🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client released payment but is now asking for...
Page options
mxamxulhaq5
Community Member

Client released payment but is now asking for Refund - What will happen to my JSS?

Hello Upwork!

I am near to getting the Top-Rated Batch!

It was all possible due to my hardwork and persistance. My JSS is 100% All my reviews are 5 star. However, one client has asked for refund after releasing the payment for the milestone.

I feel that even if i give him a refund. For which I have worked and he initially released payment for, he will give me 1 star review which will severly damage my Top-rated evauluation.

I need your help and Guidance.

Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "I finished the contract becuase I was being abused by the client. I had to work too much for too little. His request for review is still pending and he has not given a feedback yet."

Then it is possible that he can still leave you feedback.

BUT: He MIGHT leave good feedback. Or he MIGHT not leave any feedback at all.

After you closed the contract, a countdown clock started: The client has 14 days to leave feedback. After that period of time passes, he can no longer leave feedback.

One option you have is to compromise.

Keep in mind that YOU have the power to issue a refund.

You could ask the client why he is asking for a refund.

Then, after you receive an answer, you could point out that his request for a refund is highly unusual, and not something you would normally do, but you want him to be satisfied. You could tell him that you will give him a refund after the contract has concluded, which means he needs to leave feedback first. Then AFTER he leaves feedback, you could discuss with him how much of a refund you will send him. Maybe he should receive a $10 refund? Or 50%? Or 15%.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nothing will happen to your JSS if you receive a refund request.

Nothing will happen to your JSS if you issue a refund to a client.

If this contract is still open, then you are correct that the client still has the ability to leave public and private feedback.

The client's feedback (especially private feedback) is indeed likely to have an impact on your JSS.

Sir but won't he give me a 1 star review? I gave him 5 star review just out of fear so that he doesn't damage my profile

If the client already closed the contract, then the client has already given you feedback. The client can NOT give you feedback again.

If YOU closed the contract, then the client may have not given feedback yet.

You can navigate to your "Contracts" listing and click on this contract and then click on "Feedback" to see if the client has already given you feedback or not.

If the client HAS already left feedback for you, then the client essentially has no leverage. The client can't "give you 1-star feedback."

I finished the contract becuase I was being abused by the client. I had to work too much for too little.

His request for review is still pending and he has not given a feedback yet.

re: "I finished the contract becuase I was being abused by the client. I had to work too much for too little. His request for review is still pending and he has not given a feedback yet."

Then it is possible that he can still leave you feedback.

BUT: He MIGHT leave good feedback. Or he MIGHT not leave any feedback at all.

After you closed the contract, a countdown clock started: The client has 14 days to leave feedback. After that period of time passes, he can no longer leave feedback.

One option you have is to compromise.

Keep in mind that YOU have the power to issue a refund.

You could ask the client why he is asking for a refund.

Then, after you receive an answer, you could point out that his request for a refund is highly unusual, and not something you would normally do, but you want him to be satisfied. You could tell him that you will give him a refund after the contract has concluded, which means he needs to leave feedback first. Then AFTER he leaves feedback, you could discuss with him how much of a refund you will send him. Maybe he should receive a $10 refund? Or 50%? Or 15%.

Thankyou so much @Preston H.

You are an angel indeed.

May you prosper forever.

I don't want to give him a refund because I worked hard for it and completed the task.

re: "I don't want to give him a refund because I worked hard for it and completed the task."

It is inappropriate for the client to ask for a refund.

You don't need to give him a refund.

No matter what, you must communicate in a polite, professional way. But that doesn't mean you need to say "yes" to an inappropriate request for a refund.

In situations like this, I think there are a few things to keep in mind:

First, think about it from the other way around. If YOU were the client, and you hired a freelancer to do some work for you, and that freelancer did the work... Would YOU try to get the money you paid BACK from the freelancer? Would YOU do that to another person? Or would you respect the freelancer you hired and NOT try to take money from him?

When you put yourself into the other person's position, it can help you determine if the other person (in this case, the client), is being reasonable, or is simply being a bad person. That can often help us to make the right decision.

ALSO: Keep in mind that sometimes clients click a button that triggers a refund request - just because they see the button and they think: "Maybe I can get free money!" They are not actually thinking of this button that as something that potentially takes money away from the freelancer they hired. They don't ACTUALLY have a valid reason for requesting a refund. I think this is the case most of the time when clients use that button. When this happens, if they are actually called on it - if they are actually asked to explain WHY they are requesting a refund - most fo the time they are too embarrassed to say anything, so they just let the matter drop.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths