🐈
» Forums » Support » Contacting Clients Outside of Upwork Popup
Page options
e9847c85
Community Member

Contacting Clients Outside of Upwork Popup

Hi there!

I'd like to know if the pop-up message that says 'Keep your conversations on Upwork so everyone stays safe' is something that appears to everyone, or if, on the contrary, it's due to having violated a rule. Because then it shows recommendations to stay safe on the platform, so I'm not sure if it's a message directed to everyone or if I made a mistake

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jfandin
Community Member

I got it as well, so I think it's for everybody.

I have several concerns about this new policy.  In my field, I need to be able to share and see videos which are often on youtube, vimeo etc. I have a client and a freelancer account btw.  I need to see or share yt videos, google drive links etc. Attaching files on Upwork's message system is archaic, it doesn't work for large files, or it's simply unreliable, plus it's a waste of time when I can have a client share a link with me in seconds.

Upwork, If you're worried about freelancers taking clients away from you, you're being ridiculous. Because as a freelancer I get benefits here, such as the rating system, work history, and more. All of which combined help me get more profitable clients, so taking someone outside of the upwork environment doesn't do anything for me,  and I'm sure it doesn't either to a lot of other freelancers who've been doing this for a long time.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
spectralua
Community Member

It is broadcast spam. I saw the same today.

what is broadcast spam?

jfandin
Community Member

I got it as well, so I think it's for everybody.

I have several concerns about this new policy.  In my field, I need to be able to share and see videos which are often on youtube, vimeo etc. I have a client and a freelancer account btw.  I need to see or share yt videos, google drive links etc. Attaching files on Upwork's message system is archaic, it doesn't work for large files, or it's simply unreliable, plus it's a waste of time when I can have a client share a link with me in seconds.

Upwork, If you're worried about freelancers taking clients away from you, you're being ridiculous. Because as a freelancer I get benefits here, such as the rating system, work history, and more. All of which combined help me get more profitable clients, so taking someone outside of the upwork environment doesn't do anything for me,  and I'm sure it doesn't either to a lot of other freelancers who've been doing this for a long time.

e9847c85
Community Member

You mean sharing links from YouTube or Vimeo in job offers and proposals? Because my understanding is that once a contract is established, you can use external links outside the platform

Should be links for samples within interview before contract started.

Would I be fine if I share a youtube video with my client, or if he shares a file that I need to open in my CAD program so I can give him a quote? I do this often, and sometimes clients send me files for me to analize over so I can give them a quote.

rekasesh
Community Member

I and my clients do share file or portfolio links to Google doc during the interview. I can't upload many files or book excerpts in my Upwork portfolio as they are ghostwritten.

This "reach everyone at once" message is for people who share their email IDs . They get jobs on Upwork and get paid outside to save fees. They are not bothered about ratings and stuff

I had a client who wanted to go offsite within three months of contract in place. He didn't want to pay the $4000 odd fees for leaving the platform within 2 years, either.

While the client was nice overall, he stopped giving me blog work as I declined. He probably found someone willing to break the rules and risk getting banned.

Back then, you couldn't come back to the platform once banned.

Now people create fake profiles by the dozen and Upwork looks the other way as long they get money in some form or the other.

Many old timers I used to see on the forum earlier have either quit the platform or barely work here anymore.

The other type of freelancer for whom this message is intended is the new crop of clueless, desperate folks who chat on WhatsApp and Telegram and end up paying "clients" to get a job on Upwork, and getting scammed.

jfandin
Community Member

I see. I think Upwork should make a distinction for those of us who have been with the platform for a while and have not taken clients outside upwork. They should be able to see that you didn't take your client outside of Upwork, and should appreciat that loyalty. It's as if almost every new policy upwork comes up with, is designed to self destruct the same platform they're trying to build.

If Upwork sees a freelancer that often brings in new clients and keeps them here,  they ought to put a filter or something so these policies don't affect said freelancers, specially those who are in the 3D CAD field, video editors, graphic artists (or anybody!) who need to share youtube videos, google files, things that are needed to get a contract.

rekasesh
Community Member

You can actually share these links in the proposal itself and the interview to understand the scope of work.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Keeping-your-contact-information-safe

Here is info from some of the FAQs on that page.

"I worked on a website and want to share the link with a potential client, is that allowed?

Yes. Just be sure to ask the client to only contact you through Upwork until the contract starts.

I'm a client and need work done on my website. Can I share the link?

Yes. Just remind the freelancer to only contact you through Upwork until the contract starts.

Can I share a portfolio that isn't on Upwork?

Yes, even if it includes contact information. You can share it in three ways:

In your profile

In the Upwork Message Center

In a proposal

Just remind the client that they shouldn't contact you outside of Upwork."

jfandin
Community Member

Thanks Rekha, that clarifies a lot of doubts I had. So it should be good to share youtube links, etc. Thanks for the clarification.

rekasesh
Community Member

Yes, It shouldn't be a problem. Just don't share links to social media handles like Twitter or other marketplaces.

jfandin
Community Member

For example. If a client needs to share a video with me, (or I with him) from youtube. I wouldn't be able with this new policy if I understand right. I need to be able due to the nature of my work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths