🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I close/delete my account?
Page options
e037de2a
Community Member

How do I close/delete my account?

Hello. I made a profile on Upwork. When trying to cancel, I get

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
I want to be able to fix it myself without being forced towards a phone number.
Regards, V.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Vikram,

If you'd like to close your account, first make sure you withdraw any active proposals on your Proposals page

complete and close any active contracts and don't have any available or pending balance. Then you can close your account by visiting this page. For more information and detailed steps, please visit this help article.

As a gentle reminder, please know that you will not be allowed to create a new account. If you need to use your Upwork account again in the future, you can reach out to us through our different support channels, and we will assist you with reinstating your account.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

459 REPLIES 459
isteffens
Community Member

Hi, I need to close my account. What should I do? Thanks. 

You go to your account settings then it says "Close My Account" click there

Hi Ignacio,

I'm sorry to hear that you wish to close your account but we totally respect your decision. If you want to close/erase your account and remove your information from Upwork, the first step is ensuring that all activity is cleared, including pending, active, and open activity. Please check this help article for detailed instructions on how to close a specific account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b3824d40
Community Member

I tried to close my account but I get a message to call the team at a US number, which would be too costly. How can I permanently close my account?

I don't have any pending jobs or proposals.

Do you mean you want to close your Upwork seller account?

Yes my freelancer account

Hi Mira,

Your account has been closed as requested by you.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Can you delete my freelance account because I can't do that, it's said you have a proposal active but when a go to withdraw, the job is no more.

Hi Ernasti,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
d9447fb3
Community Member

Hello, I am very frustrated not able to find the link to delete or close my Upwork profile or account. i want to delete my profile now. Please help me

Hi Suresh,

Your account has been closed as requested by you.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
57eeb8ca
Community Member

I can't delete my account or get help anywhere on the website. The contact info tab does not work and redirects me to change my password every time. Please delete my account 

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your message. I see that your account is already closed now.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
d6a0c9c5
Community Member

здравствуйте, пожалуйста, удалите мою учетную запись. Заранее благодарю вас

Hi Erica,

Your account has been closed as per your request.

~ AJ
Upwork
9815d7ed
Community Member

I want to delete my account, not just to close it.

Didn't find the solution on forum.

Please, help me with deleting it.

Hi Oksana,

I'm sorry to learn that you wish to cancel your account but we totally respect your decision. However, It looks like you still have an active proposal that needs to be withdrawn first. Please note that If you want to close/erase your account and remove your information from Upwork, the first step is ensuring that all activity is cleared, including pending, active, and open activity.

Once done, you may visit this help article for detailed instructions on how to close the account. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a9d47b0e
Community Member

A client reached out to me and was very suspiscious so I refused to accept payment or do the job outside of UpWork. The client deleted the job, and now I am unable to withdraw the connect from active proposals and close my account. Upon clicking on the active proposal I get, "This job has been removed from Upwork, so we are no longer able to retrieve your proposal."

Would appreciate some help on this.

Hello Radhika,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9815d7ed
Community Member

Hello
I asked to delete my account on upwork.com and community.upwork.com permanently, not just close it, however, as it appeared to me in response to my request, I still have open contracts. I wirhdrawed all active contracts and proposals. I still can't find instructions in the user guide on how to delete my account (rather than just close it).

So please delete my accounts permanently.

Hi Oksana,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
nikolaivlad
Community Member

Hello,

I'd like to close my account. When I clicked on 'Close account' this pop-up appeared 'Thank you for using Upwork.
At this time we are unable to close your account. You have one or more open contracts. Please close any open contracts by visiting the Contracts > Detail page.
Please note: For security purposes, you will not be able to change your username, or open a new account with the same email address.'

I went to 'Contracts' and couldn't find any contracts that are still open. Last job I did on Upwork was a year and a half ago (November/December 2021). Can you please advise?

Thank you!

hi Nikolai,

I'm sorry to hear that you wish to close your account but we always respect our valued member's decision. However, please note that If you want to close/erase your account and remove your information from Upwork, the first step is ensuring that all activity is cleared, including pending, active, and open activity.

I can also see two active contracts on your account that need to be closed first so that you can proceed with closing the account itself. Feel free to check this help article for more information and detailed instructions on how to close your account. Let us know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay,

can you please advise how I can close these contracts? I don't see the option.

I managed to find it. Thanks.

Thanks,

Nik

Hi Nikolai,

I can see that you were able to end your active contracts and successfully closed the account. Thank you for using Upwork and best of Luck!

~ Arjay
Upwork
f0f07837
Community Member

I'm having the same problem can you please close my account permanently.

Hi Aaryan,

Thank you for reaching out. Your account has been closed as per your request.

~ AJ
Upwork
634b4b9f
Community Member

The cell or mobile number I entered in my profile is being used by another email address. However, that email address has been discontinued.  How do I delete that old email address and account?

c329ffc7
Community Member

How do I delete my profile?

Hi,

Just go to profile Picture on right top corner then setting and enter to password for verification and then hit close my account. Your account will be permanently closed.

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for your message. Your account has been closed as requested by you.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
12a912ee
Community Member

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your decision. I checked your account and noticed that you have earnings on your Upwork account.

In order for you to be able to close your account, you need to withdraw all remaining funds in your Upwork balance. To do that, please go to Settings > Get Paid and click the 'Get paid now' button then withdraw all your funds. Once done, you can go to the Settings page > Contact Info tab and click 'Close account' at the bottom of the page.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
7015e324
Community Member

Hello!

I want to delete my Upwork account but I still need to close all my active proposals. However, I cannot withdraw one of my active proposals because the job was already closed. Though the job is already closed, it is still in my active proposals. Is there any way to remove that from my active proposals? Please help me, I really need to delete my account as soon as possible. 

If you have an active proposal for a job that has already been closed on Upwork, but you're unable to withdraw the proposal through the regular process, you can follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Contact Upwork Support: Reach out to Upwork Support directly and explain the situation. Inform them that you have an active proposal for a job that has been closed and that you are unable to withdraw the proposal. Provide them with the necessary details, such as the job title and any relevant information about the proposal.

2. Request assistance: In your message to Upwork Support, request their assistance in withdrawing the proposal on your behalf. Be sure to mention that you are planning to close your account and need this issue resolved before doing so.

3. Provide supporting details: It can be helpful to provide any additional information that may assist Upwork Support in identifying the specific job and proposal in question. This could include the client's name, the date you submitted the proposal, or any other relevant details you can recall.

4. Follow Up: If you don't receive an immediate response from Upwork Support, consider following up on your initial request. Polite and persistent communication will help ensure your issue receives the attention it needs.

By reaching out to Upwork Support and explaining the situation, they should be able to assist you in withdrawing the proposal for the closed job. Once the issue is resolved, you can proceed with closing your Upwork account if that is your desired course of action.

Please note that closing your account is a permanent action, and it's important to carefully consider your decision. Make sure to download any necessary information or files from your account before proceeding with the closure.

Hi Shayontika,

I've checked the job you're referring to and can confirm that it's been archived and is no longer active. I've also closed your account as requested. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
26f5b5bb
Community Member

Hi, i want to delete my account, but i cant because i have to withdraw a proposal which is active, i cant do this because job was closed/blocked. i need help

Hi Elzhan,

We're aware of the issue you raised and are taking it seriously. We’ve escalated your post to a support ticket where one of our agents can assist you further. Thank you for posting in the community!

~Andrea
Upwork
8e5b054b
Community Member

Unable to remove the team members. Can we process this so I can close my account?

Hi Nancy,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance on your concern.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members