🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

740 REPLIES 740
e6a54fda
Community Member

Hi, My name is Romana Mumtaz and new on upwork platform . I am from Pakistan. I am a content writer and want to do work from home. Can do copy, paste work, data entry n hand writing jobs very efficiently.

I am not getting any jobs. Can u help me out..???

umar1287
Community Member

Not getting jobs on upwork despite several proposals. Need guidance/help.

Reagrds.

Umar

95e3ddd9
Community Member

I am looking for a job

efcc0f3f
Community Member

i am new here. and i want job am not a client.i am urdu translator expert so please someone guid me how i can get job or customer

fc5d186b
Community Member

i'm a newbie to this industry.

i would love to know more to widen more my knowledge about this field.

i really wanted to get a job to support my kids needs. 

i hope someone could help me. 

thanks in advance.

a0d622aa
Community Member

Hey there, I don't have any prior experience of freelancing and I have created my first upwork account and submitting proposals for quick a long time but not getting any response from the client.

Is there any tip for new freelancers on how they can get their first project?

fc5d186b
Community Member

i am looking for a job and hopefully i'll be able to find a client to work with .

Its ok, keep updating you self and also trying for new clients and existing ones.

Regards.

6664280b
Community Member

Hi I'm new to up work. Ready to start something new ! I've Always had a passion for writing and chaning lives. please let me know what is the best way to get started working ! Thank You in adavance !

a0ab90aa
Community Member

Thanks Andre, those tips are the foundation.

f6843f0f
Community Member

hi to everyone i am new here, how long does it take to get a job here. Waiting for recommendation.

bbaba34c
Community Member

Finding your first job can be a daunting task, but here are some tips to help you get started:

1. Network: Reach out to family, friends, and acquaintances to let them know you're looking for a job. Attend job fairs and industry events to meet professionals and learn about job openings.

2. Build a strong resume: Create a resume that highlights your skills, education, and any relevant experience you may have. Customize your resume to fit the job you're applying for.

3. Apply for internships: Consider applying for internships or entry-level positions to gain experience and build your resume.

4. Use online job boards: Search for job opportunities on online job boards such as LinkedIn, Indeed, Glassdoor, and Monster. Create a profile on these platforms to make it easier for employers to find you.

5. Reach out to recruiters: Reach out to recruiters or staffing agencies that specialize in your field of interest. They may have job openings that match your skills and experience.

6. Prepare for interviews: Research the company and practice common interview questions. Dress appropriately and arrive on time for your interview.

7. Follow up: After an interview, send a thank-you email to the interviewer. This will show your interest in the position and may help you stand out from other applicants.

Remember, finding your first job may take time and effort, but with persistence and a positive attitude, you can find the right job for you.

f5d5020f
Community Member

Mam Can u please guide me how can i work on this upwork  platform.

d7633c88
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community members,

Hope you are doing well all!

I am a professional interior/graphic designer with 4+ years experience in this field and recently started upgrading Upwork profile as a freelancer. For me it seems very difficult to get the first job (even if it is very easy). 

If anyone can have a look on my profile, I am open and would appreciate any advice from anyone here 

d7633c88_1-1684326388379.png

Wish you all the best in your freelance journey.

Eranda

92fcccce
Community Member

I have free time i want to make it value, How can i do that 

Welcome Esam:

Good Idea to use your free time to upworks, You can make earning as well. Keep it up.

Regards.

Faraz Ahmad

621411a9
Community Member

• I'm a essay writer I need contract...plzz guid mee some freelancer??? I'm new her

Hello Asia:

You are new here. Keep your profile updated with 100% completion.

Regards.

Yes I'm new here..but my profile is completed..I need job and I don't understand how do this work but I'm interested this work soo plzzz can u guid me???

9de35d5d
Community Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to Upwork and I'm wondering how long it typically takes to land your first contract on the platform? I have experience working in commercial departments and bringing in leads from scratch. I can work in both French and English, and I'm excited to start my freelancing career on Upwork.

In addition to asking about the average time it takes to get the first contract, I'm also curious about what strategies you've used to land your first contract on Upwork? I'm currently taking the time to improve my skills and learn as much as I can, but any tips or advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and learning from all of you.

vik007
Community Member

Hello,

I have been sending proposals to clients, but unfortunately, I have not received any responses. I would appreciate it if you could provide some feedback on areas where I may be lacking or improvements I can make.

Thank you 
Varun 

fiazahmad56
Community Member

"Hello Upwork community, I'm looking for suggestions on improving my Upwork profile.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01cc603d7e98ae30df

I create many project catalogs and sent many proposals but did not get a job. Please review my profile and give feedback.

6e6282f4
Community Member

Any translation job work from home.  kindly guide, im new to this upwork. highly appreciate your response. Thanks 

3b4e344d
Community Member

Hi everyone.l'm new in this community but with alot of expertise.i am looking for a job as a freelancer please notify me.

cb79c755
Community Member

welcome everybody
I am new here on this platform. My mother tongue is Arabic and I am not good enough in the English language. What is your advice for me to get the first job... I have many advantages... and who among you wants to encourage me
I respect your opinions

khanjahan01844
Community Member

I`m a new upwork worker , joined a few days ago .

I`m learning graphic desing and photoshop . 

But I can do data entry , scraping , exel , resume etc .

I`m a total new one in online job sector 

I don`t know why people don`t recieve my proposal .

I`m it`s have been 4 or 5 day I still don`t have any job or earn a single penny .

what should I do now . 

Please it`ll be great help for me if anyone guide me about online job sector .. 

4556af7d
Community Member

Hyy I'm poor please help me to earn money give me some Trip to earn

mahananda_barmon
Community Member

Helpful

Yes.It did. Keep engage in Upwork community. Cheers!

0a540142
Community Member

Hi newbies,

You may take advantage of Upwork's learning paths to gain new skills and earn certifications. Start your journey towards becoming a more skilled freelancer today!

fd672589
Community Member

I m sehar azam

020017be
Community Member

Hello guys,

I have been on Upwork for a while now and actively sending proposals but have yet to get a job. How did you guys land your first job? How long did it take? I feel like it's really hard to get a short as a newbie among the many proposals that are sent out. Any tips to stand out?

Hi Everyone,

It's been 2 days since I have joined upwork. I have submitted different proposals which are relevant to my skill set, but unfortunately, did not receive any response. I just want to know whether there is some issue with my profile/title or if usually it takes time to get noticed.

Sanju Rawat

e74a1a2f
Community Member

I think taking the time to find a proposal that fits our capabilities is important the first time.

cbf86636
Community Member

Yup I k new I wanna work as content writer it's not only a job for me it's my passion

0465ea76
Community Member

Hello everyone. I am new on this site. I look forward to this oppertunity to earn experience and income. But honestly I am hesitant to take on contracts as I have moderate experience. I do not know what the customer expect, how Manu hours in general I should spend on a project/it takes to complete. And many other things. Tips and advise is very welcome ^^ nice to meet you.

shaikhharis
Community Member

Good

Community Member

I am professional graphics designer working in Dhaka Bangladesh in 14 years experience in Photoshop & illustrator... Experienced in printing

Help me for a haire me for a project 

This is my website:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

See the attached file for my work sample 

8f8e686d
Community Member

I'm new here 

Dear Ammad:

Welcome here. You are new here, you can take guidance from expert freelancer.  You can also use english language to convey your points easily. For guidance you can see my profile.

Regards.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths