🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » United States Location Verification - Unable ...
Page options
bhar5027
Community Member

United States Location Verification - Unable to do

Getting this error:

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post because it requires location verification. Based on your previous attempts, you are currently not eligible to verify your location. Please contact customer support.

I had uploaded the driver's id once but it said verification failed. 

I need help on this. 

Please help me resolve the issue.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. If you've encountered any issues while trying to verify your location, please know that you can reach out to our support team by selecting the "Get Support" button on this page and they’ll be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

5,266 REPLIES 5,266

Hi Kim,

Let me have one of our agents reach out to you directly and assist you with your verification. You'll receive an email notification from them shortly. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi, 

I'm having issues verifying my identity, as well. I attempted too many times and it wants me to contact customer support, but like many others, I'm being redirected to the community. Can someone please assist me with this? 

Thank you 

Stefanie Anderson 

Hi Stefanie,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
81a651f7
Community Member

My account was placed on hold after I tried (unsuccessfully) to upload my ID. How do I remove the hold on my account?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Teressa.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
craigp123
Community Member

Hi

Why do i need to upload  a  photo id for upwork?

re: "Why do I need to upload a photo id for Upwork?"

You do not need to upload a photo ID.

Most people don't upload a photo ID.

If you don't use Upwork, you don't need to upload a photo ID here.

If you use Upwork only as a client, then you don't need to upload a photo ID.

If you want to use Upwork as a freelancer, then you will be asked to upload a photo ID. But it is 100% a voluntary decision to use Upwork as a freelancer. Most people in the world do not have freelancer accounts on Upwork.

As for why Upwork asks for this? It is one of multiple identity verification protocols that Upwork conducts. Why do they confirm the identities of freelancers? Upwork does this as a service to clients, as a way to increase the likelihood that freelancers are who they say they are, and aren't scammers or people who otherwise can't be trusted by paying clients.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Craig,

We look at a number of factors in order to verify a freelancer's location. In some cases, we also ask freelancers to upload an image of their state issued driver's license, ID card or United States passport so that we can verify their location but in some cases it's not necessary. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
craigp123
Community Member

Thank so your saying it for safe place on upwork driver's license would be fine.

JoanneP

Hi Shirley,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
enzo26_
Community Member

Hello everybody,

I am new to Upwork - I have the account for a while but never really used it - and I recently went through the verification process to get the verified badge. 

I tried to submit my proposal to a few jobs already but Upwork asks me to Verify Location for US Only Jobs. I am unable to do that.

Anybody can help me with this problem? 

Thank you,

Enzo

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Enzo,

In order to verify their location, a freelancer needs to provide a state ID, driver's license, U.S. passport or greencard. It's not possible to verify location without one of those documents but you can still have access to all the jobs in the marketplace that don't have U.S.-only requirement.

~ Bojan
Upwork
enzo26_
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I understand. Thank you. 

Enzo.

enzo26_
Community Member

Hello,

I have a problem with this topic: Verify Location for US Only Jobs. 

I have verified my identity and I have a verified badge on my profile. However, when I submit a proposal for a job I get asked to provide any of the folowing ID: Driving licence, State ID, U.S passport, green card. 

At the moment I have a EAD work permit. 

Thank you in advance,

Enzo.

dmonahu
Community Member

I created my account years ago and have just come back to it with the intent of doing some freelance work. I've not received any emails or notifications asking to verify my identity, but I also can't submit any proposals until my ID is verified. I've tried submitting the photo of my ID several times but it just will not accept it, and I cannot find any other way to do it or reach out to a human. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi David,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
sarahanne444
Community Member

I have an enhanced license, and have tried to submit my ID multiple times, but it says that I cannot now, and that I must contact support. I believe the issue probably has to do with the fact that it is an enhanced license, and not a regular license. 

Hi Sarah,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I'm kinda in the same situation as David M, I had tried coming back to Upwork a while back and apparently needed to verify my ID, I tried several times to upload my driver's license but it would not get accepted. I gave up for a while because I couldn't figure out how to even get help, so now I'm commenting here to see if that works. I'm not sure but I think the problem was that my name that I signed up with doesn't match my full name on my ID. My full name is Deborah but I always go by Debbie and it didn't occur to me that might be an issue when I initially signed up years ago. Do I just need to change my name on my account to match my full name? I'm not sure if it would even let me do that..

Hi Debbie,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jacqueline-katri
Community Member

my attempt to veify my location wasn't successful. can someone help me out?

Hi Jacqueline,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, I have the same problem but no response so far

annamagdaline
Community Member

I need some support help. I uploaded my ID in order to verify my location but it didn't go through.

Hi Anna,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
msb1040
Community Member

This is very fustrating. Upwork asked me to upload my ID- I uploaded it 3 times, it's a very clear picture.... 

And I get locked out for too many attempts. I then have to message support (a bot) and the bot says they'll send an email with a link for me to verify through video. 

Its been over an hour and I still haven't gotten any emails this is ridiculous.

hi,

you upload your Id card image without any edit??? can not be edit in any way. its mandetory rules 

Lol no I didn't edit my ID... 

I took a picture of it with my phone and uploaded it twice. 

Upwork support said they would email me a link to do a video chat and they still haven't sent anything. 

This is very fustrating

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Mike.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
de4fd46a
Community Member

I have tried several times to upload my govenrment issued passport but the system will not recognize it for some reason.  As a result my account has been suspended.  I tried to contact customer support but the button is not working when clicked.  Someone please help

**Edited for community guidelines**     

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gregory,

Your country should reflect the one you're physically located in and be able to verify it.

Could you please confirm if you're currently located in the US?

~ Bojan
Upwork
7f1130ce
Community Member

Hi, I tried to verify my ID by taking a photo of my drivers license and now i have a hold on my account, yes my drivers license is valid (or i wouldnt be able to drive in the state of Oregon) So now I cant work since this would be my first job. Chat bot was absolutely no help. What am i supposed to do now?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kasey,

~ Bojan
Upwork
emilybertioli
Community Member

Hi all,

I am a British expat in the US, and would like to apply for both US and UK-based opportunities.

Please can you let me know if this is possible?

Thanks for your help!

Emily

Hi Emily,

The US/UK-only setting isn't referring to the freelancer's country of origin. It allows clients to specify that they are looking for freelancers who are physically located in the U.S. or the U.K. at the moment. There may be various reasons why a client may use that option. Their projects may require localized knowledge, the possibility of on-site coordination, specific compliance needs or other factors that make working with someone within their country a preferable way for them.

If the person has a legal permit or a type of visa needed to work in the U.S. legally, they can register and work on Upwork as a freelancer. Users located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing the W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to advise about it legally.

~ Bojan
Upwork
bhavesh08512
Community Member

Hi there 

I live in NJ and my driver licence is expired in second week of Jun-2020 (DMV was closed that time). Now DMV-NJ is open and since licence expired in Jun-2020 is extended till Dec-2020, i avoid visiting DMV due to heavy rush and to maintain social distancing (https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/about/FREQUENTLY%20ASKED%20QUESTIONS.pdf).

When i upload my driver licence to verify my identity, upwork doesn't consider this extension.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bhavesh

Hi Bhavesh,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
clarence-townes
Community Member

I uploaded passport for U.S jobs and it failed. How can I do this process again?

Thank you for reaching out to us, Clarence.

~ Bojan
Upwork
dvazarkar
Community Member

Hello all,

New to Upwork and trying to upload my drivers license for identification. It seems no matter the quality of the phot, it is continually being rejected.  Greatly appreciate any suggestions / work-arounds people might have.

Regards,

Dharmesh V.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths