🐈
» Forums » Support » Desktop App Google Log In error
Page options
Community Member

Desktop App Google Log In error

Hello. I registered my account on Upwork through the Google account. Desktop App doesn't allow me to log in by this option. It says: this browser or app can be unsafe, try to refresh the page and try again. This advice doesn't help. What's the solution?

838 REPLIES 838

Hello.

Yesterday my UW desktop app updated and I noticed several issues in the new version:

- double click on app tray icon opened time tracker previously, now it doesn't work,

- right click on app tray icon -> Memo doesn't work,

- app tray icon showed remaining hours from weekly limit previously, now it always shows "Tracking: 0h".

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

c158758e
Community Member

I am trying to log into the Upwork  desktop App for several days but I always only arrive at a screen that says "Redirecting" and there it stays until I kill the process.

I use Mac and log in with my Google account.

Please see attached screenshot with the "Redirecting" screen that never ends.

Thanks for support / Tavi

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tavi,

Please go to Settings>Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In. Afterwards, please try to log into your Desktop app by using your username/account email address and your password.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
54ed8e83
Community Member

Hi

I'm having a hard time log in using the Upwork App, it just stays on a 'redirecting page' once I've entered my email login. I've spent an Hour and a half trying to log in. I've tried using 34-bit, 64-bit, 34-bit beta, and 64 bit beta. I've made made sure to uninstall each app version before re-installing different versions.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Genevieve,

Could you please go to Settings>Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In. Afterwards, please try to log into your Desktop app by using your username/account email address and your password. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Ooh, please help, I have an urgent project, and I cannot log in to the Time-Tracker app! :'(

It keeps giving me 'An unknow error has ocurred'. I am not signed in into Google or anything. I already tried re-installing the app, and still I am not able 😞

Hi Mayra, 

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
kaseymitsuri
Community Member

I have trouble too. I don't have the Google account signed (it's disabled), but even though that I still can't log in to my account for the time tracker 😞 It says: "An Unknown error has ocurred".

I am using a Mac.

adham__essam
Community Member

My Upwork desktop app on Mac doesn't login at all. I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it but it didn't log in. it always gives me one moment please page and never finishes except I force quitScreen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.02.16 PM.png the app.

Hi Adham,

Please go to Settings > Connected Services > and disconnect your Google account. Once this is done try to log in with your username or email. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am sorry are you talking about these settingsScreen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.28.33 PM.png

Hi Adham,

I`m sorry about the confusion, I was referring to your Profile Settings. Please log in via browser and go to your Settings by clicking on your name at the top right corner. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

thank you very much it worked for me 

3159d086
Community Member

Alright, I had this problem, and here is the solution!!!! 

You just have to disconnect from google

To quote the agent that helped me 

"1) close and exit the app
2) Go here: www.upwork.com/ab/my-info/connected-services and disconnect Google sign in
3) restart the app and sign in using username/password or email/password

Once we have further updates when the technical issue is resolved, we'll notify you on this same ticket.

"

Hi Upwork,

I have the same issue as well..

I followed the steps of disconnect in setting, but the deskstop app still unable to log in and keep redirecting.

what can i do now?

please guide me.

Thanks.

Hi Jet Xin,

I checked your account, and it looks like you still haven't disconnected Google from your connected services. 

Please retry going to your Connected Services page (Settings > Connected Services), and disassociate your Google account from your Upwork account. Once done, please try logging in to your desktop app with your Upwork credentials to see if the issue persists. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
659dafdf
Community Member

Every time I log into the upwork desktop app, it keeps saying "one moment please..." and it won't go anywhere. I doubt the app usually takes a long time to redirect. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well as restarting my computer. I have no idea what else to try.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Colette,

Could you please go to Settings>Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In. Afterwards, please try to log into your Desktop app by using your username/account email address and your password.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
659dafdf
Community Member

Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi Colette,

Could you please share with me a screenshot of the error you're seeing after trying the steps that Bojan shared? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
ce3eea2a
Community Member

Hi all, I am in need of assistance!

I was able to download the Upwork desktop app. However, when I tried to sign in through google, it would show a loading screen and I cannot go beyond that point. I cannot use the app at all. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling... for both 'standard' and 'beta' x64 and x32.

Unfortunately it did not work. Would really appreciate help!

Hi Hilda,

Please go to Settings > Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In.

Afterward, please try to log into your Desktop app by using your username/account email address and your password.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Amazing! Thank you it worked!

muneeb077
Community Member

Hi,

I can't be able to sign into my DESKTOP app. When I sign in from my google account it says "Redirecting" and not letting me login to the application.

Need help!

Hi Muneeb,

Could you please log in to your Upwork account through a browser? From there, please go to your Connected Services page (Settings > Connected Services), and disassociate your Google account from your Upwork account. Once done, please try logging in to your desktop app with your Upwork credentials to see if the issue persists. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Same here. great work, Upwork! Users cant login. If that isnt a major failure, I dont know what is!

Hi Hans,

Please go to your Settings > Connected Services > and disassociate your Google from your Upwork account. After that, kindly login using the App with your Upwork email and userID. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
20a1055c
Community Member

I have been facing problem logging in through google-sign in. Moreover, I cannot disconnect Google services in settings too.

Hi Pranav,

Could you please log in to your Upwork account using a different browser? Please retry going to your Connected Services page (Settings > Connected Services), and disassociate your Google account from your Upwork account. Once done, please try logging in to your desktop app with your Upwork credentials to see if the issue persists. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
4977c449
Community Member

Hi i'm having the same issue as my desktop app is taking so long to redirect and i have logged in with my google id and services are connected

Hi M,

Please go to your Settings > Connected Services > and disassociate your Google from your Upwork account. After that, kindly login using the App with your Upwork email and userID. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
4f7784bc
Community Member

Same issue here, happening on mac os as well not just Windows.

3+ months is an awful long time to be dealing with an issue like this. Enought time to maybe at least display a popup message regarding the issue.

The irony, maybe hire some freelancers to help solve the issue? Oh wait...they aren't able to login.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Israel, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please know that the team is working on resolving this issue. In the meantime, could you please log in to your Upwork account through a browser? From there, please go to your Connected Services page (Settings > Connected Services), and disassociate your Google account from your Upwork account. Once done, please try logging in to your desktop app with your Upwork credentials to see if the issue persists. 

~ Avery
Upwork
74c99c8d
Community Member

I have a similar issue. It was just redirecting for more than 2 hrs  but didn't go further

Hi Nneka,

Please go to Settings > Connected Services > and disconnect your Google account. After this try to log in with your email/username and password. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
7e3afff1
Community Member

Hi! I was recently employed by an agency and I am trying to use the upwork desktop app to log my hours whenever I work. However, I downloaded the desktop app, but it won't let me log in. I put in my email and password and it will take me to a page and say "loading" for forever and never actually logs me in. Can you help me with that? My email is **edited for Community Guidelines**. Thank you in advance.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hannah, 

Could you please log in to your Upwork account through a browser? From there, please go to your Connected Services page (Settings > Connected Services), and disassociate your Google account from your Upwork account. Once done, please try logging in to your desktop app with your Upwork credentials to see if the issue persists. 

~ Avery
Upwork
0cfa9480
Community Member

hi, i am trying to login in windows upwork app with gmail and it just shows app loading screen, i have been trying for more than 10 times and waiting about 2-3 hour.

thank you

Hi Kevin,

Please follow the instructions I`ve shared in my previous post here:

• Please go to Settings > Connected Services > and disconnect your Google account. Once this is done try to log in with your username/email and password. Thank you.
~ Goran
Upwork
b5b6495e
Community Member

I have got my first Project , i went to install the aupwork desktop app and unfortunately i couldn't login to this app..Its say always reconnecting

Please help me i need to start working

Check the attached image

Thanks for help

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths