Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% fee 'Bring your own client'

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 254

@Alexander N wrote:

What i suggest: don't include contracts with these 0% clients into JSS calculation, top rated/rising talent, and otherwise take means to make sure they don't help a profile stand out.

Good idea....

Community Guru
Khurram J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
12 of 254

In my understanding the offer is already being given to select freelancers therefore I don't think there is going to be any misuse of this great option

However I do have a question for managment [ @Valeria K @Vladimir G ] I once brought a client who had created an account at upwork long ago but never actually hired anyone, it was me who conviced her to work with me here and since then she is regularly hiring here

Now the offer states that client must not have prior account, my suggestion is to kindly change it slightly that he/she has no previous hiring record 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 254

Khurram, that makes a lot of sense IF Upwork can somehow insure it won't be abused by scammers and the providers who don't object to stopping to dubious and against ToS methods.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 254

Hi Khurram,

Unfortunately, this discount only applies to any client you bring that is entirely new to Upwork. We can't honor the 0% service fee if they already have an existing account on Upwork.

Mishko G Member Since: Jun 29, 2017
15 of 254

Can you inform me how this can be done? I am new upwork member and I have company that wants to hire me, how can I make the invite so the 0% fee can be valid?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 254

@Mishko G wrote:

Can you inform me how this can be done? I am new upwork member and I have company that wants to hire me, how can I make the invite so the 0% fee can be valid?

You can't - you need to be top rated and get an invitation with a special link for the client to use to sign up to Upwork.

In other words:

The client can NOT already have an Upwork account

AND

You need to be top rated

AND

You need the personal link.

Mishko G Member Since: Jun 29, 2017
17 of 254

Thanks Petra for you input, this forum looks a bit weird I did not saw your reply (frankly I did not even a notification that someone replied to my post)

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 254

The important question in my mind about this otherwise great opportunity will play out is whether these clients will be explicitly exempted from the anti-circumvention policy.

I know that the policy refers to clients you "connected with" here, so I'm confident these clients would not fall within the definition if it came to a legal challenge, but a clear statement would be greatly preferred and would encourage me to bring outside clients to Upwork.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
19 of 254

Hi Tiffany,

I can confirm that you can work both on Upwork and off with offline clients you bring to Upwork through the BYOC program, and this would not be considered a violation of our Terms of Service.

Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
20 of 254

Very important point. I also asked myself this question - 'won't this lock me into working with this client through Upwork only forever?'

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS