cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is upwork dying slowly?

Shamima A Member Since: Oct 18, 2013
21 of 49

Hi Ajay,

You did't mentioned the allowing number of Proposals:  50+ (with 6 Connects required to apply)

So, Upwork just earns easily by a job post min $0.15 x 6 x 50 = $45 (definitely Upwork is not dying, haha!)

And each freelancer loses $0.15 x 6 = $0.90 if there is no response/win from the client. Imagine if the 100 or 1000 such job posts!

Is there a policy at Upwork to refund the connects to freelancer in the cases where the client didn't repond at all?

Regards,

Shamima.

Ace Contributor
Ajay S Member Since: Sep 9, 2018
22 of 49
Hello Shamima,
Thanks for the post.
No refunds. only in case of project cancellation credits are refunded.

If some one posts a project and you apply. he opens or not does't make any
difference. credits are consumed. only refunded when client cancels the
project else no refunds.
John S Member Since: Jun 4, 2019
23 of 49

Geeta,

I have to agree that there are a lot of crap jobs out there.  There are other places besides UpWork that offer similar features.  A lot is dependent on what kind of work you do.  I know before I started on UpWork I spent some time researching it.  I checked if there were a lot of jobs for my skillset.  I constantly check that every day.  One thing I've done is to use the advanced search and apply filters.  My filter only looks at jobs that charge $500 or more.  That pretty well squelches alot of poor jobs. 

I have been reading a site called Freelance to Win.  Search for It and also for Simple Programmer.  Those sites have a lot of free info as well as courses that can really help improve your chances of landing good clients.

The other day I actually turned down a client because of some of the feedback he'd gotten. Research, Qualify, repeat.  That's the only way things get better.

Sincerely,

John

Milena M Member Since: Jul 22, 2019
24 of 49

Haha, this is so funny - I feel the same, and I am on the "opposite site". I have been with Upwork as an employer since 2016. And at that time everything was great, Upwork had such an amazing list of super capable people. 

In the last year I have had my fair share of headaches searching for the right talent. Higher budgets or lower budgets, does not matter. I found myself paying for job that was not done, having to fix someone else's mistakes myself, I even got my dev site destroyed "by an honest mistake" (that was an absolute surprise, never before heard of or seen) and there was this one time when a high scoring offshore team could not log into the SFTP my server guy provided for them...

Not sure what is changing, but I am definitely feeling thisSmiley Happy. When I provide a project I take the time to provide a well scoped PDF doc with screen grabs, explain how my site works, its elements, what exists and what needs to be done, etc. And people just don't want to even read, haha. 

Geeta S Member Since: Apr 13, 2015
25 of 49

Hi,

Cheap resources have taken over the portal completely.

I am also facing the issue of upwork disabling our developer profiles for lame reasons even after interviewing the developers live on skype.

The management needs to give a deeper thought on what ever they imeplement.

Hope to see some positive steps from the upwork management soon

Roy S Member Since: Jul 28, 2020
26 of 49

Yes EXACTLY what we've experienced as a client, we provide the EXACT specification sheets of what needs to be done which is drawn by our In-House developers and even so 80% we get Bad Quality Control from the Outsourcing Company and many times our In-House developers had to Re-Do the whole codes which costs us more time and money, not to mention we have to assign a dedicated Project Manager/s just to control these freelancers which is a Headache.

Besides this in these Pandemic times it's even CHEAPER to hire an In-House Team and on top of that we get Tax Deduction for hiring that brings the cost lower than Outsoutcing the work to an Offshore entity.

Freelancers should open their eyes and get a grip on the reality of the current condition. 

Mykhailo M Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
27 of 49

Guys... Upwork adds a new membership policy for clients. You need to PAY a membership fee if you want to have the ability to select in search form TOP-RATED profiles. So, basically, right now we are competing with a lot of newcomers on Upwork. 

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
28 of 49

Mykhailo M wrote:

Guys... Upwork adds a new membership policy for clients. You need to PAY a membership fee if you want to have the ability to select in search form TOP-RATED profiles. So, basically, right now we are competing with a lot of newcomers on Upwork. 

That is true, basic accounts cannot select Top Rate or Rising Talent freelancers in a search (they can search by JSS).  What is more upsetting is they limit basic invites to 3 a job post.

Geeta S Member Since: Apr 13, 2015
29 of 49

Upwork is getting more and more money minded each day

Kevin G Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
30 of 49

Yep, hope this won't become another Odesk.