🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
AndreaG

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

Thanks,
~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

999 REPLIES 999

Thanks for the valuable insights. i will defintely work on it and create a single domain focussed profile.

I will love to stay engaged with the community to improve further.

53317c1d
Community Member

I have so many questions to ask but am going to voice out only one for now,I recently joined Upwork with so much passion,completed my bio on my page, willing to work with people but still I couldn't reach just a single person.I want to understand the process I must obligate to become more successful on Upwork anyone with experience on the website can help me out.

elisa_b
Community Member

Your rate is too high and your bio is unimpressive. Please take the Academy courses before applying to any jobs https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy and read also this important post: To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

cb68f6a4
Community Member

Hi Andera , 

I'm new to this app and I need you to review my profile and give me your feedback.

Thank you 😊

celgins
Community Member

Hi Hayat,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide a lot of valuable information and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

I'm sure you know that your hourly rate is extremely high and no client will take you seriously. Aside from that, your overview/summary is unfocused and does not match your profile title. You mention that you are a dentist with experience in general and cosmetic dentistry, but this is unrelated to data entry and transcription services. You need to focus your title on specific, relevant skills.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should read through the following:

You should also click the Academy link at the top of the screen and dive into the Courses and Learning Paths. Once you learn more about the Upwork platform, things will be much clearer.

kusaran
Community Member

Hi Experienced Freelancers

I am starting work on upwork after a long time gap. I used to work about 10 years back. Now can you guys help me to review my profile is it okay for now? 

Regards

celgins
Community Member

Saran,

Yes--I reviewed your profile and everything looks okay for now. You have quite a bit of experience using Upwork, so you understand what is required.

Correct the misspelling of manager in your main profile title: Professional Social Media Manager

59a0a26e
Community Member

Hi, please have a look at my profile and will be open to your suggestions.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Benny,

Welcome to Upwork.

The first thing I notice about your profile is your hourly rate; it is too high. No one will pay a graphic designer $70/hr., not unless you are famous and provide high-end designs for enterprise clients. Most Ghanaian graphic designers with similar or more experience are between $15/hr. - $45/hr.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should read through the following:

You should also click the Academy link at the top of the screen and dive into the Courses and Learning Paths. Once you learn more about the Upwork platform, things will be much clearer.

ac6f384c
Community Member

• Hi! I would be very grateful for feedback from experienced freelancers, how else can I improve my profile? I am extremely puzzled if the location of Nigeria  affects the client's choice as a performer. 
celgins
Community Member

Princewill,

The same thing I told Aleksey in an earlier post; some clients pay attention to location, but many select freelancers based on skills and qualifications.

About your profile: it needs a lot of work and you should use the links below to get started. One of the first things you need to do is lower your rate. If you are not a seasoned Logistics Coordinator or Logistics Manager, your rate should not be above $25/hr.

ac6f384c
Community Member

Thank you sir Clark 

please how do I change my profile 

centuryinv
Community Member

Dear Andrea,

I trust you are doing well, I will appreciate my profile being reviewed and feedback on the given.

Thank you

Regards,

Maina G

Hi Maina,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide a lot of valuable information and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

For your Title, remove the word reliable. This word does nothing to help Upwork match you with relevant jobs and should only be used within your overview/summary. You should revise your summary to focus on the client's needs. Clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, but they really need to understand how you can help them solve their problems.

Even though you have had an Upwork profile for years, you still need to use the basics to complete your profiel. At a minimum, you should read through the following:

488e009f
Community Member

Hello everyone. I'm requesting for one of you to review my profile too. 

celgins
Community Member

Collins,

Very good start to your profile. The only suggestion I have is to add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history.

After that, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

tinkeraylaa
Community Member

Hi Andrea G, 
Thanks for deciding to help beginners like me. Can you please review my profile and help me improve it for Upwork? 
Here is my profile link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01222fc0a5ce733fea
Thanks

Hi Tayyeba,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information, support freelancers, and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

I looked at your profile and everything looks good. Here are a few suggestions to improve it:

Title: Capitalize writing in: SEO & Writing Expert 

Overview/Summary: Overall, your summary is good, but there are some grammatical errors that need correcting. I would revise your summary like this:

Hello! I am an SEO & Writing Expert with 7 years of experience providing both on-page and off-page SEO support for businesses that need a boost to the in their search rankings. I specialize in getting my clients to the top of search results by building manual links through the following parameters:

1. Guest posting on high authority websites with real traffic (perfect for affiliate sites)
2. PBN (Paid Blog Network)
3. High DA/PA Web 2.0 and Link Wheel
4. Blog/Article Writing & Submission
5. Niche Blog Commenting on High DA & Low OBL Resources (perfect for affiliate sites)
6. Niche Forums Participation (Forum postings and profile creation)
7. Guest Posting Services
8. AdSense/Blogging
9. Shopify SEO Services

According to Google updates, SEO is complicated and not like the old era. It is imperative to work manually to rank your website. Otherwise, Google penalties will ruin your rankings and drop your business out search results. This is where I can help you!

I assist businesses that may be confused about choosing their perfect niche. My goal is to target real, quality results using the best SEO techniques. Whether you want to build an affiliate website or use Adsense, I can help you do both with:

✔ SEO Keywords Research
✔ SEO Audit
✔ Niche Selection
✔ Keyword comparison region wise
✔ Linking your domain with hosting
✔ Setting up a website either on WordPress /Joomla/Blogger/whatever one is interested in.
✔ Adding meta tags, titles, descriptions.
✔ Optimizing URLs and images so that website load quickly

I also help you with:
➔ Content creation for B2B and B2C
➔ Editing/Proofreading
➔ Microsoft Excel
➔ WordPress
➔ SEO
➔ Infographics
➔ Social Media
➔ Affiliate Marketing

As an SEO expert, I work hard to go beyond my clients expectations. If you want to buy safe backlinks from a popular domain with page authority or need on-page optimization services to rank your website higher in search engines, then I'm here to help you!

Portfolio: I think you need a few more items in your portfolio. Maybe a Wordpress screenshot, an Adsense screenshot (with data/values blurred or hidden), ranking statistics, etc.

Employment History: You should add short job descriptions for each job in your employment history.

c1349d2b
Community Member

Hello!

I am new here, but not new to writing.  However, I have never made a living writing before.  I have always used this as a small side hustle.  Now that I'm pursuing a Master's Degree for Organizational Management, I need flexibile employment.  I have heard that Upwork is the place to be to make this happen.  

I appreciate any and all tips, tricks, feedback, leads and other encouragement.  

Here is the link to my profile:  https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0190020bfd5e07a1f4 

Thank you!

Kris 

celgins
Community Member

Hello Kris,

Welcome to Upwork!

You will find that "writing" is a ubiquitous term here on Upwork. There are thousands of trained, accomplished content writers (i.e., books, articles, manuscripts, medical, technical, etc.) but hundreds of thousands of low-skill writers who seemingly respond to every job posting. Good clients usually recognize adept writers and quality writing, but getting your proposals seen is the challenge.

Your profile is off to a great start. My first suggestion is regarding your hourly rate. I think your current rate is too low for someone with your expertise as a writer, editor and proofreader. With those skills/qualifications and your degree, I think your rate should be between $35/hr. - $85/hr. I looked at 50 different profiles of content writers with similar experience, and they are all over $30/hr.

Next, I suggest adding a portfolio with samples of your work. For example, you can add excerpts from scientific journals, books, case studies, newsletters, lesson plans/curricula, or full text from letters, articles, blogs, etc. Prospective clients will want to get an idea of your writing style and this is a good way to showcase it.

After that, just start applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job:

1) Acknowledge the job you are applying for

2) Highlight your qualifications

3) Explain how you will meet their requirements or solve their problem

4) Request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

c1349d2b
Community Member

Thank you for your very detailed response.  I really appreciate it.  

I'm very surprised to see the hourly rate is so much more than I expected.  I will make that adjustment.  I will also upload several writing samples for client reviews.  

Thank you, again, for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Kris

Kris,

My first observation, Kris, is that you served as a para-legal for several years and now you're looking for work as a general content writer. Am I wrong or doesn't writing for lawyers pay about 150 times what a content writer gets? 

That said, no, I don't know the market for legal writing. There may be 100 jobs for law-savvy writers posted a week on Upwork or 1,000 or anything in between. The content writing market is endless. But why would you settle for that? 

My next observation is that you should be more specific. When you say things like you have experience with 35 cultures, name a few of them. When you say you have experience with a broad range of editors, name a few of the publications. Details makes your story stand out. All the vagaries in your write up are calling for explicit examples to give them more strength.

In addition, you've posted a link or a URL for your website for writing samples. That's well and good, but Upwork has a place at the bottom of your profile to post writing samples. You should use it. You can certainly point out your website if you like, but there are 1.5 million writers on Upwork (honest, Google said so) and if your competion is just directing clients to the bottom of the page, they are making it easy for clients to view writing samples and you're making it just a touch more difficult. Your a mouse-click away from rejection around here, so don't give people an excuse to turn away. Don't make them go on a wild goose chase for your writing samples when you could just put it right in their laps.

Thank you for your very detailed response. 

In response to your question about legal writing.  I was a paralegal and secretary.  Although I did some research and writing on my own, it was not under my own name.  And I would rather not be responsible for legal opinions.

However, it does speak to my ability to edit and proofread as I frequently corrected grammar, syntax, format and those types of issues.  I want the customer to know I am reliable, but I don't want to be the person researching legal matters.  Is it better to remove that or maybe state that more specifically?  Something about my experience as a legal assistant qualifies me for detailed editing and proofreading?  

I will also add samples to my portfolio.  I wasn't sure if that was overkill.  Your response lets me know it's a good idea.

Thank you, again.  I really appreciate your help.  

Kris 

45f841cb
Community Member

Hi theree,

I'm new to Upwork and haven't had success in getting a job yet. I'm unsure if it's due to my profile or my proposal approach. Could you please review my profile and provide feedback on areas for improvement?

Thank you!

Hi Jahirul,

There's no rule for profile improvement. Be creative and straightforward. Obviously, your profile arrangement plays a role here. But the most significant thing is your cover letter. Try to be direct and only write the necessary details. There's literally tons of guidelines online.

For profile improvemrnt, I suggest you to visit top freelancers in your industry. Don't copy-paste. Visit their profile and see their approaches. You are free to follow any creative process.

Wishing you good luck in all your future endeavors!

Best regards,

Shagor M

celgins
Community Member

MD Jahirul,

I reviewed your profile and everything looks good. The only suggestion I have is to add short job descriptions for each job in your employment history.

Just keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project. For more tips on cover letters, read through Upwork's best practices on How To Write a Cover Letter.

da3de244
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

Can you spare a few minutes to give me feedback on my freelance profile? As a freelancer, I know the importance of having a great profile, and I'm looking for ways to make mine even better. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,

Ammar J

celgins
Community Member

Ammar,

Welcome to Upwork.

I reviewed your profile and it looks good. I have only a few suggestions to help improve things:

Title: Remove the "s" from your title: Visual Design Expert or Expert Visual Designer

Overview/Summary: There is good information in your summary, but it focuses on you, and the summary should be more client-focused. to focus on the client's needs. While clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, what they really want to know is how your skills/qualifications will benefit them. If I revised your summary to focus more on prospective clients, I would write it this way:

Looking for a visual design expert to take your business to the next level? I'm a multidisciplinary Visual Designer with over 8 years of experience in the design industry and more than 3 years of experience in creative/design leadership roles. I've built award-winning teams and been fortunate to work with many exceptionally talented agencies and clients. I can build your creative projects and bring your visions to reality by designing vibrant, captivating graphics that exceed your expectations.

While I have a personal focus on brand creation and the integration of brand with experience, I also have an extensive and broad background in designing, from print to digital advertising and UI/UX for web and mobile applications. To me, it's all about creating the best work possible, and my clients have been 100% satisfied with my work because I pride myself on attention to detail, customer service and creative, exceptional design.

➔➔ What design services do I provide?

✶ Logo Design

UI/UX Design (Web and Mobile)
✶ Brand Identity Design
✶ Social Media Content Design
✶ Digital Ad Campaigns

➔➔ What processes do I use to help you?

✔ Discovery Sessions

✔ Creative Design Project Strategy Session(s)

✔ Defined Agreement

Let’s work together to bring your ideas to a reality! I'm available to meet here on an Upwork Zoom call to review your project.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions for each job in your employment history.

After you make these updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job:

1) Acknowledge the job you are applying for

2) Highlight your qualifications

3) Explain how you will meet their design requirements and/or solve their problem

4) Request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

a7a43387
Community Member

Hi there,                                                                                                 

As a newbie, I have not yet had much success in securing projects, and want to know how to optimize my profile and proposals to increase my chances of landing projects. I am eager to learn from those who have found success on Upwork and would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Farayha Zaheer,

Welcome to Upwork! Winning jobs can be a challenge when you are new.

Your profile is good, but let's go through a few things to hopefully make it better:

Hourly Rate: I think your rate is too low. Even if you have never had a paid job as a data analyst or software developer, your education and experience with Python, R, SQL, data analytics, and deep learning are enough to support a higher rate. Most Pakistani data analysts with 2 to 4 years of Python, Django, R, etc. experience are between $20/hr. - $40/hr. If you have no work experience, I think your rate should be at least $15/hr.

Overview/Summary: Your summary is good, but it should focus more on helping clients solve their problems. While clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, what they really want to know is how your skills/qualifications will benefit them. Your first two paragraphs are important because clients may not read the entire summary and you want to make an impact early on.

Also, you should remove the greeting in the first sentence because your name is already visible to clients. I would revise your summary to focus more on the client by saying something like:

I'm a highly skilled and enthusiastic Data Analyst with experience working on various university projects that involve programming in Python, R, SQL, and deep learning techniques. I have a a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I have explored other fields like web scraping and web harvesting, which enables me to extract valuable data from various sources to help clients improve their data collection.

My passion for data analysis has driven me to constantly improve my skills, and I am dedicated to helping clients improve their business management processes by assessing the effectiveness of their workflows and analyzing the outcomes of their business processes.

I possess strong problem-solving skills, an analytical mindset, and excellent attention to detail. I am adept at data preprocessing, data visualization, and machine learning algorithms, which allow me to extract meaningful insights and make data-driven decisions.

I am committed to collaborating with teams to mine data for insights that enhance people's lives and propel business growth. If you are looking for a data analyst who is passionate about using data to drive success, please feel free to contact me. I am excited to work with you!

Portfolio: I think you should add more items to your portfolio.

After you make these minor updates, keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

Hi this is the link to my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0192fdfd22554d1088  , 

I am trying to optimize my profile every week and yet it is getting 0 views! can someone help me optimize it! 

Thank you

Shahsawar,

It has been difficult for many freelancers to get profile views, so you are not alone. Here are a few suggestions to optimize your profile:

Title: Your main profile title should be: Front-End Web Developer or Front-End Web Developer (React.js). Your specialized profile is almost identical to your main profile, so it may not do much to help.

Overview/Summary: The first few sentences in your summary are important and you want to use that space to make an impact. There is no need to introduce yourself or greet the client here; the client sees your name on your profile and the greeting wastes space. In your main profile, you should remove the first paragraph and start your summary with: "As a Frontend Developer, my primary focus is..." and go from there. In your specialized profile, you should remove the greeting: "Dear potential clients," and go from there.

Portfolio: You should add more items to your portfolio. Clients will expect to see more visuals from a front-end developer. I think you should include three or four more items that showcase your skills.

Employment History: For each job in your employment history, capitalize the first letter in each job title and write a short job description for them.

After that, keep applying to jobs by writing great cover letters. Always create a custom cover letter based on the client's specific job requirements. Focus on the client's needs and requirements; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their needs.

Good luck!

21b88125
Community Member

hi andrea you're is very great full and so many people are likes congratulations andrea

celgins
Community Member

Hi Salmanul,

Yes, Andrea is great, but this topic is about getting help with your profile.

7dc7daef
Community Member

Hi Andrea it's a pleasure. Greetings to all in the same way.
I am seeking to advance through this platform and it would be very timely and very welcome to receive advice and support from professionals who already have experience. I would like you to evaluate my profile and help me to improve it. Thank you. ☺

celgins
Community Member

Freddy,

I reviewed your profile. You have good content in your overview/summary, but I think you should add some spacing to make it easier for clients to read. You provide some focus on the client, and that is good. To add more substance and spacing, you could revise your summary this way:

Focused and gifted Data Analyst with experience providing accounting data entry and meeting my client’s deadlines. I offer both English and Spanish data research and data entry support by helping clients with dictations and written documents and converting them into typed data.

I specialize in writing, typing, proofreading, quality assurance, and designing templates using Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint/ and others. I have been highly successful due to my reliability, professionalism, and dedication to precision.

➔ What services do I provide to my clients?

Data research, analysis, and collection tasks

✎ Support for any type of data entry task

✎ Transcription tasks
✎ Guaranteed 100% data input-output accuracy
✎ Microsoft Office expertise (Word, Excel and performing data table cleaning, VLookUps, indexing, etc.)

➔ How does this benefit you?

✦ Intuitive and quick to learn new applications
✦ Detecting errors in data early with proofreading

✦ Quality assurance (I have worked as a Quality Analyst to evaluate compliance of parameters in customer service lines)
✦ Following your defined techniques and procedures for your data programs
✦ Learning any custom or proprietary processes to help meet your specific, unique needs

I want to help contribute to your company's success! I’m available for a video call through Upwork Zoom to discuss your projects and tasks.

Portfolio: You should add more items to your portfolio. Clients will expect to see more examples of your data analysis skills.

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Hello Moderators,

Is there any way to revisit the recently deleted or dissapeared "Get Profile Feedbackl ..." thread?

There was an artist whose profile I reviewed and I don't recall his name, but I was hoping to order a few of his tee-shirts.

Any hope of finding this guy?

I'll look for an answer here, but you can also send a private note, so I'll be sure to see your answer.

Thanks.

Hi Anthony,

You might want to visit the following threads here and here. I hope this helps!

~ Joanne
Upwork
b4f914c3
Community Member

Hello Joanne,

I am new to upwork and I want you to view my profile and give me feedback. Thank you.

celgins
Community Member

Hello Henry,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information, support for freelancers, and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

I reviewed your profile and looks like you are just getting started. Correct the spelling in your title: Data Entry/Transcriber. You also need to add more skill categories relevant to data entry and data analyis to your list of skills.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths