🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
30e5ca4f
Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

2,481 REPLIES 2,481
7702a767
Community Member

Hello, I have a problem when I send my ID, it says "We couldn't recognize your document" and I try with the passport and the same thing happens.

Hi Kendryth,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced while verifying your account. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because the image of your ID card was not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card. To complete your verification more efficiently, you can refer to the tips section on this help page.

- Pradeep

Upwork
8fec90ed
Community Member

Hi. hope you all are doing well.

I want to ask that How I can verify my account? because I can't see the opition for ID verification on my freelancer account please guide me

wrote:

Hi. hope you all are doing well. compass dollar tree

I want to ask that How I can verify my account? because I can't see the opition for ID verification on my freelancer account please guide me

Hello, Kanwal R

Can you please tell me if your query is solved or not please tell me? 

Best Regard,
Angela H

Hello Kanwal!

Upwork will let you know when it’s time for ID verification by sending an email and notification. There currently isn't a way to verify your ID before Upwork directly requests it. Here's the official article: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010609234-Identity-Verified-badge

Hopefully this helps,

Mazin

Hi Kanwal,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
3b1442dc
Community Member

Hi!

i recently joined UpWork. I have done the verification and everything but the app still asks me to verify my location, and when go to the link associated to the verification it leads me to a page that has no action item. Can someone tell how to fix it?

thanks!!

You have to apper on camera and complete the steps marked yellow to enable you a verified member.

2f01c14b
Community Member

Hi, I had recently done the id verification using my government issued tax I'd but was rejected can some one help?

The picture is completely legible and I have submitted it for verification again.

a89bce7c
Community Member

Hello,

I'm recently moved to Canada, and I've been thinking of updating my addresses and tax information. I was able to successfully complete the tax forms, with SIN and address details. I also changed the location as well.

Thus, was prompted to re-verify.

I uploaded bank statement of last month for verification, and it says a manual review process has been prompted.

In the picture,the first point is ticked, which was the ID of my previous country. Will there be any issues on that?

How long will the manual process take?

I'm scared since I dont want my account to be on hold and lose my top-rated badge.

Thank you.

a89bce7c_0-1714980397992.png

0e6703e8
Community Member

my account was suspended a month ago .. i tried to verefied my identity but the verification didn't pass .

i have a ticket but there's no update on my ticket .

i need your response please 

Hi Mustapha,

I understand the urgency of your situation and apologize for any inconvenience caused by the lack of updates on your ticket. Rest assured, our team is actively working to address your case and resolve the issue with your suspended account. I have followed up with the team handling your request and one of our team members will update you as soon as possible. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
2f01c14b
Community Member

I had too submitted my I'd for verification but it didn't pass. It was a government issued tax ID.

Can you provide me the reason for the failure so that I can rectify it?

Hi Dibyajyoti,

Could you please try following the tips for capturing the image of your government ID shared in this help article and submit your document again? Let us know if the issue persists. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
9ab69061
Community Member

Hi Shake Shahidul,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced while verifying your account. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because of insufficient information on your government ID. You can refer to the list of acceptable documents on this help page and try again uploading the documents again. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
e9a06ed3
Community Member

Hello,

I have submitted my identity verification application a few times already, yet it keeps locking my account and telling me to verify. I've tried with both my driver's license and ID itself, but nothing works. I did not receive any emails to answer any inquiries either. I'm just being told to verify my identity as if I hadn't submitted anything. 

I recently accepted a job and now I'm told to verify again. Can anyone help? I keep having to do it again and again but it just won't work. Is there any other way to fix this? 

Thank you.

Hi Nurul,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while verifying your account. I checked your account and it appears that you have already uploaded the documents again. Please allow 1-3 business days for the team to review and update your account. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
889e050e
Community Member

I followed Identity Verifiaction instruction as suggested , and Completed Driving license front and back, But when Reached on the Selfie section  to stay on Oval shape the selfie coudn't complete. I tried several  times but can't complete, Whats the Solution? have any option to send the Id cards and Photo to Upwork to complete the process? 

Hi Lamrath,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
35a475a8
Community Member

I'm frustrated with the process of uploading my documents for identity verification on Upwork. I've tried using two different IDs, and each time, after the verification seems successful with all indicators showing green, it eventually turns yellow. Then I'm prompted to verify my documents again, leading to a loop. It's been almost two weeks, and the issue remains unresolved. I'm eagerly waiting for my ID approval so I can subscribe to the Agency Plus account and get started promptly.

Please connect me with a support agent or let me know if there is an option to verify my ID. If possible, please guide the manual process so that I can upload my ID for identity verification purposes.

Hi Tumul, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused. I checked with the team, and it looks like you need to submit a new photo following the tips below. 

• Do not edit the image in any way
  • We must be able to clearly see the front of your ID. If the expiration date is on the back of your photo ID, then you must also send us a scan of the back of the card
  • Your name and address, and the utility company or bank address information, must be visible on the billing statement you submit
  • All four corners of your ID/statement need to be visible in the image
  • Images should be in color and at least 200 dpi
  • Images should be a PNG, JPEG, PDF, or BMP file

You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Upwork
e6b6a700
Community Member

Hi when ever i try to send a proposal it shows up verify your identity. i have already verified identity..plz help me

e6b6a700_0-1714996738988.png

Hi Ashwathnarayana,

I'm sorry that you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

I also have the same problem. How do I resolve it?

Hi Ahmad,

This is happening because you are currently required to verify your identity. After reviewing your account, it seems that your previous submission was rejected because the image of your ID card was not acceptable. Please avoid cropping, altering, or uploading a screenshot of your ID card. You can try uploading your document again from the Settings page.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1c21b72f
Community Member

I'm Neel Borad, and I'm reaching out because I've hit a roadblock in my journey on Upwork. I've been trying to verify my identity on the platform, but I keep encountering a frustrating issue.

I’ve hit a snag trying to verify my identity on Upwork. Every time I click the verification link, it takes me to the identity proof page. But when I select my ID, the page goes blank. I've tried troubleshooting with no luck.

Has anyone else faced this? How did you fix it? I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Best,

Neel Borad

Hi Neel,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7702a767
Community Member

I am new to upwork and it asks me to verify identity, I have sent my ID more than 3 times and the next day it asks me again, I have tried with the passport and it happens the same or just does not recognize it

7702a767
Community Member

I am new to upwork and it asks me to verify identity, but every time I send the ID the next day it asks for the photo again, I have tried with the passport but it rejects it, it only accepts me the identification. I've been trying for 3 days

6aa9268e
Community Member

I have uploaded my documents several times, but my account has still not been verified. It says my passport country doesn't match my residence, but I have uploaded my residence country's residence permit, which has a clear picture as clear as it gets, but there's no way out. There's not a single email/ notification to let me know the status and the exact reason the verification failed. I don't have any other documents to prove that I live where I claim to live. Does that mean I can't ever get my account verified? 

6d82f41a
Community Member

Hello.

I'm a resident of Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan does not issue physical IDs with photo to meet your criteria. I have my ID number and residency allowance document, both issued in digital form, no photo or signature on any of them. They are used only to notify me of my ID in the system. I wonder what is the best way to pass identity verification?

4b0bd032
Community Member

Hello, 

I opened an upwork freelance account and it asks for identity verification, so through my phone I take a photo of my governmental id under the command of the upwork system, also I take a selfie photo as it requests. but after a while it displays the error  message on the top with this " Action Required: Verify your identity to continue winning jobs on Upwork. Get started." And when I try to do the identity verification process there is no way possible to do that because it shows me a caution on yellow circles and nothing else.

So please help me to verify my identity?

It sounds like you’re encountering a technical issue with the identity verification process on Upwork. Here’s what you should consider doing:

1. Check for Instructions: Make sure there are no additional instructions or messages from Upwork in your notification area or email that provide specific guidance on how to proceed.

2. Browser Issues: Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies or using a different browser altogether to see if the problem persists. Sometimes the verification process can be sensitive to browser-related issues.

3. Device Compatibility: If you've been attempting the verification on your phone and experiencing issues, try switching to a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam to complete the process.

4. Upwork Support: Since you’re having trouble completing the process through the standard verification procedure, the next step is to get in touch with Upwork's support team. Although you mentioned having difficulty contacting support through the chat, look for an option that says “Contact Support,” “Get Help,” or “Submit a Ticket” when you interact with the virtual assistant.

Tell me what can i do ? I don't get it

Hi Habtamu,

I contacted the team handling the review, and they confirmed that your ID has been verified. You can now see the ID-verified badge on your profile. You're all set! Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
b5796f2c
Community Member

Hello, 
I'm facing this issue, even after providing my ID card pictures and details many times.
Kindly solve this.

Hi Pratham,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
619df8f2
Community Member

Hello! I'm having trouble completing my identity verification. I receive the SMS on my phone, but when I click on the link, it redirects to the same page asking to scan the QR code or resend the SMS. And it's stuck there, what should I do? The page says it has reached the maximum number of SMS messages you can send.

Hi Nicole,

We checked with our verification team and they have confirmed that you will need to check the following:

• The mobile browser is set to Desktop view. To fix this you need to go to settings and switch to Mobile view.
  • Also, you can complete the IDV directly from a mobile device.
  • It may also be possible that you are using a tablet such as an iPad, Ideatab, Galaxy Tab, etc., which is not supported by the IDV.

After checking, and you still experience the same issue, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths