cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would client profile details help you?

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 93

Lisa B wrote:

The most important thing for me is being able to see their profiles when receiving direct offers.  

Right now, I'm unable to learn any details about clients when they send contract offers or even direct messages to set up meetings. There's no way to view their profiles or learn anything else about them, including their ratings.  

Many freelancers receive direct offers and messages, so this really needs to be fixed ASAP.  

Thank you!

Yes, yes, yes, and it's odd that Upwork is pondering what new details to provide about clients while for direct offers and PC buys it withholds the information available through the marketplace and (with an extra click) invites.

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
12 of 93

Because the answer is obvious:

What details do freelancers want to see about a client that we can't already see?

How many times has a client filed a dispute?

How many times have freelancers filed a dispute against a client?

How many times has a client gone to arbitration?

How many times has a client initiated any formal refund request?

Basically... freelancers should be able to see if a client is a serial manipulator of the system who gets freelancers to work for them and then gets their money back from the freelancer (or tries to).

This is an excellent idea. However, I believe the site makes it easy for clients to cancel their accounts and start anew. That in itself is a good thing, as clients may wish to come and go, and restricting their access to the site makes it bad for freelancers. But when a client comes back and starts a new profile, it might be hard to keep track of their identity and past record on the site. 

Of course, in the case of a good client with a good feedback history, it's in their interests to keep the same profile to attract more freelancers. But those who cause trouble and manipulate the system usually have bad reviews and feedback, so they have nothing to lose by cancelling their accounts.

mdanasmia
Md Anas M Member Since: Jun 18, 2021
13 of 93
Yes
ceefaeca
Community Leader
Aru B Member Since: Sep 19, 2020
14 of 93

Preston H wrote:

This is kind of a silly question.

Because the answer is obvious:

What details do freelancers want to see about a client that we can't already see?

How many times has a client filed a dispute?

How many times have freelancers filed a dispute against a client?

How many times has a client gone to arbitration?

How many times has a client initiated any formal refund request?

Basically... freelancers should be able to see if a client is a serial manipulator of the system who gets freelancers to work for them and then gets their money back from the freelancer (or tries to).

Any other additional information about a client pales in comparison to the importance and significance of this.

Also, better will be to show how many contracts with the particular client closed with 0 billing. 

sourceprouk
Community Guru
Federico D Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
15 of 93

Your answer is kind of silly. What about clients who have no history in Upwork?

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
16 of 93

I agree with the stats that Preston listed, along with what is already given about clients on the job posts.

But most of all, I agree with Lisa about being able to see a client's history when receiving direct offers. 

I don't think there's any additional information needed on new clients. 

There should not be any additional information that could identify clients before an interview starts. That will just open them up to more off-platform harassment than they already see.

While I'd love to be able to see a verified name once an interview starts in order to help my vetting, I think it's a bad idea because it would just add friction that would turn good clients away.

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
17 of 93

I'd like to see client profiles, not for any specific information but because those people who fill in the information will have made a psychological investment into Upwork. And the more they're invested, the more likely they are to hire.

Should it happen, whatever information it does contain, I hope it will allow space for the client to add whatever *they* think is relevant.  

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
18 of 93

I require clients to explore a fit with me before I will accept any work. That means one or more chats. With few excptions most job pots are to enable the client to make more money. So, how does the client make money? If he sells, is it products or services or both; is it to other businesses or to consumers? I also want to know the client's footprint - How many sites, how geograpically spread? These allow me to deterine whether it is worth my while to respond.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 93

I second the info about disputes/cancellations. This would help us stay away from people who are serial disputers and cancellers.

I like to see location (country) to determine if I'll bid. Previous jobs are good too. You can see this on job posts but not on direct offers.

gina-herrera
Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
20 of 93

I agree with everything mentioned, most importantly is their history of disputes and being able to see the same information across the board for a client whether they are posting a job or reaching out directly. I HATE that i cant see any history for direct offers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS