cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Auto Check-ins"?

Highlighted
Kayla B Member Since: May 12, 2017
31 of 129

No one is saying there isn't a potential need for some sort of project management tool to automate checkins. There might be a system that would actually be useful.

What we are saying, unanimously, is that this isn't it.

There are no user cases that this helps rather than just annoys. Because for hourly contracts you already communicate what you are working on in the work diary, and for milestones the tasks are delineated. Also having the feature on short contracts is even more ridiculous because there is no previous week and there is no next week.

You might keep trying to state that the client can elect not to use it, but you have to understand that the bulk of clients do not understand Upwork's complicated platform to begin with. You do not do nearly enough to onboard clients, instead making it your freelancer's problem. (So in addition to paying 20% to you, I'm also forced to work as your ambassador, onboarding every new client and teaching them how to use the platform.)

Adding new features they barely understand causes me extra work. Because they assume incorrectly that these features are there to help them and assume they should use them. Because they assume Upwork knows what it's doing. 

This feature isn't any more useful to new freelancers than established ones, especially because they won't feel capable/emboldened to push back against it. So instead now they'll be wasting time every week trying to answer questions that at best duplicate information that already exists elsewhere or at worst aren't even answerable.

You say it's a test feature well, HERE IS YOUR FEEDBACK.

We hate it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 129

Lena E wrote:

They may lack that structured cadence. They may struggle with communicating and providing updates. They may not see the need to communicate and update their client or not realize the client may be waiting for updates. New freelancers and clients for example may have different expectations as they get acclimated to the platform or to remote work in general. Communication is important for a project's success. For those who NEED a structured approach this a tool could be useful for them. 

Right. So does Upwork assume that clients are idiots and unable to simply ask for an Update?

And you are saying that because of an incompetent minority the competent majority are harassed by Upwork with frankly asinine claptrap?

Clients are harassed by reminders to turn this nonsense on and freelancers are infuriated by such inappropriate nonsense.

What is wrong with a client asking for an update and freelancer replying?

And kindly stop asking me to "understand"

I understand just fine.

I didn't just float into Upwork on a bowl of corn flakes.

Thank you.

I really don't want to shoot the messenger and I know this nonsense wasn't your idea. But it is a bad idea as implemented. The people who use the platform as clients and freelancers are telling Upwork that it is a bad idea. You do not use the platform as a freelancer or a client.

LISTEN to those who do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
33 of 129

"understand there are others who use the Upwork platform that do not have the same experience and expectations that you have"

Yes Lena, those "others" are the people signing up every day, being automatically accepted by Upwork, with some of the worse profiles ever. People with zero experience  freelancing and working with clients. These people are using Upwork to learn, and in doing so are creating unhappy clients who'll never come back. This bears out in client posts daily.

As Kayla stated, Upwork does not do nearly enough (really, not anything) to onboard/educate new users, be it client or freelancer. Of all the things that need fixing, Upwork's priorities are pretty messed up. Give new profiles at least a passing glance. Add a pop-up for all clients posting a job, explaining the new "no communicating pre-contract" nonsense, so they know what to expect. And yes, please stop putting the onus on your freelancers ... training is not part of our job description.

"What will you work on next week?". Are we supposed to share information about other jobs and clients (and newly awarded jobs) whose projects we're planning to work on "next week"? What about extremely non-communititive clients who have not held up their part of good communicaton?  "Well, since I haven't heard from you regarding feedback in two weeks, I'm not sure what I'll be working on" So snap to it, will you?

Petra states it perfectly - "… because of an incompetent minority the competent majority are harassed by Upwork with frankly asinine claptrap?" Stop punishing your good freelancers simply because you allow anybody who has a pulse to sign up

This is why the last job on my profile is from Oct/Nov of 2019. **Edited for Community Guidelines** and started interferring with my business … I threw my hands up. They're still up.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
34 of 129

I just read a post in the Freelancer forum that perfectly illustrates our complaints. I wish I could post a link ... this post is a perfect example of someone whose profile should not have been accepted.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
35 of 129

Lena E wrote:

(...)
At the same time, understand there are others who use the Upwork platform that do not have the same experience and expectations that you have. They may lack that structured cadence. They may struggle with communicating and providing updates. 

You cannot implement something that will bother all those who earn you the most money just because a subset of your users have no clue about how to freelance. People can communicate without you interfering and the ones who can't without an automated nudge are not bringing you any revenue.

You're focusing on the symptoms of a bigger problem.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
36 of 129

Steven E. L wrote:

Lena E wrote:

At the same time, understand there are others who use the Upwork platform that do not have the same experience and expectations that you have. They may lack that structured cadence. They may struggle with communicating and providing updates. They may not see the need to communicate and update their client or not realize the client may be waiting for updates. New freelancers and clients for example may have different expectations as they get acclimated to the platform or to remote work in general. Communication is important for a project's success. For those who NEED a structured approach this a tool could be useful for them. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Aren't these the freelancers who cost us all the most because they end up disputing $20 and taking up the limited CS resources? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
37 of 129
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Aren't these the freelancers who cost us all the most because they end up disputing $20 and taking up the limited CS resources? 

A couple of years ago they purged 10ks or 100ks of these trainees and everything was fine for a while. Now, they're purposefully rebuilding the platform as an in-house daycare center.

Highlighted
Garrek R Member Since: May 25, 2020
38 of 129

Lena E wrote:

Petra you and several others who have commented on this thread I would say have a lot of experience because you have been using the Upwork platform for a long time. You have established relationships with your clients, and even with new clients, you probably have a routine and know-how on communicating effectively and running your business. At the same time, understand there are others who use the Upwork platform that do not have the same experience and expectations that you have. They may lack that structured cadence. They may struggle with communicating and providing updates. They may not see the need to communicate and update their client or not realize the client may be waiting for updates. New freelancers and clients for example may have different expectations as they get acclimated to the platform or to remote work in general. Communication is important for a project's success. For those who NEED a structured approach this a tool could be useful for them. 

So instead of letting new people learn how to run their business through experience, you will force us all to use the same "tools". That's absurd. You want to bring everyone down to the same level?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
39 of 129

Lena E wrote:
Hi Jennifer, if you're asking if anything happens to your account or stats, then the answer is "no." But your client may, however, follow up with you if they would still like to receive answers to those questions.

The rationale behind this is for better communication. These prompts help to facilitate that, and are turned on by the client. If you decide not to respond that's on you, but if the client is expressing the need for more communication it would be in your benefit to either respond to the questions (which should only take a minute) or talk to your client about the questions/updates/expectations. As Valeria mentioned, this is easily turned on, and easily turned off.  It is to be used as an added functionality and it may not be useful for some of you. Maybe you already set expectations and update your clients on a regular basis. If that's the case, and they have enabled it, discuss it with them. Understand that your expectations and how you communicate are not the same as every other person on Upwork, a feature beneficial for one, may not be beneficial for you. The bottom line is simply to talk to your clients. 

Thanks, Lena. Yeah, I was wondering if something happened on Upwork's end if we didn't answer (stats, contract pause, etc).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
40 of 129

Others have said it well, I'm just chiming in for emphasis: Freelancers who need this level of supervision and handholding have no business on the platform. Automated prompts to try and ensure they communicate adequately with their clients are not going to resolve the numerous other ways in which their inexperience/cluelessness will manifest. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS