🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » To all freelancers looking for help
Page options
the-right-writer
Community Member

To all freelancers looking for help

I have always had freelancers come to me for help. In the last year, the river has swelled into an enormous ocean.

You don't need me; Upwork provides an enormous amount of information that few ever use. If, after you have gone through all the information I provide, you still have questions, that is when you ask additional questions in the forum.

If you think you will make big bucks right away, you are mistaken. The majority of freelancers never land a job because they have no skills and aren't interested in educating themselves. Others believe online freelancing is a path to full-time employment. It can be, but highly unlikely on this platform.

Freelancing is not for everyone. It means you are self-employed and must adhere to all regulations and laws governing responsibilities, such as paying taxes. Freelancing means you are on your own. No one has your back, including Upwork. If you don't follow the rules, no one will or can help you.

If you are willing to work hard, follow the rules and prepared to spend a lot of connects and proposals, you can be successful, as many are on Upwork. While so many fail, it is almost always due to lack of skills and treating freelancing like employment  where the employer will make sure you do the job correctly.

If you want to succeed, start with the Terms of Service, then read this from Wes.

Then go here. Then here.  Next, check this site regularly for events such as webinars and other learning opportunities.

After that, go here for safety information, and then here. If you still need help, after you have gone through all the previous steps, you can find additional help here. This thread is dedicated to new freelancers. And here are announcements from Upwork that can help keep you up to date.

It will take some time to go through all the information. I'm not suggesting people should not post in the forum, I am suggesting before you ask questions and want help, you need to help yourself first.

From Prashant P: "And have relevant profile picture of your face.  Not some desks, or Mickey mouse, or full face covering." 

From Susan S: "And patience! Have patience! It takes a while to get started, even after going through all the information available."

From Martina P:  "Only one thing you forgot, namely telling people to use all 15 skills, if you have all 15 skills"

And with advice from Maria T, I will say, 

Refrain from personal messages, please read all the links I have added.

1,641 REPLIES 1,641
11ed68a2
Community Member

I didn't use upwork for 1.2 years, because whenever I applied for a job, I didn't get any response. So I gave up freelancing. It was only after 1.2 years that I decided to look at tutorials related to Upwork and realized my mistake. I applied for 1 job, they invited me for an interview, 2 the job was fake but upwork immediately sent me an email saying that the job was not in accordance with their rules, 3 I got an offer from an employer. Thanks to the upwork instructions, I started to understand how upwork is actually used.
PS. You don't need to give up early, and it takes a little effort to achieve your goals.

b3a569df
Community Member

Please review my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0100e3e9e4f6c04cd0?viewMode=1 and leave some suggestions on how to increase profile views and invitations. Looking forward to your help.
Thank you

The first line of your profile is all clients see in a search. This is your opportunity to let the clients know why your skills are superior. Don't use skills, greetings or anything besides what's the most important thing the clients need to know.

Instead of the lists, form the lists into paragraphs, and remove the emojis/graphics/checks. Instead of a sentence, make strong statements. "In today's digital landscape, compelling copywriting is essential for grabbing attention and fostering engagement." Instead, put yourself and your skills in the statement. Make it into a little narrative. For example, As an expert in navigating today's digital landscape, my compelling copywriting is essential for grabbing attention and fostering engagement. Slight changes, but it helps. I would add a bit more in the paragraphs, fully covering your skills.

𝘕𝘰𝘵𝘦: 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘩𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘷𝘦, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘢𝘮 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘥𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘭𝘰𝘳 𝘮𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘶𝘢𝘭 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘯 . -

I suggest you remove this statement, or at least, reword it. It may give the impression that you haven't developed all of your skills. I would leave out, "These classifications are not comprehensive."

It's obvious you have put in the work to have a good profile, and with a bit of tweaking, it can be amazing.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your feedback

ca883c38
Community Member

Hi everyone!

My name's Jesús...

I've a lot of questions:
How, where can I check that my profile is 100% complete; Is there a problem??

How, where can I check that my proposals are REALLY received and reviewed by interested potential clients? There is NO indicator that the proposal was reviewed!

More than two months trying to get my first contract and I don't have any type of message, observation, comment; what's the problem?

I leave my email as a means to receive notifications, suggestions, guidance, etc.

facturas.jesus.palomo@gmail.com

Thank you!
Greetings...

You need to start at the beginning, so go back to the top pinned post, and read it, and follow every link. I would suggest a different photo to remove the background images. It makes the photo distracting, and clients like to match a face to the profile. Your profile is mostly empty. Also, you are wasting the top line, the only one client's see in a search. Use that first line to tell the clients why you are the best choice for the job, and be ready to back up your claims with hard skills.

Your profile is the place to expand on your skill and what you can do for the client with them. Use a narrative, and explain precisely what skills you have, and how they will benefit clients. In addition, you need to add work to your portfolio.

There are a lot of groups on Upwork, perhaps finding one with other freelancers with your skills might give you some ideas.

Until you complete your profile, and read through all of the rules and best practices, do not apply for jobs. You are at high risk for being scammed. Make sure you read and follow the Terms of Service, and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

Your email will be removed for community guidelines. People can comment here, or send you private messages, but not emails.

The best way to deter scammers and attract clients is with a complete, professional profile, demonstrating that you are knowledgeable about Upwork rules and your profession.

4fca9440
Community Member

Thank you for all your help!!

0938e9b8
Community Member

I absolutely adore this post! Thank you Jeanne H for this. I am laughing because I read, and followed here, here, here, and here. I found one place I hadn't seen yet and subscribed, then from there I clicked on your thread and the other 'here', and wouldn't you know it, I am right on track!

It is good to know that I am right where I am supposed to be, doing exactly what I need to do, to get to the next place. That, and I have been searching for my 'self-confidence' and I think I located it through all the classes, and this post. 

I agree, this is not an overnight sensation but an everyday grind just to get through a moment in the day. One day, the persistence and drive will pay off, until that day, I will keep learning and pushing to learn more. 

Thank you!

mahadir46
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I hope all are doing well. Before I'm in 100% JSS. That time I have some health issues. So, I'm not touch with Upwork platform properly. Now my JSS is 62% very low. And Connects are very expensive. If I submit the proposal I can't win the the interview. Can you Guide me please. How to get the job?

This is my profile Link :link: (https://www.upwork.com/fl/~01331bf271806cca5d)

Please Guide me how to improve my profile

I'm waiting for your Feedback.

Thank you.

First, change the background color on your photo to a neutral solid. I understand you want to stand out in the crowd, but it does not come across as professional, but rather as something you might use in social media. You need to read and follow all the links in the top pinned post in this thread.

You are wasting the first line of your profile, the only thing clients see in a search. Don't use greetings, names, skills, or your name - they see that on your profile. Use that space to tell the client why you have the best skills for the job. Your profile is far too long, with too many lists, and graphics and emojis. They all need to go. Form the information into four paragraphs. You will have to condense the information.

Change your fee to an even dollar amount. Change the font to regular - remove the italics and bolds. Bold should be used very sparingly, and only for emphasis.

"🟢 𝐂𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐊 the green ‘𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐉𝐎𝐁’ button in the top right-hand corner."

"P.S. Don't leave this page without clicking the '𝐈𝐍𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐉𝐎𝐁' button. It's a sign:top_arrow: we should start talking about improving your business!"

This stuff is ll over your page and needs to go. It makes you look desperate. Clients don't like desperate freelancers and will run away. Scammers will mark you as a target, because they can tell you haven't read the rules and aren't following best practices.

I have no idea why you have an enormous paragraph full of keywords to "find you." If they are on the page, they found you. Remove that entire paragraph and don't use it.

Go back to the top post, read it and follow all links. A complete, professional profile will help you attract clients.

In your proposal, the first two lines are all the client see, even when boosting, so don't use names, greetings, skills, etc. Tell the client why your skill will result in a great project.

I did the same but not all steps that you mentioned.

Go through every step, and if you still have questions, let me know.

b3d34afa
Community Member

Hi, How can I get my First Job means first contract with the client.

Your profile is set to private. The profile is crucial to letting the clients know what you offer.

Go back to the top post, read it, and follow every link. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams from Wes.

9850f5a5
Community Member

Hello William,

could you please review my profile and give me some tips on what kind of improvements I shoud make?

Thanks a lot!

Because you are new, you need to go back to the top post and follow all of the links. First, change the background of your photo to a plain, neutral color. Currently, the background is too busy, and your face isn't clear. Clients like to see who they are working with.

The first line is all the clients see in a search. Don't waste it with greetings, your name, or skills. The first sentence is your opportunity to grab the client's attention. Use the space to tell the client why you are the best choice, backed up by hard skills. There are many millions of freelancers on the platform, so the competition is fierce. In addition, there are scammers who look for people to scam by their profile. It is important to have an excellent profile that looks like you are an absolute professional to deter scammers and attract clients.

Don't use a question as your first line. Make a solid statement about how you can use your skills to do amazing things. Your profile is mostly empty. It should be at least two or three short paragraphs. Use the space to expand on your skills, experience, special projects, and anything that demonstrates to the client why they should hire you.

Remove the graphics at the bottom of the page.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Best wishes!

Yes, I can.
ebe07fdc
Community Member

Hi Jeanne, thanks for the tips. I would try to send multiple proposals, the problem is that I already did that and ended up with zero connections. I got an interview once or twice over 2 years. I don't understand why it takes so long, is it for the bad private reviews? And it's not that I don't have skills, I have already worked in two different medium companies in person. I had to join Upwork because there were cuts in my editor area and many were laid off.  I was finding work in person but is very difficult being deaf. It takes many years to get one with the most confident person. Almost all jobs require listening.

Remotely, not all, but when there are video calls some clients hang up and disappear. Isn't easy and I just want to work hard and exploit everything I have studied and experienced like everyone else.

It has been difficult for many freelancers in the last couple of years, and in some ways, it's getting much worse. Working in the physical world is completely different from freelancing, and it takes time to prove yourself. No matter how many skills you bring, until you have a few excellent jobs, clients consider you an unknown. Many freelancers send upwards of 70–100 proposals before bing hired.

Consider yourself lucky with video disappearances. Those are scams. The scammer(s) won't appear on camera because they have lied about everything, including, likely, their appearance, location, the job, and it's a total scam. Insisting on having a video with the client is a good way to send the scammers running.

Deafness adds an element to navigate. I have some ideas that might help in a small way that I will send you. Do you identify as having a disability? There are ways to market the fact. Through Upwork, you can have that on your profile. There is a section when you edit the profile.

There are more people that identify as having a disability than ever before. Those people use platforms too, or they would if they knew they could do so without serious problems and hassles. In addition, some clients seek out people with disabilities because they want to support them, and they know if you can navigate a world designed for people without disabilities, you can handle multiple job requirements.

euphemia77
Community Member

Very helpful. Thank you 

20ddcd67
Community Member

This was awesome. I learned a lot. Thank you so much Jeanne. 

1f3ecdb4
Community Member

I had bonuses from a client for a job. At first, their status was Pending, after the contract was closed, the status changed to Returned Bonus. The money did not appear on the banalns. What's the matter?

I hope you received full payment for the job.

Returned bonus is a matter of semantics. It really means there is no payment. It means the card limit has been exceeded, the card is expired, etc. or the client used a stolen number. The client can also dispute to their card company and file a chargeback. If you received payment that was not reversed, the card number is valid. Or it was at that time.

You need to contact Upwork for more information on the matter, and to find out if there is any further action you can take. Once you know the cause, you might try reaching out to the client, but that doesn't usually work. Bonuses should never be considered part of the payment. They should be paid after the payment for work, or along with it. They should never be accepted first, or instead of a regular payment. In addition to the other reason to avoid them, as payment Upwork offers no protection, implied or otherwise, on bonus payments.

21925a6d
Community Member

Thanks for sharing the information

7966b5e7
Community Member

Thank you for the information.

c5378809
Community Member

Hi Jeanne! I had a 100% JSS, but it recently dropped to 69% because a client gave me a bad private rating. However, the rating that is visible on my profile from that project is still 4.7 stars. I had a 5-star rating from the previous projects I had completed. Can you please give me some advice on how to land new projects? 

I have noticed that other freelancers on Upwork have similar profiles to mine (similar number of completed projects and ratings) and have received a public rating of 1 star, yet their JSS is still higher than mine. Could you please help me understand this situation? Thank you for your time and assistance.

The public ratings are a tiny part of your JSS. Although we don't know the algorithm or program for controlling the JSS, we know the private feedback carries significant weight. There are additional factors, including length of job, amount, etc.

All you can do is write stellar proposals and look forward.

Because every freelancer has different rates, fees for services, methods of working, amounts for jobs, etc. the JSS calculation will be different. The formula is secret, because if known, some people would cheat.

Being a native or bilingual speaker in three languages sets you apart from the many program translators that exist here, and should benefit you. If you know what happened with the client, resolve to make sure those issues do not exist for the next job. Although 69% seems awful, there are plenty of freelancers who have recovered and went on to be highly successful.

At this point, all you can do is write stellar proposals, and do will when hired. It won't be easy or quick, but you can recover. Good luck.

Hey, Jeanne! Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me. Thank you! I'll take your advice, submit proposals and be patient for now 🙂

ae1e5b60
Community Member

I really appreciate this helpful information! As someone new to job hunting, I'm eager to adhere to all the necessary rules and guidelines.

Community Member

i have no connects  because i am a poor girl I need a job on upwork please help me 

No one can help you get connects. You either use the ones you get for free - and don't apply for any jobs after that, or you have to buy connects. If you have so little money that you can't spend it, and not be depriving yourself or your family, then perhaps freelancing is not the path you should be taking now.

Freelancing requires marketable skills, money to run the business, including buying connects, time, patience, motivation, and, again, those marketable skills. If you don't have one or more of those qualifications, you will not make any money here. I'm not being mean or discouraging you, but I am being honest. I hate seeing anyone lose their last few dollars here.

If you want to freelance, go back to the top pinned post, and follow every link. You need to create a complete and professional profile, and learn how to use the platform safely. Only you can decide if you can afford to freelance.

21925a6d
Community Member

Great input.

ff64583d
Community Member

Hey Jeanne,

Your insights are invaluable for freelancers navigating Upwork. It's true, that success here requires more than just signing up. Education, diligence, and patience are key. Your roadmap of resources is gold. Remember, self-sufficiency is crucial in freelancing. Dive into the wealth of info Upwork offers, and you'll be on the right track. And thanks for highlighting the importance of a professional profile picture — it's your first impression! Keep sharing your wisdom; it's a beacon for newcomers.

jannaqueen
Community Member

Appreciate this!

ff64583d
Community Member

Please review my profile:  https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011077541f38cf4134 and leave some suggestions on how to increase profile views and invitations. Looking forward to your help.
Thank you

I reviewed your profile and while I see you have worked on it, it can be improved. Don't use greetings or names in the introduction. The top line of your profile is all clients see in a search. The first line should be rewritten to tell the client why you are the best choice for the job. Don't list every country where you have worked in the top portion. If you want to use it, put it below. Instead of the lists, use paragraphs. The introduction should be in paragraphs.

Use a comma or other way to define your skills title. It can easily be mistaken for a 1 or an I.

Why does your large business card say "Virtual Assistant"? You have too many skills floating around and need to present a professional image throughout your profile. Decide what your skills are, and what you can do with them.

You will benefit from reading the top post, and following all of the links.

b1dbee20
Community Member

Yowtch!  What else are you thinking?  Respectfully.

I'm guessing you are addressing me, because I wrote the post.

I'm thinking that you don't believe freelancers are responsible for themselves. That, and offering helpful information, is all I have written. I'm thinking you must be new to the realm of freelancing.

If you would like to elaborate, I will respond. I'm always curious why people will not take responsibility for themselves.

If I am misinterpreting your comment, please let me know. Also, if you tell me what you find disturbing, I can enlighten you to the issues of using a platform safely.

44e36790
Community Member

Hello Jeanne! Thanks for the helpful work you do.

I'd like you to review my profile and let me know what I can tweak to make it better - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0106dc70d4dc76ac21

Thanks and I'll be looking forward to feedback.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members