🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork ! Please take these jobs down ASAP!
Page options
aitringo
Community Member

Upwork ! Please take these jobs down ASAP!

Id1 : 01fdc04a0d1d46b539

Id2 : 015f534eac7d95405b

Id3 : 018d2c54fef294e201

The so-called client generated more than $10k by reposting the SAME SCAM again and again. In less than 24hr.

Please do something!

Other ones flagged by another contributor :

Id4 : 012972b69f52281fa2
Id5 : 01a5f0b207b865e210
Id7 : 018990842ae247e7d2

Id8 : 01fdc04a0d1d46b539  <=== this one is labeled as "INTERESTING JOB"

Thank's @Petra

71 REPLIES 71
aitringo
Community Member

Here is one of the victims: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Got-Bonus-0-Work-Hours-Still-Pending/m-p/1009362#M636721

We would like to see the associated client accounts banned for life.

Thanks,

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Outrageous that this could happen here. I'm sure Upwork will do something to make sure it can't happen again.

Absolutely!

I'm trying to contact a CS agent, but can't figure out how to enter the chat!

So frustrating, knowing that these scammers are making now even more money...

Yes, but not off Upwork itself, or clients.

Sorry peter I didn't get your point of view 🤔

I meant that if Upwork itself, or even clients, were losing money to scammers like this instead of it being freelancers, I think their response might be a little different.

nyonomega0
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines** job is still live and is being labeled as"interesting" by Upwork.

It's been 9 hours since it was posted but hasn't been removed by Upwork.

**Edited for community guidelines**

And also, just look at this last review -

**Edited for community guidelines**

Let's see if these screenshots are removed first or the job post...

Sushant B wrote:

Let's see if these screenshots are removed first or the job post...

Chances are it'll be the screenshots.

Next we'll have W***q M. post, wondering why his $1900 bonus isn't clearing...

There's an even bigger contract than this in the work in progress tab. Was started on 28 and is showing $2,200 in billing already.

Sushant B wrote:

There's an even bigger contract than this in the work in progress tab. Was started on 28 and is showing $2,200 in billing already.

Yes, I saw that, too. That freelancer is in for a huge shock in a few days when the 5 days are up and the bonus never clears.

aitringo
Community Member

Even after the team member responds, the job posts (scams) are still there. This is unacceptable (even with all the goodness in the world).

PS: I keep refreshing this page, and the job posts page, to see which one will disappear first LOL!

aitringo
Community Member

@Petra BINGO!

The screenshots have been removed, but the scam posts are still there!

This is ridiculous 

I can confirm that the screenshots have been removed but the job post is still there.

Sadly! I confirm too!

JoanneP

Hi Mohamed,

Please feel free to report this to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

To contact our support team, you can click the question mark icon that shows at the bottom right corner of this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, go ahead and select the best option. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can click "Ask something else" for more options, including contacting our support team. Please feel free to share more information with us here in the community and we'll gladly help you with it. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
aitringo
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

First: I already reported the job offers, and guess what? nothing happened, the offers are still there.

Second: I followed the steps to contact an agent, and guess what, once again, the genius robot didn't get it.

I don't understand why it takes several hours to delete a job post that, on the one hand, violates the Upwork rules and, on the other hand, is clearly a scam.

Also, I see that during the weekend your reactivity time is very slow, this doesn't make sense because scammers are more active on weekends.

PS: I already posted a thread here to point out that the bot is not working, and it still is.

We have to do something if we want the platform to last in time.

Hi Mohamed and Sushant,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to us. Please know that the reported jobs are being reviewed carefully by the team assigned to review them. We really do appreciate your effort in helping us keep up in reviewing possible violations so that we can take action as soon as possible. I have already followed up with the team so that they can look into this as soon as possible. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
aitringo
Community Member

Joanne, don't take it personally, but I still say that the reaction time is too slow.

The process of removing scam posts should be faster, if not instantaneous.

• I flagged these posts half a day ago, others have done it days ago.
  • I created this post 4 hours ago.
  • We only got the answer 1 hour ago.
  • And as I write this, we just got confirmation that a member is starting to check.

If we're being honest, the time it took for all this to happen allowed the scammers to collect over $10k in crypto. The freelancers paid off.

PS: the Scam Posts in question are still there...

Joanne, these jobs don't need to be "carefully reviewed" - it's painfully obvious at the merest glance (!) and if that isn't proof enough, they have already scammed several freelancers. I flagged one of these jobs 9 hours ago, so if your team isn't capable of figuring out that it's a scam by now, then they need better training. How much more proof do you need? 

Joanne Marie P wrote:

I have already followed up with the team so that they can look into this as soon as possible. 

We're already looooong past "as soon as possible". Upwork has really dropped the ball on this one.

Also, your warning post about scams ought to be amended to include this type of scam. The usual red flags of payment offered outside the platform, communication required outside the platform, unverified payment method, bad reviews - none of these things were red flags on these job posts. (Of course, the really big red flag is the utter stupidity and impossibility of such "jobs" being legitimate in the first place, but here we are, apparently.)

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Mohamed and Sushant,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to us. Please know that the reported jobs are being reviewed carefully by the team assigned to review them. We really do appreciate your effort in helping us keep up in reviewing possible violations so that we can take action as soon as possible. I have already followed up with the team so that they can look into this as soon as possible. 

Joanne...

If the fact that it's a blatantly obvious scam isn't enough for Upwork to take these down immediately on being reported, perhaps this will do it. Trading in UC appears to be against **Edited for Community Guidelines** TOS (**Edited for Community Guidelines** section 9b) which makes it against Upwork's TOS. Now can y'all take them down?

petra_r
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Please feel free to report this to us using the flagging option. 

Joanne, I've been flagging them for the last 2 days, while watching freelancer after freelancer losing what is a huge amount of money for them. I even explained in painstaking detail how it works, just in case that isn't obvious to anyone taking more than a cursory look.

Freelancers who can least afford it have lost MANY THOUSANDS of Dollars now.

Yesterday I saw that one appeared to have been taken down, but they left the same "client's" other job posts up so the "client" just kept scamming freelancers from those to their heart' content. Isn't it obvious that when you take one job post down, you glance at the others?

And there are still SEVEN  **Edited for Community Guidelines** of them with the same phrase alive and kicking. Plus many more with slightly different titles. Every minute those stay up is a chance for a freelancer to get scammed. They've all been flagged.

So I would encourage you to find someone with the authority to take the whole lot down right now, along with everything else those "clients" posted.

Just to be clear: This is another situation where a scammer is exploiting a very strong human emotion: GREED. At the promise of seemingly money for nothing, the people who fall victim to this clearly switch their brains off because anyone willing to stop and think for a minute would understand that there is no chance of any real client ever paying $1400 to a stranger on the Internet (over and over) to get $400 worth of virtual money. That sort of thing simply doesn't happen.

So yes, the victims still facilitate this nonsense. But this is SO transparent and SO obvious, there is no reason for Upwork to not just take the darned things down and be done with it.

aitringo
Community Member

I confirm! Same on my side, all have been flagged.

When do you plan to take action? please

aitringo
Community Member

Thank's Petra! 👍

The others are added to the original post...

I hope it's not in vain!

aitringo
Community Member

Joanne, please take down all these: All related to the same scammer. 

Id1 : 01fdc04a0d1d46b539

Id2 : 015f534eac7d95405b

Id3 : 018d2c54fef294e201

Id4 : 012972b69f52281fa2
Id5 : 01a5f0b207b865e210
Id7 : 018990842ae247e7d2

Id8 : 01fdc04a0d1d46b539  <=== this one is labeled as "INTERESTING JOB"

petra_r
Community Member

Mohamed A. A wrote:

<=== this one is labeled as "INTERESTING JOB"

Another one the scammer was gifted "Plus Client" by Upwork,

They no doubt had a really good giggle about that.

aitringo
Community Member

No wayyyy 😱

The one labelled "Interesting job" is still up - how is this possible? And "Debbie" has hired four more people - and counting - on that job. At least somebody finally gave them a review saying "This client is a scammer", but I'm guessing that people who think they can make $1,000 for a few minutes of work are probably not carefully checking the client's history.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

This "job" is still up - 24 hours later! - and they've just scammed another person, who has left them a 5-star review. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

So apart from every other ludicrous aspect of this "job", the client is pretending to be from the UK and saying that they can't use their credit card for "international transactions" - yet they can be charged in U.S. dollars via California-based Upwork to hire the freelancer? Hello?????

I just checked the freelancer's profile who left him a 5* review and I saw this:

Screenshot 2022-01-29 4.58.43 PM.png

I'm feeling really bad for these freelancers.

Me too! I stopped my work, I stopped checking other threads! I can't even sleep now.

I'm just checking these scam posts, waiting for someone to delete them.

I'm sick of it! 

aitringo
Community Member

Several hours later, 4 Scam offers out of 7 are still there!

Why ?

Hi all,

I'd like to follow up on the concern you've shared in this thread and clarify that our team did review and took action against jobs you flagged by using the reporting option and later shared on the thread. I've checked and followed up with our team to ensure these posts are no longer accessible from direct links, which is why they appear as still being available.

We appreciate your reports but I'd like to ask you to continue flagging jobs like these if you come across them instead of posting their links, screenshots or quoting their content in the Community. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir, the jobs haven't been taken down - the same one that I flagged 11 hours ago is still in my jobs feed, and the "submit proposal" button is active. If you do a search for "PUBG UC" you can easily find them.

Vladimir G wrote:

I've checked and followed up with our team to ensure these posts are no longer accessible from direct links, which is why they appear as still being available.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

There are 4 there as of just now, one with a "other jobs by this poster" that doesn't include the pubg part so isn't coming up in the search. Two of those jobs are 10 days or older.

Vladimir G wrote:

I'd like to follow up on the concern you've shared in this thread and clarify that our team did review and took action against jobs you flagged by using the reporting option and later shared on the thread.

Too little.

Too late.

It's not your fault or that of any of the community team, but here Upwork has really, REALLY failed freelancers.

Here is the next victim...

He did TWO "jobs" with the "client" - one of them to the tune of $2k

Vladimir G wrote:

We appreciate your reports but I'd like to ask you to continue flagging jobs like these if you come across them instead of posting their links, screenshots or quoting their content in the Community. Thank you.

But doing that didn't WORK.

If someone had done something when this was first brought to Upwork's attention, many people would not have lost money they can't afford to lose.

The other thread raged all day yesterday. NOTHING happened and we watched in horror as freelancer after freelancer was being taken for all their money.

That was a whole day after I and at least one other person flagged this - long before anything appeared in the forum.

Vladimir G wrote:

I've checked and followed up with our team to ensure these posts are no longer accessible from direct links, which is why they appear as still being available.

I am at a loss as to what that even means, but they still appear in searches and can still be accessed, can still be applied to and can still lose the freelancers' money. The one that is marked as an "interesting job" comes up as the first result in the search with the main keyword. As it is so important not to have a link, please feel free to run a search. I am sure you still have the relevant keywords from all the edited posts. Also check out the client's "other job posts" - which are also scams. And still there.

And even if they have/had now, finally, been taken out, that's like sending a fire-engine to the scene of a huge fire 2 days after it started burning down and the first 999 call was made.

Hey Petra,

I actually submitted a proposal to the job that was labeled interesting to see what's the deal. And the poster even reacted with my proposal. But when I checked the proposal from the "Submitted proposals" tab, it said that the job has been taken down. And now when I checked it again after reading your post through "search", it is still active and can be applied to. I believe it's a major bug.

Three of these "jobs" are still up.

Vladimir G wrote:

I'd like to follow up on the concern you've shared in this thread and clarify that our team did review and took action against jobs you flagged by using the reporting option and later shared on the thread. I've checked and followed up with our team to ensure these posts are no longer accessible from direct links, which is why they appear as still being available.

At the risk of beating a dead horse (though this one seems to still be kicking): This scam is the second item in Lena's "how to recognize a scam" post that's linked from the "Getting Started on Upwork" thread. So I'm really baffled by how long it's taking Upwork to recognize and react to it.

Quoting from that post:

Additionally, talent should not send payment in any currency to clients off the platform for any reason, even in exchange for payment on the platform. Be cautious of requests to buy, sell, or transfer currencies of any kind (regular or crypto). Being asked to buy, sell, trade, or transfer any form of currency, even for a fee on Upwork, is prohibited and should be reported

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members