🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Re: Textile Design as a 'category'
Page options
oliveiratextiles
Community Member

Textile Design as a 'category'

Hi Upwork, I've worked as a freelance textile designer with both Elance clients (couple years ago) and now here on your new sight, Upwork. I notice daily postings from clients with job offers where they list 'Graphic Designer' or 'Illustrator' in their job descriptions. And even more importantly in the list of professions under 'Design & Creative' on your 'Freelancers' page, there is no category for this very distinct industry.- TEXTILE DESIGN.

I want to emphasize that the field of Textile Design is a very separate world from Graphic Design. Understanding woven and knitted fiber, fabric printing methods-both the conventional rotary process and digital processes, and of course historical knowledge and appreciation for the beauty of ancient textiles is critically important to my success as a 21st century designer, and should be important to all clients looking to hire experienced TEXTILE artists!  If you add this category, I believe it would help clients target more qualified artists in this field. They won't have to sift through artists who may be incredibly talented but aren't trained in this industry and so may not totally understand a clients needs. I look forward to your help and comments.

Thanks so much for listening.

Dawn Oliveira

2 REPLIES 2
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Dawn,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion. We'll forward it to the team.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Could you put the endless "need 10000 tshirt designs in one day" posts in this category, too? And while you're at it, separate out WEB design and UI/UX design from GRAPHIC design, which are completely different skillsets (coding vs. visual design!)?