🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » What Next
Page options
madalynramirez
Community Member

What Next

Hello,

I sent a proposal to a client, and they are wanting a test paragraph with the goal of possibly hiring me. I am very excited, but still cautious of course to make sure I do everything right. If they do decide after this test paragraph that we are a good fit, what am I supposed to do next? Is it my responsibility to write a contract, or is that the client's? I wasn't able to find very detailed information about what comes next after a potentially successful proposal and want to make sure that I do not endanger my or my client's future on this platform.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it my responsibility to write a contract, or is that the client's?"

Upwork has default contract language. Neither the freelancer nor the client needs to write a contract.

The client clicks a green "Hire" button, and then you as the freelancer clicks an "Accept" button.

That is what "creates the contract":

client clicks a button and then you click a button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I sent a proposal to a client, and they are wanting a test paragraph with the goal of possibly hiring me."

I am suspicious of any client who asks a freelancer to work for free. A single paragraph is not very much of a "test." So I suppose this is could be a real client who is simply ignorant of the fact that he should not be I doing that. An experienced, knowledgeable Upwork would know that it is not acceptable to ask a freelancer to work for free, and would evaluate you based on your portfolio. Or would hire you and pay you to do a test.

So... this is either a scammer or an ignorant client.

But... don't tell the client he is ignorant. If you already wrote a paragraph and sent it to the client, don't worry about having done that.

Just continue to be cautious.

You are so new... you should probably check back with us and tell us what happens next.

I would normally tell you to refer the prospective client to your portfolio. But when I looked at your profile page, I didn't see a portfolio. Am I missing something? Are you trying to find work without posting a portfolio first?

Thank you so much for your prompt answer. I am proceeding with great caution. I think it may have to do with the client's first language not being English and wanting to ensure that I could understand areas that are not initially clear. However, I am being very careful, and I appreciate your advice. Thank you for clearing up the contract bit; that's a great relief!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it my responsibility to write a contract, or is that the client's?"

Upwork has default contract language. Neither the freelancer nor the client needs to write a contract.

The client clicks a green "Hire" button, and then you as the freelancer clicks an "Accept" button.

That is what "creates the contract":

client clicks a button and then you click a button.

e6f1ce93
Community Member

Wow very nice
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths