🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
02bd3594
Community Member

Hi all,

I am from Iran and have a passport issued by Iranian government.  I live in Australia, but don't have any Australian issued-ID. Whe nattempting to verify my identity, I can't do it because my ID was issed by Iran, and Iran is not on the list of countries that issued the ID.

What should I do to verify my identification?

Best regards

f2780abb
Community Member

Hello, 

I can't upload my photo again, so pls pass validation asap.
It spends almost a week, but make no progress.

Hi Monica,

I see that you already have a support ticket regarding your concern. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
907dcd44
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I've provided my identity verification document 3 times but, it's showing an error. I've only 2 days remaining to verify my ID. What can I do to solve it?

It shows "We’re unable to process your ID at this time. You may be able to add your ID again later."

What does it mean?

Hi Manoj,

I'm sorry you're having trouble completing the verification process. I see that the team contacted you via this support ticket with more information about your verification process. Kindly refer to it and don't hesitate to follow up if you have additional questions. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
hassamsh197
Community Member

Greetings, I have successfully verified my Identity through Governmet ID. But I'm still unable to get Verified Badge on my upwork profile. 7 days has been passed since I have verified myself. Please Assist me in the problem. Thanks

Hi Muhammad,

I have checked your account, and it doesn't need further verification yet. Please remember that you cannot initiate the identity verification yourself, and cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

Okay, But I'm unable to find work because of absent verified badge that shows on profile after verification. Kindly can you assist me for getting the badge as soon as possible?

fa0fea28
Community Member

Hi! I realized that I put the wrong birth year on my application to Upwork and I am worried it will interfere with my identity verification. Will it be a problem? I was born in 1975 but put 1988. Please let me know what I should do!!!

Hi Drew,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance in correcting this potential issue.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello,

It is terrible, nobody help to confirm the updated profile photo,

If you still refuse my latest profile photo, the system showed that I can't upload anymore, it means I can't use upwork anymore.

Just tell me to wait wait wait...but no progress..

Hi Monica,

I can confirm that your ticket has already been escalated to the appropriate team for review. Please allow them time to complete their review. One of our team members will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

1, About the latest profile photo, your team haven't confirmed it until now.

2,About your website refuse me to upload new profile photo, your team suggest me to use another browser and clear the browser cache and cookies. but it doesn't work. and your team asked me to wait for another 24-48hours, now time is pass.

How much time do you plan to spend on dealing with this 2 simple problems? 24days?

It taked me 1week to do this Identity Verification, but no work.

What is wrong with you? 

5c7f426f
Community Member

hello upwork

i want to change my profile name and picture but it wont allow me. it says i need to verify before i can change it but it is a wrong name and picture that is there.

Hi Salako,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your account concerns the attention they deserve. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a3303f5e
Community Member

Hello! For some reason my identity is still not verified, although it has already been a week (it is written on the site that it usually takes 1-3 days).
I have done ID document verification and Visual verification, Location verification is not available to me yet.

Thank you!

~ E.M.

Hi Emil,

Apologies for the delay in reviewing your documents. I have followed up with the team handling your account and one of our team members will update your account as soon as possible. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
be572e9e
Community Member

I'm very new to Upwork. My coach recommends I verify my account but I don't see any link to click in settings. What am I doing wrong here?

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your message. It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep.

What is going on today that several people have their financial accounts suspended without any reason? Several complaints have been raised but so far no answer from Upwork.

Could you elaborate as to why verification isn't needed? As a voiceover artist don't I need to prove I am a real person and not a bot or scammer?

dfb20cc2
Community Member

Hello upwork team,

I have successfully verified my identity after facing lot of trouble in first occation with the support of upwork team. I was unable to submit my ID card as it says unsupported ID format. I am Sri Lankan and I have only government issued ID card. first side only has photo and alternate side has the details including name bithdate and etc. I have told this in first time also and as in the ID verification option it has only one image upload option I had to go through it twice to upload by both side of ID. How ever with the upwork team help (They send me new link to upload ID card. By uploading through that link error message didn't receive) I successfully verified identity and it's solved.

But today again I got a email to re verify my identity to continue working on upwork. So still I can't verify by self as it says unsupported ID format and all problems I mentioned above will occur again. So what should I do now? can someone help. And how many time should I have to do this more?

I wrote to upwork a long letter and send all my documents to prove I am genuine freelancer working in this platform with lot of dedication. I have attached all my documents in my previous request but now it's closed as it was solved last time.

9fc2e610
Community Member

Hello team, I am having issues uploading and getting my government issued ID for verification. I am currently suspended and need assistance with this. Thanks.

Hi Olowonefa,

I'm sorry to hear you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that you've successfully passed verification. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

May I help you then
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello,

1, About the latest profile photo, your team haven't confirmed it until now.

2,About your website refuse me to upload new profile photo, your team suggest me to use another browser and clear the browser cache and cookies. but it doesn't work. and your team asked me to wait for another 24-48hours, now time is pass.

How much time do you plan to spend on dealing with this 2 simple problems? 24days?

It taked me 1week to do this Identity Verification, but no work.

What is wrong with you? 

Hi Monica,

I'm sorry for the trouble you've been having with the verification process. The team just followed up with you via a new support ticket with an update regarding your verification status. Please refer to it for more information and don't hesitate to follow up if you have questions. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
f2780abb
Community Member

Hello,

All of materials I summitted are true.

Why do your team reject it?

And the old problem wasn't solved, the new problem is happened.

I need to ask you again and again here.

Don't your team know my problem is not solved at all?

If it takes longer than 3 business day you promissed, isn't there a faster solution?

Don't your team want to improve the way of solving problem?

It will wast a lot of time between your team and freelancers.

75c64519
Community Member

Hello, Upwork Team!

I secured my first gig at Upwork, and upon it, I was requested to verify my identity. I have gone through the process thoroughly, but when it comes to the option to upload my identity card, I have only one option, which is a passport, which I do not have at the moment, but I do have a national (citizen) ID card. Im from Tanzania

Please help me. How do I go around that before 7 days?

Hi Erick,

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country. If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued photo ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process, and you'll need to allow 1-3 days for the review to be completed.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
75c64519
Community Member

Hello LuiggiR

I have tried, but it keeps telling me I have uploaded an unsupported type of ID. Currently, I have a national ID, Voters Id. 
I have attached a screenshot below

Screenshot 2024-02-24 005527.png

bb0d70e8
Community Member

Hello,

I am trying to verify my ID. I have tried two separate links. Both show not page content/page not found/404 error. Link #2 is the one I was automatically directed to when prompted to verify my id. This is really frustrating. I hope I can recive assistance ASAP. 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/identity-verification/

Hi Vishal,

I've checked, and it doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future.

Please know that verification cannot be requested but is slowly being rolled out to users of Upwork. Suppose the team finds the need to verify your account. In that case, you will be notified through an email or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

Regarding the error you're receiving, please send us a screenshot of what you can see from your end. We'll coordinate with the team and assist you accordingly. We're looking forward to your response.

~ Arjay
Upwork
bb0d70e8
Community Member

My account verification option are not show in settings please help 

Hi Vishal,

As Arjay shared with you here, you're not currently required to verify your account yet, so you will not see the option on your settings page. You will be notified once you're required to complete a verification process. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Same problem face please help 

66fee8ce
Community Member

hi, i m living in KSA on visit visa. I m trying to upload my  valid visa but its not accepting and showing that its expired. though my visa id isnt expired. kindly guide me how to resolve this issue.

Hi Hafsa,

I've contacted the team handling the review and shared your ID Verification concerns. Rest assured that one of the team members will reach out via email with more information and further assistance. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
42940d9e
Community Member

I have an experience 8.5 years of in both US and UK-based companies as a Manager of Customer Support but it's not that just because I am struggling to reach out to a real human is an issue I can see unfortunately UPWORK has a long and huge gap to provide instant support services, I think it's a big gap that needs to be filled and I can discuss to resolve this with the contact ratio or It seems like UPWORK policy maybe now to rely on AI Bot for chats and emails and all the other concerns should be via email AI cannot resolve but the good news is you are exceeding 24 hours with not a single response from your agents raise a big question that if you some how to fill at least the email response time to 24 hours which normally big companies at least set these standards and uplift UPWORK standards (Just an Advise as an experienced manager for customer support can give)

Now back to my issue I have my proof of identity from my Valid UK Visa and latest Bank Statement both can be used as per your vice versa responses I have read for ID Verification and Address Verification that I am living and residing in the UK, but your system which should process this is 30 seconds not able to see the image or read it.

I have already shared all the required documents images in JPEG good graphics but someone human Should Read that my name is there the UK Visa if you have added in your system you should know or your agents know or your system should know how to read it and how it looks like so maybe your support needs some training on reading document this is the second gap I found in your system making this whole process very strick as one agent comes approve your ID verification and there comes another agent comes and identify another issue which is fine I am resolving all the issues as your agent once approved my ID Verfication and then another agent/lead/ or manager Mr. Jordan comes to identify that I have an issue with D (My last name 🙂 ) which I have now update now again back to square one start fresh IMRAN, now again your system is not able to read and on the other address verification you know that to get the bank statement its always in PDF so I got the rejection by saying that non-supported document, now this process escalated so many times that I do not believe in your automated identity verification system so I tried around 8th times to your live chat bot to get me through to some human agent but nope, you cannot no matter what, I tried to reach out to both your numbers on your contact us and left a voice mail but nothing.

I believe it is frustrating because I belong to this CUSTOMER SERVICE industry and these are not the industry standards in developed cuntries like UK/US/ or Canada, they serve customers up to their full potential but seems like upwork is bit far lacking I cannot tell about others but in my case, do you have a manager or lead who can check why I never received any response from your two agents cannot identify my documents so either they are outsourced and limited in their training or high contact ratio which I can understand or any other reasons but I feel aftering going through this scenario is an opportunity that there is a high demand of customer support and AI for now is limited, so any Manager reading this or agent can forward this email of mine to their seniors by the way I will try to find someone in senior and share my feedback where I myself can help upwork optimize this whole customer support which yes cost you more than what you are paying right now but keeps on the top of the game because if any new system like UPWORK launched with better customer support (human touch) can I know it takes time but they can beat you after some time.

Anyway long story short please resolve my concern by checking my day light-taken pictures of valid documents, and letting some human read them if he/she cannot understand then forward them to some senior to read them, and if still some issues then speak with me.
Cut this crap and let me move on working on Upwork otherwise, I will share one nice good review on Trustpilot and other social media platforms because it is an unfair system seems like discrimination which I think an organization like UPWORK should not do that, with any valid reason I am ok to help and provide support but try not to be unreasonable.

Thanks,
IMRAN DURRANI

Hi Imran,

We certainly understand your concern and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of waiting. In some cases, we may need more time to review the submitted information, but rest assured the team is working around the clock and as fast as possible.

That said, I've submitted a follow-up to the review team to give your case the attention it deserves. Kindly expect an update from one of the team members momentarily.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths