🐈
» Forums » Support » ID verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
nebulaanish
Community Member

I am asked to verify my identity, but there's only the option to verify it via my passport which I don't have. I only have my government id(citizenship). I'm from Nepal. How do I verify my identity?

Hi Balaram,

Could you please select the option for uploading your passport, but instead, upload the document you have available? Please let us know if you still experience issues completing the verification process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
67f4709b
Community Member

Hello, I'm a freelancer from Nepal. For verirfying my identification upwork asks government issued ID but there's no option for DL or citizenship card but only passport in the selcection box. Can anyone please clarify and help me in verifying my account. 

67f4709b_0-1701494687388.png

Abinash

Abinash Babu,

Please upload the available document you have using the option to upload a passport. Please let us know if you still experience issues completing the verification process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
67f4709b
Community Member

The problem is i dont have a passport but have driving license and citizen ship card and therw's no option showing that there.

93d5f337
Community Member

Hello Upwork community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently experiencing an issue with the verification of my Upwork account.
I have uploaded the front side of my government-issued ID card for account verification, but it seems there might be a conflict. The ID card picture is from a few years ago, while my profile image is a recent one.
I'm worried that the discrepancy between the ID card and profile image is causing the verification delay

I would appreciate any guidance or assistance in resolving this matter. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, and if so, how was it resolved?

Thank you in advance for your help and insights.

Best regards,
Qurat ul ain

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Qurat Ul Ain,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
320c551d
Community Member

Hi Nike. I am having issues verifying with my NIN Slip and National ID card. It keeps rejecting it.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ogheneofejiro,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

We accept the following, unexpired documents:

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

Best practices for images include:
- Do not crop or alter your image
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are visible
- The image should be clear and in color
- The ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary)

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue.

Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you. I have tried again with my election card. I hope that oasses. It meets the criteria though. 

34fbce38
Community Member

I have completed my profile to 100%. How can I verify my account? And what are the relevant documents needed for the verification process?

I've read the previous replies by freelancers about NIN and the issues people are facing and wouldn't want to encounter the same issue.

I have my NIN and Permanent Voter's card. If any other requirements can help verify my account immediately, I would like to know. 

Thanks and awaiting your response.

Ede Odinakachukwu

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Odinakachukwu,

I have checked your account, and it doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification.

You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ AJ
Upwork
nebulaanish
Community Member

I tried doing this, but the verification doesn't succeed. I've tried it several times. Can you manually check my ID and verify it instead?

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Balaram,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

- The ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary)

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue.

~ AJ
Upwork
4a424bf5
Community Member

i've been trying to verify my id for more than a week.i changed my pfp for like 4 times and i keep getting the same reply ->>>>
"We have reviewed your submission for ID verification. Unfortunately, we were unable to approve the ID because the profile photo did not meet our terms of use regarding profile photos. Please ensure your profile picture is a headshot of you from the top of your head to your shoulder." I dont think my photos are the problem

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ahmed,

As per the instructions, try uploading a photo from the top of your head to your shoulder. At the moment, the photo you have uploaded reaches up to your torso hence the system is having trouble verifying the image with the documents you submitted.

~ AJ
Upwork
507cb970
Community Member

My national ID card with NIN number was rejected aswell even when I passed all the verification test ,I was asked to submit another means of identification please assist me by accepting my national ID card 

Please find attached my National ID card which was rejected ,I will be glad if it will be re-accepted thanks 

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Paul,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

~ AJ
Upwork
6f0b6c56
Community Member

Hello,

I am a freelancer with around 5 years of working experience. I have stayed off of Upwork for a long time because I read I must use my first and last name.

I go by my middle name, and would not want to use my First name on any public forum. This is for religious reasons.
Is it possible to verify with my MIDDLE and LAST name?

Hello Sherif,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post. I see that you have already completed ID verification on your account. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
fe1d5a4b
Community Member

Good day, I've been having issues verifying my identity using my NIN slip, please can you help review my account let me know what's wrong 

(ps: there's no date of birth on my NIN)

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi David,

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

~ AJ
Upwork
2c58ea07
Community Member

Hi,

My visual verification is pending for review since 15 days. Because of that I am not able to apply for any of the jobs. Can someone please look into it and help with fixing this.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Suneha,

It looks like the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

~ AJ
Upwork
02a374bb
Community Member

Hi,tried my identity verification three times, but it still appears to be incomplete. I'm not sure what went wrong. Could you assist me in resolving the problem?

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Midhun,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked your account and it looks like our team has already reached out to you with information on why they couldn't approve your submission. Please check your email or access your support tickets here. Kindly coordinate with our team so they can assist you in getting your identity verified.

~ AJ
Upwork
8052ae48
Community Member

I was getting the message - After review, we have determined that your profile photo does not meet Upwork requirements. Update your photo
And now I've changed my photo but I still see this message. How do I verify my photo again?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ashmit,

I've reached out to the team handling the review and they confirmed that your ID has been verified. Your account is now active and you can see the ID Verified badge on your profile as confirmation. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Upwork community & support team!

I am new to Upwork and just created a profile. However i am unable to locate verification of my ID & Phone Number after hours of researching and going through forums and Upworks chat support platform. 

Below is all i see in my settings page:

36599370_0-1701681907395.png

Any help or advise is appreciated. Thank you!

b7af6966
Community Member

Hello,

I'm currently requested to verify my identity using using a passport or a visa as i'm from Egypt
I don't have a passport  -  and no visa as i'm an Egyptian citizen
I only have my governmental ID

Can you help please?

Thank you 

Community Member

Hello there,

I would like to verify my identity on Upwork, but the identity verification option is not available in my profile settings. 

What should I do to verify my identity?

anyone, please help me with this issue.

Thanks and regards,

Uzzal Bhuiyan

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Uzzal,

I have checked your account, and it doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification. 

You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

Thanks, Arjay for providing such valuable information

83e0a3aa
Community Member

Hi,

so my Visual Veritification taking more than 3 weeks and I can't apply for anything,
what should I do ?

Thanks

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Renan,

Could you please try to upload the required documents/IDs to your account? Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue. 

Please check this help article for more information about acceptable documents and best practices when submitting your ID for approval.

~ Arjay
Upwork
83e0a3aa
Community Member

worked

r_run
Community Member

When I'm trying to add Supporting documents to verify your location - the button don't active so i can't click Continue and to add my BRP picture

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Roman,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
luke_nawaka
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm writing to seek assistance with an issue I encountered while attempting to verify my identity using my government ID on the Upwork platform.

I have thoroughly reviewed the ID and ensured that all the information provided matches the details registered on my Upwork account. Despite this, I'm facing challenges in completing the verification process.

I kindly request your guidance and assistance in resolving this matter. If there are any alternative verification methods or specific instructions I should follow, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. I'm looking forward to your assistance in resolving the issue at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,
Luke

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths