🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Looking for a break through to uplift my ...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767

Hey Upwork community, I've been working hard for 6 months to secure my first job here, but it's been a tough journey. With 5 years of experience in SEO and blogging outside Upwork, I'm eager to make a breakthrough. I believe Upwork is the perfect platform to showcase my skills and collaborate with amazing clients.

I'm reaching out to ask for your support and advice. If you've faced similar challenges or have tips on how to stand out, I'm all ears! Let's create a positive, supportive environment where we help each other succeed. Together, we can overcome obstacles and achieve freelancing success!

Here is my Upwork profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01410e3e01ab6d1d5e

#Upwork #FreelancerLife #SEOExpert #BloggingPro #HelpMeGetHired

I have the same question. I have many years of experience in presentation design, pitch decks and transforming research data into winning presentations.  I have had several Fortune 500 clients over the years, but am just starting doing freelance work.

I would be interested to hear any gips to get those first few clients.

Looking forward to someone who could help us.

I am new here please guide me.

I am new too, Please be consistance not lose hope.

share your positive stories for motivation that how you get your first project from this platform ?

I want help on how to win my first project

debi-f
Community Member

My suggestions from my experience working at Upwork for 13 years now. I can say that Upwork has changed in the last 1–2 years, there are fewer invitations to real jobs, more connects needed to apply and a lot of scammers, so:

• Don't search jobs only directly at “Find Work”. Go to the “Search for job” space to apply “Filters”.
  • One of them is “Payment verified” (although today there are scammers with payment verified and Upwork is not checking it, it could help).
  • Other Filter is “Client history. Check if he posted other jobs, if he hired other freelancers, feedbacks, etc.   
  • Check the Date since the client is a member. Usually the scammers are members from the same day they post their jobs, and they didn't hire anyone. 
  • ALWAYS when applying for a job, even a real job, check the client's profile and feedbacks
  • DON'T BID for jobs that ask for +20, +40 languages translation, or they publish a list of 15 languages, or invitations too good to be trueeven when they have their payment verified. Scammers sometimes verify their payment from different countries every day. 
  • APPLY TO JOBS THAT FIT YOUR SKILLS. Don't apply to 100 jobs, wasting connects and money. 
  • DON'T APPLY and don't contact if they publish a link (telegram, mail, skype, etc.) outside Upwork.  
  • DON'T start working or deliver any work if the contract didn't start for Upwork, and until the client has his payment verified and/or the money funded (specially if it's your first work with this client). 
  • DON'T BOOST YOUR BIDS. When you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job instead of earning money from your work. Serious clients will find the best options according to your skills and not according to the amount of bids you use.  And, maybe, this way Upwork will stop doing business by selling connects, and perhaps they will avoid scammers. And we will find more real and good clients. 

Hi! I âm new on upwork. Can you guys please review my profile and suggest me some tips for better working.

Hey, i am new on upwork too, I have checked your portfolio and copied your profile adress to give the upwork algorithm a little point. Can you do me a favor and do the same and tell me what do you think about it?
As your portfolio, Maybe you should make an introduction video and show some older works as a proof of concept. I don't experienced in your area so my review is limited.

Sure. Thank you for your review.

You're welcome :))

ef3e68d3
Community Member

Hello, 

I'm looking for the first job for initiating my career as a freelancer. I'm an English language teacher in my country. Thus I have experience of writing essays and speeches on any particular topic with the help of research as well as I'm really good at analysing content and proofreading.

Is there anyone who can help me winning my first job ?

I'm urging you to write feedback on my profile, so I can make my profile better and win the work .

Thank you .

Hello,

I would suggest viewing UpWork's academy videos of New to Upwork 101 and 102. All answers are there and more to help newcomers. I have been in UpWork for 7+ years. 

Also, I believe Hugo and Clark in another thread would not mind reviewing your expertise in your profile. 

They are representatives at UpWork and would do best to offer you great feedback.

62086dfd
Community Member

First of all, hello to everyone reading this message, I'm Hakkı. I am an engineer who has been professionally doing graphic design in various fields for 4-5 years. I shared the designs I made before and on other platforms except upwork on my profile. I just started finding my customers in digital environments. I would be grateful if you could help me find clients.

Hello,

I would suggest viewing UpWork's academy videos of New to Upwork 101 and 102. All answers are there and more to help newcomers. I have been on UpWork for 7+ years.

b2753f87
Community Member

Good day! 

I hold licenses as a financial counselor, an assistant unit manager, a bookkeeper, and an experienced accounting clerk. I would be happy to serve as anyone's Accountant on the Go. I am a newbie to this platform but I a'm willing to work for anyone for FREE for 2-3 days to first explore upwork platform. Then, once the client evaluated my work, he/she can decide whether to continue working with me for a fair price. 

I already sent several proposals for FREE, but until now I don't receive any signs of acceptance. Can you help me get my first client so he/she can help me build my profile as well. Thanks a lot! 

Newbie freelancer 

b2753f87
Community Member

Hi, 

I am a newbie to this platform and hoping to land a project/job soon. ❤️ I am hopeful and excited at the same time. 

omaralqerbi
Community Member

As a new member on Upwork, I must admit that I've encountered challenges in finding clients. Despite my best efforts and eagerness to start working, the initial phase has been met with disappointment as I struggle to secure projects. The lack of client responses or invitations can be disheartening and make me question my abilities. It feels like being stuck in a loop of uncertainty, trying to figure out what I might be doing wrong or what steps I should take next. However, I understand that building a client base takes time and perseverance. I am determined to learn from this experience, adapt my strategies, and continue honing my skills to increase my chances of finding clients and establishing a successful freelance career on Upwork.

hi! I came across a profile of this new Upworker by chance, following her practical tips enabled me to earn my first $100. go through her posts and who knows you might get benefitted
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

babd1ffa
Community Member

Hello, I'm Vanessa, a mother who is currently at home and searching for additional sources of income. I am open to receiving training of that helps yo your company and have previous experience as a Technical Support Representative. Additionally, I am familiar with website management as I assist in handling our own website. At the moment, I am in great need of extra income. Any work will do, im willing to be trained. 

729590cb
Community Member

**bleep**, am stuck, buying connect and submitting proposals for AWS Cloud DevOps Role.

What am I not doing right, it's kind of frustrating..

0e6f08ab
Community Member

Hello and Good day! I am Kristine, a Senior High Graduate and is looking for extra income since I am an Incoming Freshman this year. I am very lost and confuse on how things here work, I need help or atleast someone to guide me on the way. I can proudly say that I can do things such as Manage, Assist and offer skills that I have but I don't know where to start and very scared to try. Please please help me, I am also willing to be thought any new kind of skills and I am a fast learner and is pretty good in communicating. 

elisa_b
Community Member

Kristine, I am afraid Upwork is not the right place for you, if you do not have solid and well-defined skills. This is not a platform where you can learn how to do something.

You say you are scared to try, and you should be, but for a different reason: this platform is full of scammers and you might fall into their traps if you are not careful. Please follow these links before deciding to do anything on Upwork. Stay safe.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy

Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

bbe1b12a
Community Member

Thank you for your input
i am also new here
but I have experience working in corporate companies for 15 years
does the experience here help?

elisa_b
Community Member

Experience and marketable skills are the starting point. Please follow the 3 links above.

bbe1b12a
Community Member

Ok

Thank's

0c4a7b3d
Community Member

Hi, all.

I am new to here.

I want to get a better job.

How can I get a better job?

What is the secret?

Kindly tell me about it.

Thanks

First, put some portfolio work on your profile.

What is next?

Fill out your profile to 100%, then apply for jobs. Don't worry about the pay for your first job, worry about the review that they will leave. Once you get a good review, it'll become easier. Make sure you understand how the platform works completely in the mean time. Don't get taken advantage of.

af08d0b7
Community Member

Hello

How can I get my first job on Upwork?

I have already completed making my profile. I have also submitted some proposals.

What shall I do next to get the first job?

Please give me some tips.

Hi Delwar,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
0414967a
Community Member

Hello Everyone

I have 19 years of experience in IT Project management. Am PMP, ITIL and SCRUM certified. Wanted to start upwork.

Have tried to build my profile here.

Wanted to request to review my profile and provide feedback!!

Thanks

Darshan

2a8e029f
Community Member

Hello,

I'm trying to get my first job in Data entry and Lead generation. I have years of experience in this field.

894fb2a9
Community Member

Hi,

I am Ghulam Mustafa here on upwork new and I have applied for more than 7 jobs and I have still not engaged in any interview or not a job.

Plz, help me with how to be hired.

Cheers,

Seven proposals is nothing. You will have to send many more.

In your presentation you are missing the first two lines with information that the client can already see. Those two lines are the only thing the client sees without opening your profile, you must sell yourself there.

Hi, Plz guide me more in the first two lines of what I write for a catchy look.

Thanks,

Go through Academia, in the forum header. You can also look, just look not copy, successful profiles of other freelancers in your field.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths