🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078
abdulhamidmn
Community Member

my paypal name is the same as my upwork name and yet it says mismatch !!!!!

Thanks for reaching out, Ismail, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They'll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Avery
Upwork
mohammad199869
Community Member

I think I recently changed my last name from Yousaf to Y. but now my payment method is blocked and being verified. Can someone from Upwork Support please reach out as soon as possible to resolve this issue? Obviously, Y. stands for Yousaf which is my last name, is there any way we can speed up this process? I cannot have any delays.

re: "I think I recently changed my last name from Yousaf to Y."

What are you talking about?

Your last name is Yousaf.

Your last name is not Y.

If you see your last name displayed as "Y." somewhere on the Upwork website, that is just a display/formatting issue. Upwork often displays freelancers with only the their last initial, not their full name.

If you tried to actually EDIT your last name in your profile settings to change your last name to "Y.", then that was a mistake, because that is not your real last name.

If you edited your last name to "Y." and now your payment withdrawals don't work, then that is be design. Your name on your Upwork profile page needs to match your real legal name, and that needs to match your payment withdrawal account name.

It shows up as "Mohammad Bin Yousaf" according to my contact info but as "Mohammad Bin Y." on my profile's homepage. How can I fix this as soon as possible? 

Thank you for any information in advance. 

re: "It shows up as 'Mohammad Bin Yousaf' according to my contact info but as 'Mohammad Bin Y.' on my profile's homepage. How can I fix this as soon as possible?"

There is nothing to "fix."

Upwork displays names according to its own intentions, and you don't always have control over that.

The most you can do is log into your privacy settings and choose the settings you prefer. But you can't necessarily force your name to appear a certain way on Upwork's web pages.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 8.20.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 8.23.25 AM.png

I see, so it should fix itself in 48 hours which is how long Upwork says it takes for verification? 

Hi Mohammad,

If you've recently updated your name in the Contact Info section of your settings and it doesn't match the information on your payment method, please, allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

In general, as Preston noted, the name you enter in your Contact Info settings needs to be your full verifiable name. However, only first name and second initial is displayed on your profile by design. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

It is the exact same as far as I can tell. Then what could be the problem? 

Hi Mohammad,

Our team just updated your profile and your payment method should be active. If you experience any problems on your end, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
kelvintac
Community Member

👋 hello I hope you fine, kindly assist me.I have a name mismatch error on my account withdrawal method.I have been using Mpesa method to withdraw money successful but now I got this error.please help me

Hi Kelvin,

I can see that you already added your payment method on file. Please allow our team time to review the details you provided. If they need more information from you, they will reach out to you directly. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
4a006be0
Community Member

I am facing same issue. My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Please help me to fix this issue.

Thank you!

Hi Syeda,

Our team will update your payment method as well and you will be able to use it shortly. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I have similar issue. Payment method was rejected, even though my last name and the name on the bank account are exactly the same. I suspect its because in my official ID my surname has a letter Ń with a Polish accent, which I couldnt use in my US bank account data. On Upwork I also put in without an accent. Could you please verify that?

Hi Ada,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced this error. Please, allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
aldinad
Community Member

Hello, I also have the same payment issues, namely it says that my beneficiary name is not as same as my profile name, and I didn't encounter any problems before. Could you please solve this problem? Thank you.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Aldina,

Our team will update your payment method as well, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
jka2890
Community Member

Tried to pay myself today and got a notification that "The beneficiary name is mismatched" on both my bank account and debit card. 

This is the same bank account I've been using for years and I haven't edited any details. Not sure what's going on, but would be great if someone could review it soon. Thanks. 

masud669
Community Member

Hello Julia,
Normally it happens, when The account and financial name are not the same. But you are saying here, Everything is ok. So, no worries, a moderator soon would you reply here.
Thanks.

Hi Julia,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. One of our agents will be reaching out to you directly so that they can assist you further.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
4b870406
Community Member

Hello, i have problem with my payment method being deactivated because beneficiary name is mismatched. My name on my card is Mirza **Edited for Community Guidelines**, but on upwork you cant use ć so its Mirza **Edited for Community Guidelines** and i think that is the problem.

Thank you.

Hi Mirza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
mimranking
Community Member

Hi, Upwork Team and other Experts!

My name is Muhammad **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and I am a freelancer working on the Upwork platform since January 2021. Today I clicked on the Get Paid option to withdraw some money from my Upwork account and I got a message like "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary named on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. " After seeing this message, I admit that I used my Nickname on my Upwork account and wrote my real name on my bank account. But now I do not understand how to solve this problem. Is there anyone who can guide me in this issue or let me solve this issue?

Hi Muhammad,

I checked and it seems that you are already in correspondence with our team on your support ticketPlease allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
vmrodiamar
Community Member

Hello, I have been using upwork for almost 2 years now. And suddenly I got a problem on getting paid. Says my name verified is not the same with the name I have on my Bank, which is true. But as far as I remember, I have already resolved this issue long time ago.. You can check that I was able to withdraw my previous earnings..

My name on my profile is my married name but my name on my contracts is  **Edited for Community Guidelines** which is my maiden name. My bank account and paypal were also linked to **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Remember that I was able to withdraw my previous earnings having these records on my profile..

Now i have this on my get paid page settings:
Payment method verification in progress
Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

I want to change my verified name to **Edited for Community Guidelines** just like the name on my profile. I have my Marriage Contract for verification. 

Can you please help? I am having a hard time reaching your customer service.. Hope this gets resolved very soon.

Many thanks!

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Please note that you will be notified via email so that you can complete the verification process.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

THIS WAS NOT YET SOLVED. PLS FOLLOW UP -

Please note that my issue is NOT RESOLVED. You changed my name to my maiden
name again. Please refer to my Marriage contract sent..

My contract name should be VANESSA MAE ODIAMAR - same with my profile name..

The documents I have sent are my ID (registered on my maiden name - VANESSA
MAE REYES) and Marriage certificate to validate my request to update my
contract name to VANESSA MAE ODIAMAR

Hi Vanessa Mae,

I see the appropriate team is already assisting you via a support ticket directly and you have posted about your concerns there. They'll review and get back to you with an update directly.

Thanks for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you, I just want to confirm that I want to use my Husband’s surname that is why I sent the marriage contract.

Thanks
db990c51
Community Member

"The beneficiary name is mismatched" I get this notification in my account, please help how I can fix this?

Hi Wendra,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been approved and will be active within 3 days.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
ipushin
Community Member

Hi Team 👋🏼,

Facing the same issue 

A bit of a problem context.
Today I was trying to transfer money to my local bank and realized that all the bank transfer options are unavailable due to the name mismatch. I went to my account settings and double-checked that my name is verified, but realized that it was misread during the verification process. 

My second name reads "Pgshin" on Upwork while it's "Pushin" in all the documents (ID, Tax docs) I submitted while verifying my legal name. I assumed that if the verification passed the name 100% match up the submitted documents, but something went wrong.

Could you help me to fix it?

Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is approved and will be active within 3 days. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
c2661ba1
Community Member

Hello,
I am having troubles with my payments. It says: "Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

Name is the same as on Upwork, so I am not sure where the problem is?

Hi Luna,

Our team will update your payment method shortly and you will be able to withdraw your funds. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you!!!
amushiecyprian
Community Member

Hello Community..
I tried to pay out today and I noticed that my payment method has been disabled. The reason indicated was that my verified name and my bank name mismatches and the verification is in progress.
Please can you let me know how long or how far you have gone with the name verification.
Do I need to identify myself again?
Best,
Philomena.

Hi Philomena,

Our team will check your payment method shortly and will update it accordingly as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
atieno_janet
Community Member

Hi

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members