🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

Thanks,
~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

999 REPLIES 999

Hi Michelle Lyn,

I reviewed your profile and I see nothing wrong with it. You have everything in place and everything looks and sounds good!

Just keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. And, make sure your cover letters are customized based on the client's job:

1) Acknowledge the job you are applying for.

2) Highlight your qualifications.

3) Explain how you will meet their requirements and/or solve their problem.

4) Request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

c83a1968
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Upwork and would like some feedback on my profile. It's not quite finished yet, I need to add a video and portfolio; however, would appreciate any feedback on what s there so far. 

Thanks you and regards Jacqueline

celgins
Community Member

Hi Jacqueline,

Welcome to Upwork!

I looked through your profile and this is a very good start. Your title and overview/summary are focused, and you have selected relevant skills categories. Once you add your portfolio, your profile will be even more engaging for prospective clients.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients buy without you sending a proposal. Due to a higher than usual number of requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking 10+ business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Then, just start applying to jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. For tips on cover letters, read through Upwork's best practices on How To Write a Cover Letter.

Good luck!

Jacqueline,

You have to do less resume and more sales pitch. In so many words, you need to switch "I have these skills" to "I offer these services to you."

What are you selling in the freelance game involves fixing problems other people have. "I am an expert ______ (writer, graphic designer, software engineer) who can do this for you _______ (write great content, draw wonderful drawings, develop software for you), which will result in you _______ (becoming happier, richer, having more clients, enhance your brand, give you time to go to the beach ... you get the idea).

What your write up sounds like is someone looking for a job. It sounds resume-like. This is not that. This is you opening a business that sells a service. What is that service? Are you an expert at it? (You better be.) Are you confident you can get the job done right the first time and prior to our deadline?

You say you are an educator. So your profile should read "I am an expert educator with ______ (X years experience, X college education) who can write and develop curriculums for your students to achieve their goals ...)"

Or you might say, "I am an expert educator with a ______ college degree and _____ years experience who provides tutoring services to groups and individuals ... "

This is what you need to clarify. What service are you selling? Are you qualified and experienced to offer such a service? And are you confident you can get the job done?

Do that with confidence and with a friendly approach. Don't overdo the friendliness. Don't pander. Just be yourself.

Yes, Clark is right, it's a helpful start. But you have to make a 90 degree turn. Does this overlap with job hunting? Sure. But here you focus more on your clients and how your services can help them.  Steer away from describing your personality and desceribe your services. 

Hi,

I'm trying to get jobs applying on the "find jobs" page, got the Freelancer Plus membership, Updated my profile, I also have a few reviews from the past. But nothing is happening even when I'm applying to many job postings.

I would like to get some advice on what I should do to get jobs again and get my profile to be available to invitations.

Thanks,

Nothing. No real jobs here. Your profile look good. Of course you can set price to $3, it will give some results.

Help me!! I can't get a project! I have one left hand and other is right)))As i think its cause i dont have history of my previous projects on this site.Or  maybe there is other issue??I made almost 40 proposals only 1 man answered me in a massage,3 or 4 opened a proposal.What i am doing wrong???Thanks 

Hi I'm Ralita and I'm new to Upwork. I would really appreciate it if someone could mentor me. 

hi ,
dear
welcome to the Up work . try to your skills at your best ,
take care
regards
Mehmood

Hello everyone! I'm not new to Upwork, but I started doing my job here only at the end of the last year. I would be very grateful for feedback on my profile from experienced freelancers.

Hello everyone! I'm not new to Upwork, but I started doing my job here only at the end of the last year. I would be very grateful for feedback on my profile from experienced freelancers.

Hello Shabana,

Your profile is set to Private. You must set your profile to Public so we can see it.

After your profile is Public, post a new message.

hello guys, can someone please check if my profile can win me jobs on the platform and give recommendations where possible?

Thank you 

celgins
Community Member

Hello Kelvin,

I like the sunglasses you're wearing in your picture, but it's not the best look for a freelancer profile. Your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face, without sunglasses. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Here are some other issues you need to fix:

Title: Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title and remove the period at the end: Professional Academic Writer | Copywriter | Content Writer

Overview/Summary: You have good content in your summary, but there are some grammatical errors that need correcting. It's also a bit disingenuous to say that you can write about any topic instantly; no one can do that. So, you should focus more on how you can help potential clients meet their needs, and tell them how your services will benefit them. You should also add some spacing to make it easier to read. For example:

I am a skilled academic and content writer with over three years of experience and a passion for delivering exceptional writing services. The best part is that I can write about several topics and quickly produce written copy based on your requirements.

I can conduct extensive academic research, which helps me gather more information about relevant topics. I hold a degree in Industrial Chemistry and my studies have allowed me to be imaginative, original and dynamic when I write. This helps me see different aspects of everything and leads to the highest quality writing for my clients.

We all still have much to learn and I am always improving my skills and discovering fruitful writing techniques. I work hard and give 100% to my work. That is why I believe I am the right person to meet your academic writing, content writing, and other writing needs.

I'm available here on Upwork to discuss your needs and how I can help!

Portfolio: You should add a few more items to your portfolio to showcase your skills and abilities.

Skills: Be sure to add more relevant skills categories to your skills list.

After you make these updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications and skills by writing great cover letters. In your cover letters, always make sure you create a custom response based on the client's job. Focus on the client's specific points in their job description; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their requirements.

Good luck!

Hi, please review my profile and give me some suggestions to increase my sales i am not getting orders or responses.

https://www.upwork.com/fl/~019958cb44ca525742

Hammad,

I reviewed your profile and everything looks good. The only suggestion I have is regarding your overview/summary. I recommend removing the greeting from the first sentence, speaking more to potential clients early in the first paragraph, and adding some spacing to make the summary easier to read.

A greeting and your name in the summary is nice, but they take up space, and the client can see your name in your profile. The first two lines of your summary are important because the client sees these lines when they search, and you should make a positive impact by focusing on what the client will get by hiring you.

Upwork has been doing some experimenting with searches, so the first two lines will show sometimes, and other times, it may not. Either way, the first two lines are often the first thing a client reads, so you want don't want to include irrelevant information there. If I revised your summary, I would say something like:

Highly creative Graphic Designer with over 5 years of experience developing colorful, dramatic  images and designs for my clients. I love working with creative projects and I can bring your visions to reality by designing vivid, attractive graphics and websites that help you stand out.

My design services include:

✶ Logos

✶ Business Cards

✶ Letterheads

✶ Thumbnails

✶ Social Media Posts

✶ Icons

✶ Vectors

✶ Posters and Flyers

✶ Website Design and Development

I use Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop to create your designs. Not only that, but I provide the highest quality services with 100% satisfaction. My goal is to complete your graphic design projects on time, and within your budget.

I'm available to discuss your projects and how I can help you. Feel free to contact me any time if you require my services. Thank you!

You have very good skills categories selected; a great portfolio; a great project catalog; and really nice testimonials. You should add a short job description for the graphic designer job.

Then, keep applying to jobs by writing great cover letters. Always create a custom cover letter based on the client's specific job requirements. Focus on the client's needs and requirements; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their needs.

You need to know ...and get to read how the freelance work and then get to make job proposal to the clients 

elisa_b
Community Member

Your profile is blank, your rate is $0.00/hr. How do you expect to receive work proposals?

For your own interest and safety, please read this: To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

As Elisa said, your profile is completely blank. Generic title, no description, no rate, no photo, nothing. There's absolutely no chance of you getting hired if you don't have a somewhat credible profile. Also, proofread what you write. There's nothing more offputting for a client than to receive a proposal full of spelling errors.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/alihyder110 

Upwork experts review my profile and suggest me if have required any changes

celgins
Community Member

Ali,

I'm not an expert, but I reviewed your profile and everything looks great. Just keep applying to jobs by writing great cover letters.

Hello UpWork Community,

Josh here, I'm a project manager based in London, UK.

Glad to be here. I joined quite a while ago, but I never really saw much going on with my profile so I slowed down. Employment has always been my main source but I'm now at a point where I'm dead set on switching to freelance. It is daunting but I consider myself a deep end learner and hope to really make the transition here.

My experience consists of mainly events, I used to organise and run my own esports tournaments under my (now) Marketing Agency, Cyclical Ltd. In employment, I have also been part of project management teams on large corporate events and small private events. I would like to use my transferable skills to step outside of events (still open to events!) and into new project areas.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
I welcome feedback on my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01ec4d45fa8c858647?viewMode=1 I'm always trying to improve!
My email is: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Pleasure to meet you all!

celgins
Community Member

Hello Josh,

A reply to your message from Apr 18, 2023 12:08:23 PM was posted on Apr 19, 2023 04:56:27 AM.

Hi 

I'm new to Upwork.

I've faced the newbie's common problem: can't get any of my proposal approved by clients. 

I've already sent 18 of them. 

I'm really good in what I'm doing so I tried to show it in my CV with just a pinch of bragging. 

If client is in search for a particular product, I find a supplier and then make a proposal, like, hey, I got what you need at a best price! But no answer.

Another problem is that because of my job specifics I can't really create a portfolio. It will be just a random selection of pictures for different products that I have ever sourced in my life.  That doesn't tell much in fact. 

So can you please check my profile and get any advice of how to get it improved? 

Thank you 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Upwork.

I reviewed your profile and here are a few suggestions:

Title: Capitalize the first letter of each word and condense the title: Supply Chain Manager | Chinese Manufacturer Sourcing Expert

Overview/Summary: Your summary has good skill and background information, but you should focus on a potential client's needs early in the summary. Clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, but they really want to know how your skills/qualifications will benefit them. The first two sentences are important because the client will read them first, so you should write something that is strong and impactful. I suggest moving the client-focused content closer to the top and adding more information about how your experience will benefit the client. For example:

I specialize in the USA, Europe and China Supply Chain Management, Logistics Operations, Warehousing & Inventory management, demand planning, product ordering and sales forecasting.

I can work with you to improve your supply chain processes or create new efficiency standards for moving home appliances, electronics and souvenirs to raw materials, vehicle, loading equipment and construction machinery parts.

As a highly skilled product hunter and sourcing and procurement expert, I will find any specific product based on your description or picture; get the best price to match your requirements; and arrange shipping to your location. This proven process will lower your product sourcing and tracking costs, save time, and allow you to stay focused on your business while I manage your sourcing requirements.

I have experience sourcing various products from Europe and USA (10+ yrs) and China (5+ yrs) especially Alibaba, Aliexpress, Taobao, Tmall, JD, 1688, Pinduoduo, Made-in-China.com and more. I have helped various companies with their sourcing needs.

Let’s discuss your products and how I can help manage your sourcing and supply chain requirements.

Portfolio: I think you can add a portfolio to showcase your sourcing/supply chain experience. Even if the images are samples of products/items you have sourced, it might help prospective clients get a visual of the types of products you can help them with. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. Maybe you can show images of a logistics management application screen, warehouse/inventory management screen, groups of products (i.e., appliances, equipment, etc.), logistics/supply chain process graphic, cost/benefit breakdown, etc.

A portfolio isn't necessary in your line of work, but those are a few ideas.

After you make these minor updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

Pls review my profile. If there's any related job for me, I'll be happy. Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Tanveer,

I reviewed your profile and it has good content. The only suggestion I have is to correct the spelling of the word "generation" in your title: Web Research | Data Entry | Lead Generation | Excel Expert

Then, just keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications and skills by writing great cover letters. In your cover letters, always make sure you create a custom response based on the client's job. Focus on the client's specific points in their job description; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their requirements.

Hi there,

I'm new here. Looking for Virtual Assistants to connect and network, let me know if you are in! 

Can someone check my profile and tell me what you think?

I'm new in Upwork, I just need an opportunity on being a virtual assistant. 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Lindokuhle,

Welcome to Upwork.

If you are here to provide virtual assistance services, your profile will be confusing to prospective clients. Here are some suggestions:

Title: You should change your title to Virtual Assistant instead of event planner.

Overview/Summary: Your overview/summary should focus on a potential client's virtual assistance needs. Clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, but they really want to know how your skills/qualifications will benefit them. Maybe you can rewrite your summary to focus more on the client’s needs by answering questions a client might ask. For example:

"My company needs virtual assistance support, so can Lindokuhle provide data research, data entry, email and calendar management, social media management? If so, what else can she provide?"

"Can Lindokuhle provide any recommendations for project managment processes or appointment scheduling or how to conduct online research?"

"My company is really busy, so how much time does it take Lindokuhle to perform data entry, email management, schedule management, etc., and how often will she stay in contact with me to keep me updated?"

"There are thousands of virtual assistants out there... why should I choose Lindokuhle to and how does choosing her benefit my business?"

The answers to questions like these can help a client better understand why they should hire you, what they will get, and how it will benefit them

Skills: Select skills that are relevant to virtual assistance (i.e., Virtual Assistance, Data Entry, Appointment Sceduling, etc.) It is important to keep your skills list updated with relevant skills categories so that Upwork can match you with relevant jobs, and so your profile will appear when clients search for your skills.

The skills that are not relevant to virtual assistance should be removed from your main profile. However, you can create one or two Specialized Profiles that focus on other services like graphic design or event planning.

Portfolio: Then, add a portfolio to showcase your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your qualifications.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should do the following:

from one language to another. It can be used to translate entire documents, emails, web pages, or even individual phrases and sentences.

Language translators work by using algorithms to analyze the structure and context of the input text, and then generating a corresponding output text in the desired language. Some language translators may also use machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve their accuracy and efficiency over time.

There are various types of language translators available, including online translation services, mobile applications, and desktop software. Some language translators are free, while others require a paid subscription or purchase.

Hello, I am a translator and I just started on upwork! Please, who could give me some advice more.

Please guide..

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Upwork and I have had only one client for almost a month now with an hourly contract. The first review could be done by them right now? or the platform will ask for feedback after the contact is done? or the feedback is only provided if they want to and the platform doesn't ask for it?

Thanks in advance!

Hello

I am trying for a job from last 3 months, unfortunately i failed to achieve a successful job.Anyone of you please review my profile to make changes 

Thank you 

i used to get invitation  evry day ,but  i have not received any invitation for few days .

please what could be the reason?

my jss is 100 

please advise me.

What is the best way to display your SEO expertise in your profile? I work as a digital content manager for a large consulting company, reviewing digital content and ensuring it is copyedited and SEO optimized, but since I don't originate the content, not sure exactly how to display in my profile.

Hello, I'm new to this platform, please review my profile and suggest to me how to improve It. Thank you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths