🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity (ID) Verification
Page options
hassium-inks
Community Member

Identity (ID) Verification

Hello, I'm sat here losing my mind actually.

So I had issues with my Payoneer card and my account was disabled. But I did not remove it from my Upwork. Got a message 8 days ago from Upwork that I needed to reverify. I sent my digital NATIONAL ID on my phone to verify, it was rejected three times even though I explained several times. Used Friday and Monday to process a new one at the local government building in my city and got the official national identity slip I used to verify my account in the first place. It just got rejected again. WAS told it's a photocopy that a colored one is needed. On my life I have never seen a colored version of the official national identity slip in my country. Only colored thing I know we have is the identity card itself and that takes  months to process. HELP 

How will I get color when that's the official thing here and I actually also used it to register on Every single platform I've ever needed to reg my national identity on?

Dying...

Edit: The slip is issued by the NATIONAL IDENTITY MANAGEMENT COMMISSION (NIMC), Nigeria.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Olatunde,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

You may be asked to complete a visual verification and provide a valid government-issued ID. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

655 REPLIES 655
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Arfa,

It appears that you do not currently need to verify your account. However, the Upwork team is gradually rolling out verification to users, and if it is determined that your account requires verification, you will be notified via email or a notification in your account with instructions on how to complete the process. We apologize for any confusion or frustration this may have caused. Thank you for your understanding.

~Andrea
Upwork
peace_moromoluwa
Community Member

My account verification has been pending for an a while now despite submitting all the necessary documents, and trying a couple of times.

To make matters worse, I received an email stating that my account will be suspended if it is not verified within 7 days. Today happens to be the last day of that period, and I have yet to receive any update regarding my verification status.

I have followed all the steps required for verification and provided all the necessary documentation, yet my account still remains unverified.

The lack of communication and delay in verification has affected my ability to earn a living through the platform.

I hope that this matter is resolved as soon as possible, and that Upwork takes necessary steps before my account gets suspended

Hi Peace,

I'm sorry to learn that you're experiencing difficulty verifying your ID. I can see that you reached out and raised a couple of support tickets about your concern. Please allow our team to further review your case and you should be getting an update on this page once done.

~ Arjay
Upwork
daonest
Community Member

I am just wondering why are they rolling out all this re-verification thing anyway? Just to waste people's time? I have been on upwork before it was even upwork when it was Elance... I have verified multiple times in the past, video call, sent ID and bank statements and now suddenly the passport verification says they cant verify it.. They want to keep a safe workplace but for myself been on here since this site has been upwork and made almost 7 figures just on here what exactly can I be doing that is unsafe?

daonest
Community Member

Hi, I had to reverify ID on my account and sent in my ID, but its saying the name doesnt match with my payment account, it just differs very slightly I didnt think it would be an issue. Can someone manually look into this? Ive had this account probably 7 or 8 years already and was never an issue.

Hi Duan,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I can confirm that your payment method is already active. I can see that the relevant team has already reached you via support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
daonest
Community Member

Yeah it seems like the copy of ID I sent wasnt accepted for whatever reason so not sure what else I can send. Not to mention its a bad time to be dealing with this as its the biggest holiday of the year here in Thailand (new years). And they give 7 days but immediately remove verified profile from my profile after ive had it since I can remember.

Hello Duan,

Our team actively reviews all accounts and to keep the marketplace, we need to make sure that each account is still owned by the person to whom it belongs. To this, Upwork may require users to verify their identity periodically. Further information can be found in Section 1.6 of the Upwork User Agreement.

~ AJ
Upwork
b2a8e3e1
Community Member

Hi,
I am new on Upwork. It's been about 14-15 days since I logged in but the ID verification option is not present in my setting due to which I cannot verify myself. How can this problem be solved?

Hi Zohaib,

It appears that you do not currently need to verify your account. However, the Upwork team is gradually rolling out verification to users, and if it is determined that your account requires verification, you will be notified via email or a notification in your account with instructions on how to complete the process. We apologize for any confusion or frustration this may have caused. Thank you for your understanding.

~ AJ
Upwork
0e992560
Community Member

Hello, Upwork support team.

I am gonna verify my account such as id card or visual things.

Kindly help me to do this as soon as possible.

Thanks.

I will be waiting for your kind answer.

Frankline.

bilsim
Community Member

You can only verify the account once you have been prompted by Upwork (if that happens). You can not initiate or ask for a verification from your end, you have to wait for Upwork to possibly initiate the verification process.

056643a1
Community Member

Sorry, I wanted to put this in the support forum. This my first time in the Up work community forum.

I used my my driver's license, and it has been more than 5 days since then. I didn't do any image alternations and nothing like that, and it still failed to take my driver's license. It is a Tennessean Driver Lincense. 

056643a1_0-1681731226034.png

I also tried creating a support ticket from another person who had a similar issue to mine.

056643a1_1-1681731226173.png

But, it sends me to this page. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests

I also went to the support page here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

056643a1_2-1681731226046.png

However, it doesn't even allow to sumbit a request. 

What do I even do here at his point?

Hi Chizitalum,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
elijahagor30
Community Member

In a bid to meet the location verification phase, I mistakenly uploaded the wrong utility bill. I would love to reupload a new document or the correct utility bill. In addition, I would love for the moderators to help me reach out to or link me to the team in charge of the verification process. Thank you

elijahagor30
Community Member

I submitted the wrong utility bill. I would love to reupload the right utility bill or my drivers license. Please reopen the location verification.

0307c6bc
Community Member

Hi Upwork team. I am having an issue related to the ID verification and location verification. I am an Indian citizen but I live in Nepal. Thus, my government ID is an Indian passport. I wanted to ask what shall I provide as proof of my residential address in Nepal? Will the bank certificates work as a proof of the residential address? I uploaded a bank certificate as my residential address proof but now seems like ID verification is not showing up on my profile.

nita_hyrkkanen
Community Member

I have uploaded my ID document (Finnish passport) to verify my identity and have now received a request to verify my location (UK) within 7 days. When I click through to location verification, it tells me I need to upload supporting documents, but I can't see any way of uploading any documents or even information on what documents are accepted as proof of residence.

Thank you in advance for any help with this!

Check your tickets here

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests

Useful info should be there.

Hi Mykola, there is nothing in my tickets regarding this. How can I get help with verifying my location?

Some moderator will help you soon when see the topic.

Ok, thank you!

9b0f8813
Community Member

Hello,

I recently got accepted/hired for a speaker position by **Edited for Community Guidelines** which I accepted 2 days ago. But my account is still under review to set up payroll through Upwork and that I would be contacted soon, however I have still yet to receive a response.

Thank you,

Brainy

You can start works right now if contract active.

Verification needed to receive money, you can finish it a while.

hi Brainy,

I've reached out directly to the team handling the review and they confirmed that your ID is now verified. You can now see the ID Verified badge on your profile to validate the changes taken to your account. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
dawn_kj
Community Member

Hello,
Upwork is asking me to verify my ID. I have explained to them that I can't leave my residence to secure a new government ID. Therefore, they are threatening to close my account. I, of course, feel this is discriminatory against differently abled people. They are asking for something I cannot secure. I can do a video call with them so they can see me, but it's all up in the air right now. I have an expired driver's license from when I was able to drive, and I have me the location verification and visual verification steps, but can't get a new government ID. Has this happened to anyone else and is there a reasonable solution?

Hi Dawn,

We certainly understand your concern and how you want this issue resolved. Since you've already been in contact with the team handling your case, we highly suggest you continue coordinating through a support ticket and they will surely assist you accordingly. You may access your tickets on this page. In the meantime, you may want to check this help article for more details on Upwork's Government ID Verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d81fd577
Community Member

When I was supposed to take a selfie, I accidentally submitted the photo before I got my face into the frame. I need to resubmit my selfie for the identity verification process. How can I do that?

Hi Tamara,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see and confirm that your selfie is now being reviewed by our team. Don't worry, If the team finds the need for you to resubmit, you'll receive a notification instructing you on how to do it. For now, please allow our team time to review and you'll be getting an update on the status momentarily.

Additionally, I can see that you've raised a ticket with the same concern. You may also coordinate with the support team if you still need further assistance. You may access your tickets on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d81fd577
Community Member

Hi Arjay, 

Thank you for the clarification. I'll wait untill the team gets back to me. 

395a860d
Community Member

Hi there,
I am writing this to discouss and aknoladge you about my isssue, I've applied for Identity Verification this friday 14 APR 2023 and now its  more then 3 days but i didn,t get any reply from team team, I am concrned about it because it is writen there it will took 1-3 business working days but its more then 3 days now. But my ID Document Verifecation still underreview.

Hi Muhammad,

I've reached out directly to the team handling your case and submitted a follow-up about the status of your ID review. One of the members will be in the contract via email and support ticket with more information. You may access your ticket on this page and your email once it's been fully reviewed.

**Edited to Update Information**

I just received a response from the team and it looks like your ID is now Verified. You can now see the ID Verified badge on your profile as confirmation. Let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay,

Looking at some of your responses, you look like the right person to talk to 🙂

I have a Peruvian ID, but I am living in Spain. I have a Spanish-government-issued ID which has no picture until I get my residency.

I tried to upload my Passport but the system says my ID type is "unsupported." I need a human from Upwork to help me get through this as soon as possible (I only have 4 days left as told by Uwpork!)

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration!

I've been on Upwork for five years and this is my dream job 🙂

Hi Jose,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
8b4f8ca7
Community Member

I have submitted my ID more than 3 times but I didn't get the verification message, can anyone guide me in this regard?

Hi Sharif,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
c8ef35a0
Community Member

Hello,
I completed my profile 100%.
I was never asked to verify my profile.
I never received an email for verification. The "identity verification" option does not appear.

I do not understand till now.
Could you help me , please?
Thank you so much!

c8ef35a0_1-1681828713566.png

93184f47
Community Member

Hello, 

I submitted for ID verification 4 days ago but there still hasn't been any response. I'm still getting "we're reviewing your ID".  Please check and verify my ID. 

ahsann14
Community Member

I am facing an issue in verification of my ID Document. It goes smoothly every time, I upload my ID Card photo and it says it will take a few days to verify. But after a while, it goes back to asking for my ID Document without telling me or giving any error about it. It is like I never uploaded any document. The whole process goes on a repeat then.

What is the issue? How can I get it verified for good? Where does my ID Card picture go everytime from Upwork Database?

Also, look at the attached pictures,

In "before" picture, you can see that I uploaded the document and it goes for verification.

In "after a while" picture, it is seen that it goes back to where I started.

Please suggest a solution. 

Hi Ahsan,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths