Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
11 of 19

The contract and payment have to come through Upwork.  Once the contract is signed, you can communicate any way you wish.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 19

re: "Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to accept the offer and tell the
client to send the offer via Upwork but the actual project is done via
zoom?"

Yes, definitely.

In no way does any work need to be done using Upwork communication tools.

I have personally done many jobs that consisted purely of consulting through Zoom or other communications tools.

l_laroco
Loverlie L Member Since: Nov 21, 2017
13 of 19
Thank you. Appreciate all your responses and advice.
varungs
Community Guru
Varun G Member Since: Dec 11, 2019
14 of 19

Preston H wrote:

Google Hangouts invite = scam

Quite misleading, especially for newbies. I was hired for a new contract yesterday and billed my first hour via... Google Hangouts. It's just one factor that works in combination with more important factors (ie. no hiring history, payment not verified) to give a freelancer an overall picture of legitimacy. 

So yeah—all Google Hangouts invites are not scams!

sufi_z
Muhammad Sufian Z Member Since: May 15, 2020
15 of 19

Upwork has 80% Scam. Upwork mostly showing payment verified but  Upwork insecure earning plate form. 

1st scam ******************************$

I worked with someone and fixed his Router & Server's after he sends me a Check via mail shipping tracking detail mention on it. check amount $4370 Bank name **Edited for Community Guidelines**
I submit in my bank and bank verified money showing in my account and guys said, you got your money. Thank you very much.
After one day I opened my bank account check amount showing on hold & reverse back. I tried to email him no response. the number going on VM, Called my bank charged my $12 for check bonce. F***

2nd scam Discraption******************************$

Your resume has been reviewed online , the Human Resources of the company has decided to give you a chance to proceed to the next employment process, you have been considered and scheduled for an online interview to discuss more about the position offered.
Kindly follow steps below to proceed further with the Job briefing and Interview

STEP 1: You are required to set up a Gmail account on (www.gmail.com) then download/install the app from you app store i.e for smartphone and for PC you can download one from the Gmail webpage www.google.com/hangouts to download the app.

STEP 2: After this process, you are to add the Interview manager **Edited for Community Guidelines** on Google hangout ( **Edited for Community Guidelines** ) to your buddy list ASAP for the job briefing and comprehensive details. The Interview manager would be online waiting to talk to you. If you have any problem in setting up the Google Hangout or have any questions please email ( **Edited for Community Guidelines** ).

Interview Venue: Online Via Google Hangout
Interview Schedule: ASAP
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life and AD&D Insurance, Employee Wellness and 401k plans. Paid Time Off and Holidays with Generous Company Discounts

Best Regards,
Human Resources Department

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 19

Muhammad:
I definitely need to offer a thumbs up to anybody who provides such a vivid Discraption.

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
17 of 19

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far. I checked the job posts and it seems that both of them are already canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the clients has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Also, please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 19

Muhammad Sufian Z wrote:

I worked with someone and fixed his Router & Server's after he sends me a Check via mail shipping tracking detail mention on it. check amount $4370 
I submit in my bank and bank verified money showing in my account and guys said, you got your money. Thank you very much.
After one day I opened my bank account check amount showing on hold & reverse back. I tried to email him no response. the number going on VM, Called my bank charged my $12 for check bonce.

If you had not violated Upwork's terms of Service this wouldn't have happened.

You fell for one of the oldest and dumbest scams on the Internet. Of course the check bounced. You didn't for a second believe that any real client would send a real check to a random stranger on the Internet?

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
19 of 19

Ying M wrote:

I am new to Upwork. Recently I received a message from a hiring manager that I am selected for an interview and she gave me instructions on how to set up the interview on Hangouts. The client is new to Upwork (2020) and only has this one job posted. Their payment method is not verified on Upwork. I've completed the interview on Hangouts with a manager from this company, and he told me that they will send me an offer letter soon. I got suspicious because the manager asked me to add him again on a different Hangout account (becuase he couldn't send out more messages on the old one) and that I couldn't find his name on LinkedIn or Google. Is there a way to check if this job is valid or a scam?

If you familiarize yourself with upwork terms, you will recognize scams very fast. For some reason, scammers use the terms hiring manager or similar, not an usual term in the real world. They will conduct an "interview" on google hangout, gain your confidence, maybe promise full time employment (that's not what upwork is for), and finally, if you happen to live in the US, offer to send you a check. Read what happens then below in the response of another freelancer. 

So the first thing you need to recognize is if anything violates upwork ToS, and secondly if they are trying to steal your identity, or money, ot both. 

Finally, anytime you ask yourself if this is a scam, it most likely is. Most clients will not even interview before hiring.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS