🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile...
Page options
Hala A Community Member

I wear a veil, how do I upload my profile picture with it on?

I wear a veil so i didn't upload my picture on my profile, instead used a cartoon. Now that i know there is no way around it and i have to put my real picture, I'm trying to change the picture and i cant. I have sent upwork my verification request already with my ID and real picture. I'm scared of they will suspend me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Hala,

To complete your Upwork profile and start submitting proposals, you must upload a profile portrait photo. Profile photos must be an actual picture of you. This is important for both verifying your identity and connecting with potential clients. Check out this article for A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture.

If you would like to request a religious exemption for using a profile picture, please: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea

View solution in original post

385 REPLIES 385
Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Hiba,

Thank you for your message. Could you please try uploading your real photo with Hijab now? Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Hiba H Community Member

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your quick response.

Upwork needs my verification again. For this verification, do I need to take my selfie in hijab or without hijab?

And I have one more question. My name on my national ID is only "Hiba" but as Upworks needs a freelancer's second name so I put my father's name in the second name because I always use my father/guardian's name as my second name like "Hiba Yaqoob". Please help me! on this.

Hiba Yaqoob

Warning Popup.PNG

Farwa F Community Member

Hi 

Need assistance!

I've uploaded my picture with veil on my face .but Upwork required my face selfie for verification.

Can you please award me an exemption in this regard.

Awaiting response!

Hira I Community Member

Due to religious obligations, i want to upload a profile picture with a veil. But i'm unable to do so. How can i put my picture with a veil on upwork?

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Hira,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your request with our team and your profile picture with veil is now approved. Could you please clarify if you need further assistance?

~ Nikola
Arisha K Community Member

Hi there, due to religious obligations, I want to upload a profile picture with a veil. But I am unable to do so. How can I put my picture with a veil on Upwork? 

Hi Arisha,

Could you please try uploading your picture with a veil now?

~Andrea
Arisha K Community Member

Hi Andrea, it's working now. 

Thank you so much,

Arisha

Hadiya J Community Member

Hi,

This is Hadiya Javed, I joined upwork in 2021 and got my ID verified after uploading my profile picture. Now I wear veil and I tried t to update my picture with a veil, but it got rejected. Is there a way I can put a picture in veil?

Thanks. 

Hi Hadiya,

Could you please try uploading your picture one more time?

~Andrea
Hira W Community Member

Hi, I need help.

Due to religious obligations, I want to use my veiled profile picture on my Upwork account but that is not uploading. Recently, I got to know that Upwork allows veiled profile pictures but I am still struggling with the same issue. I had created my account in 2020 but since then didn't use it because of this hindrance. I have hidden my profile due to the inability to upload my veiled profile picture so could never bid on any project even though my profile is almost complete. Please help me solve this problem. Thanks

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Hira,

Can you please check if the image you're trying to upload is in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png format and at least 250px by 250px? Also, make sure that it's a clear photo of yourself, not a long shot and your face is clearly visible. If it meets those requirements and you still can't upload it then please try clearing your cache and cookies and using a different browser to check if the problem persists.

~ AJ
Upwork
Hira W Community Member

I am a Muslim so cannot upload a profile picture which shows my face as I cover my face with a veil. Please help me regarding that. 

Hi Hira,

We'll be happy to provide an exemption for this. Could you please try uploading your profile picture one more time?

~Andrea
Hira W Community Member

Thank you, its working now.

Maliha A Community Member

Hi, 

I have my own picture set as a profile picture with my face covered (due to my religious beliefs). During ID verification, I got a notification that my profile picture doesn't match the selfie and asked to update the profile picture according to Upwork's policies. Please help me in this regard to complete ID verification process successfully.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Maliha,

Thank you for your message. Could you please try uploading your photo now?

Thank you,

Pradeep

Maliha A Community Member

It has been resolved and my ID is now verified. Thank you for the assistance, Mr. Pradeep.

Pradeep H Moderator

Glad to hear that, Maliha. Feel free to reach us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Yusra Idrees P Community Member

Hey, i want to havw religious exemption for my profile picture before my account gets suspended. Kindly help

Farwa F Community Member

Hi 

I've uploaded my picture with veil.how should I proceed further as it requires selfie identification .

Kindly help.

Saloua B Community Member

Hi,

I have recently joined the Upwork community, but without putting a profile picture showing my face (I only put a logo). For personal reasons, I do not wish to share my picture online.

In the meantime I have worked for a client and have completed the contract. I have received a notification letting me know that I should verify my identity, which I did. However, I have received a message telling me that I have to update my profile picture and that, "Until this is fixed, your profile and/or proposals may not be visible to some clients, and you may not be able to complete identity verification.".

Sadly, I will I thus leave Upwork -which is a shame because I find it useful. My question is will I get paid for the contract I have worked for? I should receive 180$.

Best,

Saloua

Martina P Community Member

But you knew it was a requirement by upwork that you upload a picture of yourself. You should not have used it if you are unwilling to abide by the rules. I don't think you will be able to access the payment since your account will be suspended if you don't do the verification. 

Hi Saloua,

Could I ask the reason why you don't wish to include a picture of yourself? We can make exceptions for religious reasons, for example. Other than that, without a profile photo that meets our guidelines, you will not be able to use Upwork as we need to know you are who you say you are. Plus, clients tell us a profile photo is critical to trusting that a freelancer is running a professional freelance business. Regarding the Identity Verification request, if you don't complete it and a hold is placed on your account, you will not be able to withdraw funds.

~Andrea
Saloua B Community Member

Hi Andrea and thanks for your answer. It is indeed for religious reasons (I am wearing a veil). I understand clients prefer freelancers with a photo, but I did not think this would be a requirement for having an account -that's a pity. Is there any way I can get my payment? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths