🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to be more successful with proposals?
Page options
mtreideheuser
Community Member

How to be more successful with proposals?

I'm not sure what clients expect. Lowest rates? Quickest responds? It seems to be very hard to get a contract even for a "5$, translate my blogpost" job.

Smiley Frustrated

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Martin T wrote:

I'm not sure what clients expect. Lowest rates? Quickest responds? It seems to be very hard to get a contract even for a "5$, translate my blogpost" job.

Smiley Frustrated

Well, for starters, you are not a translator, so why in the world you'd be applying to translate a blog post is beyond me...

Let's make a deal, Martin:  You leave the translating to the translators and us translators won't try to do any systems administration, ok?

Your overview could do with a complete overhaul. Forget about telling clients that you "just dabble" in freelancing. Don't rub their noses in the fact that you have a full-time job. Don't waste the most important part of your overview (the first line, which is all they see) and use it to present your unique selling point in such a way that it entices clients to click on you.

The same goes for your proposal. FIRST LINE IS WHAT COUNTS. Do **NOT** waste that or your proposal won't even be read 9 times out of 10.

Concentrate on what you bring to the table, not on what you are and what you do. Clients want to see what you can do for them, solve their problems and save them money.

DO NOT try to underbid everyone. You can not compete on price, you need to compete on quality and added value.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

@Martin T wrote:

Smiley Frustrated

Well, for starters, you are not a translator, so why in the world you'd be applying to translate a blog post is beyond me...

Let's make a deal, Martin:  You leave the translating to the translators and us translators won't try to do any systems administration, ok?

Your overview could do with a complete overhaul. Forget about telling clients that you "just dabble" in freelancing. Don't rub their noses in the fact that you have a full-time job. Don't waste the most important part of your overview (the first line, which is all they see) and use it to present your unique selling point in such a way that it entices clients to click on you.

The same goes for your proposal. FIRST LINE IS WHAT COUNTS. Do **NOT** waste that or your proposal won't even be read 9 times out of 10.

Concentrate on what you bring to the table, not on what you are and what you do. Clients want to see what you can do for them, solve their problems and save them money.

DO NOT try to underbid everyone. You can not compete on price, you need to compete on quality and added value.

You're right. It might be that my heart was not entirely in it. I should really overhaul all that and begin to seriously build my profile.

ksontay
Community Member

Personally, I think it's a mixture of rates and reviews; that you're able to offer quality and affordability. I also think it's important to the clients that you've read through their project briefs thoroughly. I've trial and error a couple of proposals and have finally found one that works best for me.

Finding out what is working for other people can also help. Check these out:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths