Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Auto Check-ins"?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
41 of 129

Lena E wrote:
The rationale behind this is for better communication. These prompts help to facilitate that, and are turned on by the client.

Well whoever designed this apparently forgot to check the definition for communication, because between humans it requires two parties consciously and intentionally exchanging information and meanings. A bot dropping me an automated cookie-cutter line that may not be relevant at all to my process, and me being expectedd to answer it does not constitute communication. Otherwise I could be communing with Data the Help Bot and have all my social needs met (alas...). 

This is the same thinking that decided questions like 'What past project or job have you had that is most like this one and why?'  and 'Which part of this project do you think will take the most time?' slapped on a two-line vague job post would help me write a better proposal, or would help the client in some way. In practice, we all just have to find work-arounds to apply by typing in things like 'described in proposal' or 'addressed above'. 

A novel idea: how about Upwork lets us deal with clients as the (supposed) adult professionals we are and stop the hand-holding and trying to babyproof everything on the platform. 

Highlighted
Mikhail B Member Since: Jun 4, 2020
42 of 129

This feature serves no purpose:

- Waste of time

- No additional info (I enter one-word responses)
- Annoys freelancers

Clients turn it on without realizing that this doesn't do anything for them. I will be asking my clients to turn it off. What a waste of my time.

Highlighted
Garrek R Member Since: May 25, 2020
43 of 129

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

Auto Check-ins is a feature we're testing. While I won't be able to share a lot of details about the test while it's ongoing, it'd like to confirm that this is something some clients can turn on or choose not to. It is not enabled automatically. If turned on by the client, freelancers will get e-mails and messages like the one Rafsun shared. I appreciate your feedback and will be glad to pass your comments on to the team.

So does Upwork typically TEST things on their users without their consent?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
44 of 129

Garrek R wrote:

So does Upwork typically TEST things on their users without their consent?

Yes. And without their knowledge.

Highlighted
Chris B Member Since: Oct 9, 2020
45 of 129

as a client, how do I turn "auto check in" off?

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
46 of 129

Hi Chris,

Currently, as long as the contract, fixed-price or hourly, is open the client can enable and disable the Auto Check-ins in the Message room or in the Terms & Settings area of the contract page. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
47 of 129

Goran V wrote:

Hi Chris,

Currently, as long as the contract, fixed-price or hourly, is open the client can enable and disable the Auto Check-ins in the Message room or in the Terms & Settings area of the contract page. Thank you.

Yeah, things aren't confusing enough for clients, let's give them one more thing to wonder about.

Highlighted
Krista W Member Since: Aug 3, 2019
48 of 129
Hi Valeria,
Thank you for passing comments to the team. First, as most others have posted, us freelancers don't like this added feature. We don't need a babysitter and are perfectly capable of communicating with our clients what our progress is on a project.
Second, a notice to freelancers about the newly added feature would be nice, so we're prepared when we get a message from a client saying they've enabled auto check-in. I got my first two today. One from a fixed price client with a 24- hour turnaround. The other from a client who is new to Upwork and the job was completed. He asked me how he should pay me, I explained the process in detail, and he then sent a message saying he enabled auto check-in. Really?? Clients and freelancers don't need this added confusion.
My biggest frustration with this platform is the lack of communication to freelancers regarding changes.
Thank you,
Krista
Highlighted
Community Guru
Sarah B Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
49 of 129

Oh, my. This is not an effective way for clients to manage freelancers, and it will annoy those who don't need it. I feel like this is a band-aid for real project management and hiring issues clients need solutions for that bots can't do (and aren't really in Upwork's purview). Clients can ask about the progress of a job any time they want. How many resources is this initiative eating up?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
50 of 129
*How many resources is this initiative eating up?*

This. Maybe they could fix the message notifications before testing new things to break the system?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS