🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
30e5ca4f
Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

- Pradeep

Upwork

View solution in original post

2,538 REPLIES 2,538

Hi Abdellah,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
eadb794d
Community Member

This is getting pretty ridiculous.  I have tried 15-20 times to take a picture of my ID.  But the system won't recognize it.  i have a newish Iphone, and the thing just says hold steady for 30 seconds, and then says we can't keep the camera open for long.

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry you were having trouble with the verification process. Upon checking with the relevant team, I can confirm that your account has been successfully verified. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b5dd1886
Community Member

I've been trying the whole day to get verified. I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro with no camera issue, I kept getting a Warning Sign of Exclamation Marks, over and over. I never had any problems with face verification on other platforms, but this one frustrated me.

4c23aca5
Community Member

I am having the same issue as others on this forum. The issue was said to be resolved† a few weeks ago, though this doesn't appear to be the case. I've seen other posts where people have had this issue and have been verified in the background anyway, but I'm not sure if this will happen with me. If there's anything I can do in the meantime (ie. manual verification) I would be happy to do so:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Known-Issues-and-Workarounds/Issue-with-Identity-verification-proces...

Hi Gaven,

We checked your account and saw that you have not yet completed the verification process. Please click the 'Get Started' option and complete the steps to do the verification. If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
4c23aca5
Community Member

Thanks Joanne, I do require further assistance.

I have completed the steps more than a dozen times. I've tried different IDs, lighting setups, and wifi/data networks, and I arrive at the same issue that I linked before. It doesn't appear that I can verify and access the account I'm paying premium for through normal means, due to what appears to be a bug on the website (the ticket I linked acknowleged this bug but marked it as "resolved", which is not the case for me).

NikolaS_0-1715078975791.png

c653bad5
Community Member

Hi Abdulrasheed,

We checked and saw that you need to complete the verification process. However, it showed that you have yet to complete the step. Please go here and complete it. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
b7a08fe0
Community Member

Hi!

I recently moved to the UK and only have a BRP ID.

I have a passport and driver's license, however they were issued by Ukraine country. The main issue is that I can't validate my identity using my BRP card, and at the same time, I can't change my address in the profile to another location. It will be an issue for me because I live in the UK. Can you suggest any advice on how to resolve this issue?

Hi Yehor,

I'm sorry to learn you are having trouble with the verification process. In your case, an additional step was added to help you verify your location. You have the option to submit an additional government-issued photo ID or an alternative document matching your profile country. You can visit this page for more information on the supported documents. When you're ready, go to your Identity Verification settings page to continue with the process. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
df57c5b4
Community Member

Hello everyone, am Olasumbo from Nigeria, am new to upwork.

I just landed my firat job today and i need to get my account verified.

Everytime i try to use the QR or phone number verification, it keeps bringing back to the same oage i attached to this post.

Someone should kindly help me out her before my job start.

The system is not taking me to next stage where i need to show my Identifica

tion card, it just keep linking me to same old page evertime.

Pls help a sister in need.

I need the whole community assistant here. Thank you all in advance.

Hi Olasumbo,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the verification process. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cb3bd644
Community Member

Hello.

I wanted to identify my account, but I have, rather sadly, been unable to do so. Upwork requires a phone to authenticate, and I have a button phone with no camera, and don't even have a webcam on my computer. I do have pictures on my computer that can prove my identity, but I haven't found any way to send them in any way. The support bot doesn't help or connect me to a person, I don't know what to do.

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2a269554
Community Member

Hello, 

As a Nigerian, I have a government issued national identity slip which shows my national identification number,address, photo and full name, but  I don't have a passport ordrivers license. 

However, Upwork doesn't recognise it.

Please help.

Thank you.

Hi Femi,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
faf09462
Community Member

What must I do to qualify or be eligible to receive an “Identity Verified” badge?

084752a0
Community Member

Hi I have this big problem with Upwork I cannot verify that I am in a country where I currently live, but only verify from the country where I am from. I live and work in China and this is where I am based, I also provide services related to the Chinese market. 
The upwork system is so limited and do not support expats living in another country.

The systems only approve if you provide National ID from the country/location you set up, there is option "visa" which everytime I choosed and it was never approved. I am here for 7 years and I have resident permit and visa, but it seems there is no way that Upwork can approve this.

Is there any way for me to setup that I am based in China and how to make Upwork approve this? I got twice account suspended because they think I am not here in China which is ridiculues. My services are related to Chinese market and that is why I am here. Please help if there is solution on this.

Hi Novak,

We checked your account and can confirm that you already have the ID-verified badge. You may log into your account to check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
084752a0
Community Member

HI Joanne,

Can you please read my post carefully. I am verified that I am based in "Serbia" which is country I am from but not where do I live and work. My question and problem was how I can be verified to be in "China", as I tried this 3 times and my account was suspended.

You can enter my profile and see that the country is "Serbia" not China, because upwork systems are too limited.

Novak

Hi Novak,

Thanks for following up here, and I apologize for any misunderstanding. In general, if you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly. If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location.

As you mentioned that you are experiencing issues updating your location, I've requested our team's assistance. Someone from the team will contact you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
7715a00a
Community Member

It's been 5 days from the submission of ID verification process. Why does it take so long to verify my identity?

It says 2 or 3 days will be enough to review my details by the relevant team, but I didn't get any update yet.

Should I provide additional information to support team?

Hi Eduard,

We checked, and it doesn't look like you've already completed the verification process. Please go here and kindly click on 'continue' to complete this step. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
7715a00a
Community Member

Hi, JoanneP. Thanks for your reply.

I submitted my government-issued ID already. But it says they still review it manually.

Please check the attachment. 

I tried the "continue" button twice and submitted twice also, but they still review it.

Do I need to do "continue" one more?

Thanks.

Hi Eduard, 

Thank you for following up. Yes, it looks like you need to click on the Continue button and submit your documents again. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
7715a00a
Community Member

Thanks, Nikola.

I have just submitted the information again. And the "continue" button disappeared.

But it is still under review.

Anyway, appreciate your help, Nikola.

Regards.

Community Member

Hi Upwork team,

My account is on temporary hold can you please check why this is happened. I have done id verification process. 

Hi Ali,

We checked your account, but can no longer see any limitation on the account. If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
9c580e97
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community,

I got a notification to verify my account after I landed my first contract on Upwork. I have provided the necessary requirements; Voter ID and a selfie, but the notification keeps showing up in my profile. 

I have done repeated this process twice, both shows successful submission but nothing changes still because I am still unable to apply for contrast. 

I would really appreciate if request is considered, please.

Thank you,

Ebube

@bo

Hi Ebube,

I checked and it looks like the team is reviewing the documents you submitted. Please allow more time for the team to review your case. If they need any additional information they will reach out to you. You should receive an update within 48 hours.  

~ Nikola
Upwork
e71a2315
Community Member

Hello, How are you?
I have created my Upwork account before about 10 days, but I can't verify my identification.

How to verify id information and start to work?
Please help me.

Thank you.

Hi Vitalii, normally you will get to the verification stage once you land your first contract, no worries. Keep applying. 

92dd02e7
Community Member

Hi, everyone. I am new in Upwork and I really need help. I could not apply to jobs due to Identity Verification problems. I had tried doing the verification again and again and it caused more problems. Is there a way to just reset this and just start all over again? I find it really sad that just because I look a bit different in my IDs than IRL now, I am locked away from having job opportunities. Please help me fix this, anyone here or from the support team. I am willing to repeat the whole verification process if it means that all of these will be fixed. 

6599507d
Community Member

Hello, My name is Muhammad umar.  I have tried many times But I did not pass the verification process. I dont know why upworks reject my ID card and face verification process. could anyone help me in verify my account? I have my real ID card.

Hi M Umair,

There are several potential reasons why the system might be having trouble capturing the back of your ID. Here are some common issues and their solutions:

1. Lighting Conditions: Poor lighting can make it difficult for the system to capture a clear image. Ensure you are in a well-lit area without too much glare or shadows on your ID.

Solution: Move to a well-lit area and try again, ensuring there are no reflections on the ID.

2. Camera Focus: If the camera is not focusing properly, the image might be blurry, causing the system to fail the capture.

Solution: Hold your ID steady and make sure the camera is focused before taking the picture. You might need to move the ID slightly closer or further away to achieve a clear focus.

3. Background: A busy or dark background can interfere with the system's ability to distinguish the ID.

Solution: Place your ID on a plain, contrasting background. For example, a light-colored ID should be placed on a dark surface and vice versa.

4. Condition of the ID: If the back of your ID is scratched, dirty, or otherwise damaged, the system may have trouble reading it.

Solution: Clean your ID gently and make sure it is free from any obstructions or damage that could interfere with the image capture.

Hope it will be helpful information.

66b7ffa9
Community Member

Hello. I have a problem with my ID verification. My photos on ID is kinda old and that time i didn't grow beard so now i have beard and kind of different looks i can't get verification. Can pleas someone help?

Hi Haled,

I looked closely at your account, particularly the progress on your ID verification. You will need to change your profile photo for the team to proceed. Please be aware that, as a freelancer, your profile picture has to accurately represent who you are. It obviously shouldn't be a photo of a place, a design or object, or someone or something else (also, misrepresenting who you are goes against our Terms of Service).

Visit this help article for more details on choosing a good profile picture. If you need further assistance, we'll gladly look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1021ad0a
Community Member

Hi, I would like to report an issue concerning verifying my account. I have had it for almost two years and haven't been verified.
This has greatly hindered the acceptance of my proposals by various clients. I have updated my profile to the best of my ability until it is 100% complete.
I would like this issue to be corrected so that I can start earning on Upwork. Thank you.

Hi Aminat, 

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that it doesn't need further verification yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested but is slowly being rolled out to Upwork users.

Suppose the team finds it necessary to verify your account. In that case, you will be notified through an email or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths