🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips for finding that first job
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
Asma S Community Member

HI

I am also new at UPWORK. I would appreciate if anyone would help me to get some work as a content creator.

Thanks!

Asifa B Community Member

I have tried what ever I can; put its been a long time since I have been on Upwork; I only got one invite, that's why all my proposal are getting wast if no one hires me I just don't understand how will I have experience everyone looking for. I am dropping my profile link if you guys have any tips please let me know what am i doing wrong. 

My Upwork Profile  

https://www.upwork.com/fl/ab29

Abdulkadir G Community Member

Hi,

Im new here, help check my profile if it is intact. And advice on how to go about getting a job.

Thank you. 

Md Zaid A Community Member

Hi,

Im new here, help check my profile if it is intact. And advice on how to go about getting a job.

Thank you. 

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Abdulkadir,

Welcome to the exciting world of the Upwork Community! This is where you can hang out with like-minded folks, ask and answer questions, explore hot topics, and keep up with the latest buzz on Upwork.
And that's not all! The Community is also your chance to give us feedback on what you love and want to see more of. We're all ears, so don't be shy!
But before we get carried away, let's start with the basics. Check out these excellent Upwork Academy courses to help kickstart your Upwork journey:
And if that's not enough, you can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars that are sure to boost your success on Upwork.
So get ready to have some fun and learn a lot. We hope you find these online resources super helpful. Let's rock this Upwork journey together!
~ Joanne
Upwork
Word W Community Member

hi 

yess I am finding work so plz help me

Shubham P Community Member

Hello, my name is Shubham Pathak, and I'm hoping to find my first client for video editing. If you could give me some feedback on my profile, that would be great.
thankyou

Mary Margaret G Community Member

Hello,

I would suggest viewing UpWork's academy videos of New to Upwork 101 and 102. All answers are there and more to help newcomers. I have been in UpWork for 7+ years. 

Also, I believe Hugo and Clark in another thread would not mind reviewing your expertise in your profile. 

They are representatives at UpWork and would do best to offer you great feedback.

Muhammad S Community Member

Hello Humans!
I am Muhammad Saqlain a data scientist. I need someone to help me out and basically, I want him/her as my Advisor/Mentor who guides me here on upwork to win my first job quickly.

"God helps those who help themselves"

MD Raisul I Community Member

How do I get a job on upwork? 💬👥

Arfeen K Community Member

Hey Upwork community, I've been working hard for 6 months to secure my first job here, but it's been a tough journey. With 5 years of experience in SEO and blogging outside Upwork, I'm eager to make a breakthrough. I believe Upwork is the perfect platform to showcase my skills and collaborate with amazing clients.

I'm reaching out to ask for your support and advice. If you've faced similar challenges or have tips on how to stand out, I'm all ears! Let's create a positive, supportive environment where we help each other succeed. Together, we can overcome obstacles and achieve freelancing success!

Here is my Upwork profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01410e3e01ab6d1d5e

#Upwork #FreelancerLife #SEOExpert #BloggingPro #HelpMeGetHired

Aileen S Community Member

I have the same question. I have many years of experience in presentation design, pitch decks and transforming research data into winning presentations.  I have had several Fortune 500 clients over the years, but am just starting doing freelance work.

I would be interested to hear any gips to get those first few clients.

Arfeen K Community Member

Looking forward to someone who could help us.

Sarmin S Community Member

I am new here please guide me.

Mehtab A Community Member

I am new too, Please be consistance not lose hope.

Areeb N Community Member

share your positive stories for motivation that how you get your first project from this platform ?

Wahba E Community Member

I want help on how to win my first project

Débora F Community Member

My suggestions from my experience working at Upwork for 13 years now. I can say that Upwork has changed in the last 1–2 years, there are fewer invitations to real jobs, more connects needed to apply and a lot of scammers, so:

• Don't search jobs only directly at “Find Work”. Go to the “Search for job” space to apply “Filters”.
  • One of them is “Payment verified” (although today there are scammers with payment verified and Upwork is not checking it, it could help).
  • Other Filter is “Client history. Check if he posted other jobs, if he hired other freelancers, feedbacks, etc.   
  • Check the Date since the client is a member. Usually the scammers are members from the same day they post their jobs, and they didn't hire anyone. 
  • ALWAYS when applying for a job, even a real job, check the client's profile and feedbacks
  • DON'T BID for jobs that ask for +20, +40 languages translation, or they publish a list of 15 languages, or invitations too good to be trueeven when they have their payment verified. Scammers sometimes verify their payment from different countries every day. 
  • APPLY TO JOBS THAT FIT YOUR SKILLS. Don't apply to 100 jobs, wasting connects and money. 
  • DON'T APPLY and don't contact if they publish a link (telegram, mail, skype, etc.) outside Upwork.  
  • DON'T start working or deliver any work if the contract didn't start for Upwork, and until the client has his payment verified and/or the money funded (specially if it's your first work with this client). 
  • DON'T BOOST YOUR BIDS. When you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job instead of earning money from your work. Serious clients will find the best options according to your skills and not according to the amount of bids you use.  And, maybe, this way Upwork will stop doing business by selling connects, and perhaps they will avoid scammers. And we will find more real and good clients. 
Naima S Community Member

Hi! I âm new on upwork. Can you guys please review my profile and suggest me some tips for better working.

Gokhan C Community Member

Hey, i am new on upwork too, I have checked your portfolio and copied your profile adress to give the upwork algorithm a little point. Can you do me a favor and do the same and tell me what do you think about it?
As your portfolio, Maybe you should make an introduction video and show some older works as a proof of concept. I don't experienced in your area so my review is limited.

Naima S Community Member

Sure. Thank you for your review.

Gokhan C Community Member

You're welcome :))

Milan B Community Member

Hello, 

I'm looking for the first job for initiating my career as a freelancer. I'm an English language teacher in my country. Thus I have experience of writing essays and speeches on any particular topic with the help of research as well as I'm really good at analysing content and proofreading.

Is there anyone who can help me winning my first job ?

I'm urging you to write feedback on my profile, so I can make my profile better and win the work .

Thank you .

Mary Margaret G Community Member

Hello,

I would suggest viewing UpWork's academy videos of New to Upwork 101 and 102. All answers are there and more to help newcomers. I have been in UpWork for 7+ years. 

Also, I believe Hugo and Clark in another thread would not mind reviewing your expertise in your profile. 

They are representatives at UpWork and would do best to offer you great feedback.

Hakki M Community Member

First of all, hello to everyone reading this message, I'm Hakkı. I am an engineer who has been professionally doing graphic design in various fields for 4-5 years. I shared the designs I made before and on other platforms except upwork on my profile. I just started finding my customers in digital environments. I would be grateful if you could help me find clients.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths