🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Having difficulty as a Nigerian to verify...
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385

Hi Gabriel,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5e1ba14b
Community Member

I can only prove my identification with my government-issued Nepalese citizenship card. However, it appears that Upwork only accepts the ID type "Passport".

Hi Roopesh,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
88a77f82
Community Member

I have a problem with Identity Verification, I live in lebanon and it says that the only way to verify my identity in lebanon is through a passport, but I dont have passport, so is there any other way? Why I cannot submit my national ID? Or a visual verification? 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Slaiman,

You may try submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID as long as it reaches the criteria listed in this help articleOnce you are ready to submit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
88a77f82
Community Member

Hello Arjay

It says that I can only submit a passport, where can I submit other other alternate Valid Government-issued ID?

31fdc37d
Community Member

Hello.

Is the Syrian ID cards acceptable for verifying the account?!

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ramzie,

Your government-issued photo ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, with the exception of passports, which don't need your address. Since Syria is one of the countries that are not permitted to register for accounts or utilize our platform, using Syrian ID cards is not acceptable.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

I went through the ID verification process as a freelancer yesterday and received an upwork email notification today stating I can start submitting proposals. However, when I go to apply for a job, I'm being asked to re-verify my ID again? I couldn't find a way to actually talk with someone at Upwork via chat. So I'm trying here for support.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ken,

We understand you may have verified your identity in the past. We ask freelancers to re-verify because periodic checks ensure that their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. We aim to make this process as seamless as possible, and thank you for contributing to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

I've reached out to the team handling the review, and they'll have one of the members reach out via email with further instructions on resolving the issue with your ID verification. Feel free to coordinate, and they'll assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
nebulaanish
Community Member

I am asked to verify my identity, but there's only the option to verify it via my passport which I don't have. I only have my government id(citizenship). I'm from Nepal. How do I verify my identity?

Hi Balaram,

Could you please select the option for uploading your passport, but instead, upload the document you have available? Please let us know if you still experience issues completing the verification process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
67f4709b
Community Member

Hello, I'm a freelancer from Nepal. For verirfying my identification upwork asks government issued ID but there's no option for DL or citizenship card but only passport in the selcection box. Can anyone please clarify and help me in verifying my account. 

67f4709b_0-1701494687388.png

Abinash

Abinash Babu,

Please upload the available document you have using the option to upload a passport. Please let us know if you still experience issues completing the verification process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
67f4709b
Community Member

The problem is i dont have a passport but have driving license and citizen ship card and therw's no option showing that there.

93d5f337
Community Member

Hello Upwork community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently experiencing an issue with the verification of my Upwork account.
I have uploaded the front side of my government-issued ID card for account verification, but it seems there might be a conflict. The ID card picture is from a few years ago, while my profile image is a recent one.
I'm worried that the discrepancy between the ID card and profile image is causing the verification delay

I would appreciate any guidance or assistance in resolving this matter. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how was it resolved?

Thank you in advance for your help and insights.

Best regards,
Qurat ul ain

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Qurat Ul Ain,

~ AJ
Upwork
320c551d
Community Member

Hi Nike. I am having issues verifying with my NIN Slip and National ID card. It keeps rejecting it.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ogheneofejiro,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

We accept the following, unexpired documents:

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

Best practices for images include:
- Do not crop or alter your image
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are visible
- The image should be clear and in color
- The ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary)

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue.

Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you. I have tried again with my election card. I hope that oasses. It meets the criteria though. 

34fbce38
Community Member

I have completed my profile to 100%. How can I verify my account? And what are the relevant documents needed for the verification process?

I've read the previous replies by freelancers about NIN and the issues people are facing and wouldn't want to encounter the same issue.

I have my NIN and Permanent Voter's card. If any other requirements can help verify my account immediately, I would like to know. 

Thanks and awaiting your response.

Ede Odinakachukwu

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Odinakachukwu,

I have checked your account, and it doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification.

You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ AJ
Upwork
nebulaanish
Community Member

I tried doing this, but the verification doesn't succeed. I've tried it several times. Can you manually check my ID and verify it instead?

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Balaram,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

We accept the following, unexpired documents:

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

Best practices for images include:
- Do not crop or alter your image
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are visible
- The image should be clear and in color
- The ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary)

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue.

Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
4a424bf5
Community Member

i've been trying to verify my id for more than a week.i changed my pfp for like 4 times and i keep getting the same reply ->>>>
"We have reviewed your submission for ID verification. Unfortunately, we were unable to approve the ID because the profile photo did not meet our terms of use regarding profile photos. Please ensure your profile picture is a headshot of you from the top of your head to your shoulder." I dont think my photos are the problem

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths