๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Re: To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
Jeanne H Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes. 

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,873 REPLIES 1,873
Faraz A Community Member

Dear Bhavsinh:

Since I was also in starting, did not get any job in last one year. But after some hardworking Alhamdollilah, I Got my first job, mean while I got second job offer. But dont loose your temprament and keep it up, you will get suitable job for your choice.

Regards.

Adil M Community Member

Very well Sir.

Faraz A Community Member

Thanks Adil:

I have gone through your profile, its looking nice.

Regards.

William T C Community Member

Bhavsinh,

Please use three Skills in the Title, create a compelling four paragraph Summary minus the emoticons with a focus on the first sentence because it appears in client search, and get the JSS to 90%+ by doing an outstanding job.

Fati M Community Member

Great ๐Ÿ‘

Filip K Community Member

Nobody likes to be approached to be a free mentor. Just saying... 

Mainul I Community Member

You are right.

Mainul Islam
Ahmed F Community Member

Good

Fati M Community Member

Yes

Shawn W Community Member

Can you tell us what to network for, if not for help getting a job? 

(I'll be honest, getting work is my main focus around this place.)

Networking is for freelancers with skills who want to share ideas or perhaps build a list of competent freelancers to recommend. It is not for asking/begging/pleading/demanding/guilting others into helping them or giving them jobs. I receive a ton of these messages all the time. When I give freelancers the tools to help themselves, so far approximately 90% do absolutely nothing.

Of course, having work is the focus. However, all freelancers need to learn how to find jobs on their own, with the tremendous amount of help laid out by Upwork and in the forum. No one should be contacting another freelancer, ever, for a job.

If you don't know the Terms of Service and have not read through every link in the top post - do not contact anyone. Freelancers must do the basics before trying to get a job, or contacting anyone privately for help. How do you think I can help 100+ people every day? Shall I donate my time 24/7 to people who are primarily too lazy to help themselves?

I network on Upwork with few people. I use my contacts to share ideas, learn about new things in my field, and generally discuss freelancing practices. None of my network has ever asked for a job, nor have I. Too many people don't know what networking is, and have decided to be on everyone's list. To what end?

If someone goes through all the information I have posted, they don't need me to lead them by the hand. It's why I went to the effort of making the post in the first place. Despite what many have told me, I don't owe anyone a thing. I am under no obligation to give anyone a job, even if they don't have money. I am also under no obligation to provide extensive ongoing business advice.

From Investopedia:

Networking is the exchange of information and ideas among people with a common profession or special interest, usually in an informal social setting. Networking often begins with a single point of common ground.

Professionals use networking to expand their circles of acquaintances, find out about job opportunities in their fields, and increase their awareness of news and trends in their fields or the greater world.

MD N Community Member

Great!

Divakaran K Community Member

Please review my profile and give recommendations.

Regards

Isaac K Community Member

I will appreciate reviewing of my profile and guidance towards at least getting one job. I am very new in upwork.

Kind regards
Isaac M Kimani

Go back to the top post, read it, and then follow all the links to the Academy and other resources. You need to learn about setting up a profile and portfolio. The introduction speaks about you - but not the amazing things you are going to do for the client with your skills. Also, your history should be in past experiences or employment in a different part of your profile, not in the introduction.

Getting a job requires skills, lots of proposals, many connects, patience, determination, and time. It's not easy to get a job, and most fail because they have no skills. There are successful freelancers here, so it can be done.

Your profile needs considerable work as nothing much is there. Go back to the top post, read it, and follow every link. You need to learn the Terms of Service, the Red Flags from Wes, and everything in the Academy. Currently, you are a target for scammers because of your profile. Learn how to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

Kuldeep Singh V Community Member

I need to start my first job on upworks. Kindly help me.... after submission of many proposals, i didn't get any job. I am new here on upworks. Can somebody help me?

You need to go back to the top and follow all the links in the post. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes. Your profile needs work. You have a long list of qualifications, but little information on what you will do for the client. Also, you need more in your portfolio.

You will learn more about how to write your profile and proposals in the Academy. If you are writing proposals in the same manner as your profile, the client is not receiving information on why you, specifically, should be hired over other freelancers.

Deepa N Community Member

I need to start my first job on upworks. Kindly help me.... after submission of many proposals, i didn't get any job. I am new here on upworks. Can somebody help me?

Clark S Community Member

Other freelancers cannot help you get a job on Upwork.

Your profile is set to private, so we cannot see if there are any problems with your profile.

Stanley Uchenna M Community Member

Could you kindly look at mine too please

Khamis O Community Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. But please, what and what does networking involve? I want to be sure, so I don't end up breaching people's privacy. Let me confess. I've sent messages to fellow freelancers in the past asking for insights about some skills or soliciting their support in learning a new skill. I hope nothing is wrong with this.

There is nothing wrong with connecting and talking with other freelancers. However, there are some things that should not be done. Asking, pleading or demanding a job is not OK. Harassing people by contacting them multiple times after they have said to go away. Or anything that is rude or demanding.

I'm not saying you have done these things, I'm talking to those who do.

Personally, when I receive demands, they go straight to delete. When I see freelancers who have done absolutely nothing, not even a photo, they go straight to delete.

I'm not fond of random requests, but there are freelancers who have hundreds in their "network" or messaging system. If you have many people in your network, a lot of time and bandwidth goes into posts like, "Hi", or "How is everybody"? etc. It's entirely up to you how many people are in your network.

Tarakeshwar R Community Member

Yes it is true

Md Jobayer H Community Member

Yes

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members