🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I'm looking to hire someone for a small proje...
Page options
fd6021e4
Community Member

I'm looking to hire someone for a small project, I'm getting a lot of phone calls and What's App's?

I just posted my first small job to UpWork.  I'm looking to test a simple SEO and website fix on Weebly first and then potentially continue to use this service for larger projects. 

As I'm new to this, I was wondering how so many people got my phone number and are pitching me through What's App, texting me and also phoning me! 

How can I remove my phone number from my profile? I can't seem to find it. 

Perhaps a question for an admin. 

Also, is there anyway to speak to someone live for help at UpWork? 

Many thanks!

Katy

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I was wondering how so many people got my phone number and are pitching me through What's App, texting me and also phoning me!"

This is completely unacceptable.

These freelancers are NOT supposed to be contacting you through any means other than by sending proposals through Upwork.

If you able to provide information about who contacted you outside of the established Upwork method, then Upwork can try to identify those individuals and remove them from the platform.

re: "How can I remove my phone number from my profile? I can't seem to find it."

Upwork does not display users' phone numbers on their profile pages.

If these people figured out your phone number, they must have done so through some other means.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kathy,

Sorry you've received unsolicited contacts. On Upwork, other users can't see your name nor the phone number on your job posting unless you included those in the job description. 

If you post a public job you may want to avoid including links to websites, contact information or any sensitive info in the description, as anybody will be able to see it. You can send that information to freelancers individually once you invite them or interview them. 

Please see this help article to know how you can edit a job and how to make it private if you want to.

Additional:

Please check this help article and this blog for more information on how to post a job. Please read more about Simple & Safe hiring through Upwork

We'll be here when we can help you again!

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Kathy,

Sorry you've received unsolicited contacts. On Upwork, other users can't see your name nor the phone number on your job posting unless you included those in the job description. 

If you post a public job you may want to avoid including links to websites, contact information or any sensitive info in the description, as anybody will be able to see it. You can send that information to freelancers individually once you invite them or interview them. 

Please see this help article to know how you can edit a job and how to make it private if you want to.

Additional:

Please check this help article and this blog for more information on how to post a job. Please read more about Simple & Safe hiring through Upwork

We'll be here when we can help you again!

Thank you!

Bojan,

I do hope you'll reach out to the OP and get the names of all the freelancers who have hounded her outside of Upwork. These are the dregs that need to be gone from Upwork.

yitwail
Community Member

Kathy, perhaps your job post mentioned your website and your website includes your phone number? That’s the likeliest explanation for why you’re receiving phone calls, and it’s the reason many clients don’t include their website url in their job posts. I would never use that to spam a client but some freelancers do.
Learning Paths