🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » eager to get started - need my profile review...
Page options
pinsonneault-yan
Community Member

eager to get started - need my profile reviewed

Hello hello upwork community! I've been new to this platform for about two weeks now as a video editor, and I was wondering if the community, most likely video editors like myself, could aid me in pointing out what, in their honest opinion, would need improvement on my profile and cover letter.  I've had some luck with an invitation to an interview four day into using the platform, but thus far no luck. Still keeping my chin up though. Smiley Happy Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
louisaj
Community Member

Hi Yannick,

My suggestion is to not use a cover letter. Each job application should be tailored to that job. I've never used a cover letter. I take the time to write a fresh application from scratch each time I see a job I have the skills for. This seems to work, as I have had over 120 different clients hire me. Each client is different. Each job is different. Make sure your application caters for that. 

Be formal but not too formal. Tell them how long it will take you to do the job, what format, if any, you need the files in, don't be afraid to ask them questions that have not been covered in the job advert, such as deadlines, and mention the nearest job you have completed that matches the skill set required. 

As for your profile, it's not public, so I can't see it to suggest any comments. 

Best wishes,

Louisa 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
louisaj
Community Member

Hi Yannick,

My suggestion is to not use a cover letter. Each job application should be tailored to that job. I've never used a cover letter. I take the time to write a fresh application from scratch each time I see a job I have the skills for. This seems to work, as I have had over 120 different clients hire me. Each client is different. Each job is different. Make sure your application caters for that. 

Be formal but not too formal. Tell them how long it will take you to do the job, what format, if any, you need the files in, don't be afraid to ask them questions that have not been covered in the job advert, such as deadlines, and mention the nearest job you have completed that matches the skill set required. 

As for your profile, it's not public, so I can't see it to suggest any comments. 

Best wishes,

Louisa 

@Louisa J wrote:

Hi Yannick,

<snip>

What Louisa is actually suggesting is to not use use a template for your cover letters. You still have to submit a cover letter to all jobs (unless you receive a private invite, in which case it may not be required). 

Your cover letters should most certainly contain custom info based on the job description. It's ok to include a line or 2 about your schedule and available, which you might want to include in all your cover letters.

OOOOOOOOOH! loool. ok, I made it visible to upwork users only! made sure to change that in a hurry. So, what does my profile look like? Smiley Very Happy

pinsonneault-yan
Community Member

Hello again! I've been new to this platform for about two weeks now as a video editor, and I was wondering if the community, most likely video editors like myself, could aid me in pointing out what, in their honest opinion, would need improvement on my profile, now that it's been made public.  I've had the chance with an invitation to an interview four day into using the platform, but thus far no further luck afterwards. Still keeping my chin up though. Smiley Happy Thanks in advance.

Appear for test on your relavant skills. That can help you catch the eyes of clients and try to be discriptive in sending the messages to clients. may be that can help i am also new to this platform. Smiley Happy