🐈
» Forums » Support » Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List (March...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List (March 2022 Update): Questions & Feedback

Today we’re reintroducing the boosted proposals feature with some changes. Read the announcement from James, Director of Product, here and let us know your thoughts about these updates in the comments below.

Cheers,
Mike
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2c724a5e
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

First, we want to acknowledge the ongoing feedback you all are sharing. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, opinions, and concerns with Boosted Proposals and want to ensure you our product teams are listening and reading every comment. 

Second, we want to reiterate that part of our mission at Upwork is to connect talent with more opportunities which is why we launched Boosted Proposals in support of that. With that in mind, we know there are lingering questions and we want to take this opportunity to be transparent on the value of Boosted Proposals to freelancers and clients, and also answer a few of the recurring questions/themes. 

Why Boosted Proposals? We created Boosted Proposals as an opportunity for freelancers to show a strong interest in jobs they feel they are the best fit for. Additionally, Boosted Proposals increases the chances of getting noticed and receiving their desired rate. 

What is the true value for freelancers and clients? Boosted Proposals provides an additional lever for freelancers to pull when submitting a proposal without removing existing features (JSS, Top-rated, etc.)  that signal success. Freelancers with a Boosted Proposal have more control over their outcomes while clients gain insight on who has a strong desire for a job. Additionally, boosting improves a freelancer’s chances of being hired by 43%, this means that a freelancer can use the feature as a way to secure the same amount of work they did before, but lower their proposal volume, saving their time and effort.

Based on the test, it appeared there was a lot of negative feedback in the Community, how did you decide to move forward with Boosted Proposals? We collected feedback via multiple channels and methods within our testing, including tracking hire rates and speaking directly with freelancers and clients—this evidence fueled the team to move forward with this feature. 

We hope this addresses some concerns regarding Boosted Proposals and the Upwork team always encourages feedback as we look to make Upwork The World’s work marketplace. 

Best,

Christopher

Content Program Manager, Community

View solution in original post

485 REPLIES 485
218a70cf
Community Member

Please remove the boost option it makes a very difficult job.

Agree Saira!   This is ridiculous and does nit guarantee the client will get the best freeelancer.

denisius
Community Member

Let me summarize. The evolution of Connects:

1. Let's introduce connects so customers don't get spammed with crazy amount of unqualified gold diggers, who applies just because they can. Hold on, but what about the legitimate freelancers? Well, let's give them some free connects per month.

2. It looks strange that all projects cost the same, let's invent some "secret" parameters to assess the projects and charge more connects for applications. Hold on, but this way legitimate freelenacers will apply to smaller number of projects... Well, let's give them an option to buy more connects.

3. It has been a while since monetization department introduced some changes, how about we let people BID on the projects with connects? Hold on, so now anyone one can buy more connects, place BIDs anywhere they want and be visible as the "most interested" freelancer. Doesn't that defeate the initial purpose?.... Well who cares? If you stratch the story in time, no one remembers what the original reasoning was, while we have just gained another revenue stream. Tell them it is good for them and that we only implement what they wish for. After all, who's Santa here?

Brilliant!

filip_knezevic
Community Member

So let me boost my answer here 😄

It seems freelancers finally understood boosting proposals is not working and that they aree wasting connects like that. 😄
I don't see any boosted proposals anymore, it seems they are dying.
In the previous months I saw 30+ connects on each boosting spot, and many of the jiobs never even got realized at the end.

The most optimistic one I saw is the incredible 100 connects boost for a job that got no hires.

Ouch, that gotta hurt. 😅🤣

I have seen something like that as well. 

I see +50 connects & I am seeing this more and more. 

I don't like this system, forgive me guys when I see yiur tag line " more transparency " for freelancers to connect with client it makes me cringe. 

It is system to pay for more connects. 

I wanted to say I am against this system, please let people win the jobs without bidding. 

And when we are still at it, why is it to have the availability light on I need to spend 7 connects a week, seems like yothis platform is charging for every feature on. 

Takeaway these silly get paid features, it's already hard with sending proposals to clients, following up now you add this unjust system. 

Please take it down 

This would bé thé best answer to this SCAM, that no one boosts... Alas, there are still offering 100 connects 

lunadespierta
Community Member

It was probably good at first (not something I would know), but what it does now is alienating great candidates who did not boost their proposals, because potential clients do not bother reading 50+ applications.

I have a specific skill I'm 99% sure the other Upworkers in my area don't have. On several applications where the skill is needed, the clients went with workers who know nothing about the skill. Should I not assume the clients didn't read my applications, then? How is it transparent?

Agree Dinna s it has become about outspending other freelancers so Upwork can sell connects!

bec23653
Community Member

I'm excited to see the changes to the Boosted Proposals feature and appreciate the transparency around the updates. It's great to see Upwork constantly working to improve the platform and provide more opportunities for freelancers to succeed. I look forward to testing out the new features and seeing how they impact my proposals. Thank you for keeping us updated and for all your hard work!

e5cf79eb
Community Member

really nice strategy by upwork 👌

a1e5a970
Community Member

That's great 

9b265ce4
Community Member

Boosted proposals with top 1 or top 2 are getting less views that non-boosted. Are we paying money to be viewed less?

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 06.57.24.png

Tural H wrote:

Boosted proposals with top 1 or top 2 are getting less views that non-boosted. Are we paying money to be viewed less?

No, you are paying to be in one of the top four positions. That's supposed to get you more views, just supposed to.
Perhaps clients do not open those four profiles by default. It may be that most are horrible automated proposals. Clients may think, after a while, that these automated proposals are generally not worth the effort and won't even open them.

9143476b
Community Member

Hi,

I am new on Upwork but I reached to the conclusion that the "Boost Feature" is just a scam. I tried it several times to boost my proposal but neither got contacted by the client nor I got my connects back. Now I am left with only 8 connects of 72+.

getso1985
Community Member

Im confused so much, about this boosting system, about 16 connects, and sending proposals boosted not boosted not getting jobs, waisted like 100$ on connects - nothign comes in, not outib connect comes back to me. What is going on? has upwork gone nuts? can you guys suggest any good real alternative? 

a_rasel
Community Member

I hope upwork will  change this feature, this is not good for us. 

anne-spicher
Community Member

1. What I notice is clients getting so confused that they contact no freelancer at all. Or some of them have a method to give contacts. Because the last 10 clients I responded to have exactly contacted 0 freelancer, according to Upwork, and that in 7 days

This is exactly what is happening.  Clients are confused and overwhelemed by the nonsensical, non-merit based ordering system that their faith in the platform has totally eroded.  Vast majority of posts result in nobody being hired in my category.  Upwork has destroyed its own platform seeking a quick buck.  

d173df1a
Community Member

Thank you!

5d0509ad
Community Member

Boost Your Proposal to the Top of List (August 2023 Update): Questions & Feedback

Today we’re reintroducing the boosted proposals feature with some changes. Read the announcement from James, Director of Product, here and let us know your thoughts about these updates in the comments below.

Muhammad Atif,

Why and for what do you copy and paste the text of the first post?

ae125c83
Community Member

How people can spend 50 connects or a 15$ job?

This is unbelievable. Do they have any hack for unlimited connects? Please check the below image.

ae125c83_0-1691654819482.png

According to those knowledgeable in AI - i.e. not me - they're agencies using bots to get to the top of every bid. They must be successful and can thus get their bids refunded. Either that or they are pooling their bids somehow.

shikaesa
Community Member

Hi, 

I just want to write what I noticed, because of the viewable ranks of how much connects the top 5 bidders demotivates other freelancers, specially those who doesnt have enough money to purchase connects.

Highest bidders will be noticed first, those wo bid less has high chance to be ignored. 

Those who want to get a client have to spend a lot of money to be in top bidders and still has no assurance. What you spend doesnt come back.

Before finding client in upwork was so easy. Upwork is hope for a lot of people specially in Philippines. But for us connects is expensive. 

vishalarchitect
Community Member

Hello Upwork , Please ,Please ,Please Remove boosting proposal option or make it optional for user's please

6b81a9c9
Community Member

When can we expect the refund of the extra connects on Upwork? What is the expected timeframe for this process?

Hi Ayxan,

You will see any refunds and final charges when the auction closes, which happens seven days after the job is posted or when the client hires, whichever comes first. I recommend that you have a look at this help article so you can better understand the number of connects that you'll be charged or refunded.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
crart
Community Member

Luiggi R wrote:

Hi Ayxan,

You will see any refunds and final charges when the auction closes, which happens seven days after the job is posted or when the client hires, whichever comes first.

That's a lie. I see jobs opened for over 2 months, both with hired and no hires or not even client's interaction, how do you explain this? Because to me it looks like a huge scam.

7dfaa303
Community Member

If i boost the proposal for 50 conneccts!! what will happen if the client doesnt hire any one ? or he hire some one else ? 

You lose it all!

Hi Md Shariar,

Thank you for your questions. You will only be charged Connects if your proposal ends up in a boosted slot at the conclusion of the auction, or if the client interacts with your proposal during the auction process. You can refer to this help page for more information.

- Pradeep

Upwork
f8d2ba46
Community Member

This feature is absolutely awful. Trainwreck.

7a2e33c4
Community Member

hi

wheretheresfire
Community Member

What's the point of upwork asking for feedback where's they're doing nothing about it? I mean they let people put 16 connects on 15 dollars job and on the other side they're people using bots to boost with same number of connects on all jobs, which makes them gatekeepers of all jobs. At this rate bringing back the 20% cut fee is a way better option.

bhavyaseo
Community Member

Yes, This boosted strategy is not going to work.. Client seeking a particular work for $100 and proposal boost for 50 connects.. Not sure if it is worth to spend that much connects to win these small jobs,.

5f2679e9
Community Member

Thanks for article. Your article is very helpful for my business. Please post useful articles for us.

a-vlad
Community Member

Hi @Upwork team,

let's forget about the fact that auctions for anything other than antiquariate is illegal in many part of the world 🙂 (as an example auction for food is illigal everywhere, but labor is same human rights as air, water or food)

But let's take an example from the real life somewhere in New York.

As an example you want to rent a properties in the good suburb, you have a competition and you must provide a best deal for loandlord to win. That's fine!

But what if your real estate agent will ask you pay for him to put your proposal on top of other his clients proposals?

What charges will your lawer bring against that person? 🙂 

Upwork is nothing more than real estate agent (yers, you are big, but you are just an agent), and even if forget about that fact - the only one side pay for real estate agent in the real life, ok we are paying both, but if you meet with similar approach in your life, you will be very angry 🙂

New bosting system not only takes money for nothing - a lot of project never offitially closed and never started, so all these connection it is your illegal income, and never reverted back.
But even more, you are as gangsters asking for an extra money for protection!

regards,
P.S.
If repeat the question - What would you call that in the real life? Corruption or maybe extortion? 🙂

yofazza
Community Member

If I may comment.

I've seen 'auction for visibility' in at least two other internet-based services. One is a product marketplace where sellers can 'bid' for multiple places where their products can be seen 'inorganically'. There are cost bidding, maximum daily budget, detailed impression and click-through statistic, etc.

The other is Google Adwords, which I believe is the founder of the system over two decades ago. So, I don't think it's against the law.

From what I see, other than Google which the sole purpose is to show the ads,  it depends on the service whether they will successfully monetize their members by introducing competition or not. By "successfully" I mean, they get the additional income, while buyers still satisfied because they still get good products.

This is the first time I've seen it in a work marketplace, where even the 'normal seller-buyer' process can't provide them with profit. So the 'monetization by creating competition', is probably not an additional income.

We'll see, they might soon prone to being marked as scam if they don't address things like this (there are many others).

a-vlad
Community Member

wow, how many respnce.

fist of all - who can mark my question as Solved? That is an example of the service? 🙂

Even if I accept your right to have your vision, but only me can decide - my problem solved or not 🙂

btw,

here some different understanding - who are freelancer, and what is marketplace?

we are (most of us) - not a business similar to Google AD clients, we are not selling something created onces and then duplicated again and again. Many of us have 80hrs per week maximum, that all what we have, we are sale our experience and brains. That could be sold only once for selected period.

With a general business and google AD:
- you've spend 5USD for create something, as an example chair or greeting picture

- spending 10 USD for advertising, will recieve 15 USD of income

- spending 20 USD, will recieve 30

- 1000 ... etc

But when your "product" is your time/brains is is a different story.

Next time when you will need a plumber service, try to ask him to pay you to be choosen 🙂

Any company have right to have their own business strategy, but if Upwork ready to confirm, they not the service for freelancers anymore, and by "freelance" they mean only products which could be sold more than once with same expenses, then nothing wrong, that just mean - my time here is over!

Not a trategy, but just a sad fact.

Just checked - the project with my latest proposal still opened for 21 days already, it was asked 16 connection for bidding, and they are not reversed after I cancel my proposal today 🙂 

Again, I not against commissions, even more I'm not against some monthly fees, but I'm against:
- unpredictable number of connections required to bid

- and absolutely do not accept the boosting for my type of projects

Upwork trying to charge me 3 times for the same service 🙂

ivanelortkipani
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I've noticed that the new badge is more beneficial for new Upworkers who are just entering the platform. It seems that this badge encourages new freelancers to compete with top-rated and plus-level freelancers. In my opinion, this approach is somewhat counterproductive as it may mislead clients into thinking that the recommended freelancers are experts in their niche. Over time, clients may realize that this isn't the case, and this badge might not be as valuable as it appears.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths