🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Success Score (lower than expected)
Page options
ibangajnr
Community Member

JSS dropped

Hello.

This is my very first post here, though I have read a ton!

About a month ago, I woke up to find that my JSS had suddenly dropped from a perfect 100% to 89%, making me lose my Top-Rated badge. I was devastated as I couldn't just find out why. I had glowing reviews from all my clients and 100% said they would recommend me. The only thing I could point to was an offer I accepted from a client who became unreachable immediately after. He didn't respond to my 10s of messages. I had to end the contract since I didn't want another week to pass without any activity on the project.

I had thought that my JSS will show some signs of recovery, but no! It is still at 89% after two update cycles (last one today) and a few added jobs with pleased clients. What is going on? Is this some kind of bug?

I must add that just a few days ago, my client recommendation dropped to 75%, but that still doesn't explain why the JSS is fixed at 89% for 2 whole cycles.

It is frustrating for someone like me who strives to meet and, most times, exceed my clients' expectations. I had expected my JSS to reflect my efforts and my clients' rating of my work, as I have been rehired by a few of them.

Maybe someone with more experience can help me out. I am missing out on some jobs due to this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elmir,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,019 REPLIES 1,019
460c08b7
Community Member

Hello people! 

Hope you're all doing well. 

I'm aware there are probably similar queries throughout this Forum and I will do a bit of digging myself, however, I felt like it was better to ask the question based on my personal experience as well. 

As of today, I've finally received my Job Success Score on my profile. I check my profile all too often hoping to see that and a "Rising Talent" badge and today the JSS came through. I was expecting my JSS to be at 100% since I've completed every job I have been hired for on time and to a client's standards. Everyone (as far as I was aware) had been happy with my work. But, it's sitting at 82%. 

One Client I have worked for hired me on four occasions, but they only gave me feedback for two of those four contracts. Is this the reason my success score is lower than expected? I've now stopped working for this client as the hourly rate equated to around $2 an hour and I had other work that was much more worth my time.  I mentioned in the last contract I'd do it as a favour and as one last job. I submitted the work and it was approved with no problem. He's since asked me to do more work for him so has obviously been happy with my performance but still has not provided feedback even though I'd asked on multiple occasions. I've not taken this work due to the low pay. I also believe he'd been lying to me but just cracked on with my work as I wanted to do well.

Outwith that I have an ongoing contract with a client I believe will be long-term. I wouldn't imagine this would contribute to lowering my score seeing as current and long-term work should be a positive, but I may be wrong.

Any feedback on this issue would be much appreciated. I'm relatively new but enjoying Upwork and desperate to provide good work and build my client list and portfolio so things like this stick in my side a little bit. 

Thanks for your help! 

Nicky 

Community Member

Hello !
My JSS has dropped from 97% to 87% ! 

All my projects are completed with a good feedback ( i have done some work for other freelancer ! ) maybe he dropped me a bad private feedback ! not sure !! BUT HE IS A COMPETITOR

I don't have open contracts , all are finished and with a good feedback ,

THIS is just unfair and it makes it hard for me to get jobs !

how this is fair to the freelancer ?! now i look like a bad freelancer , who doesnt complete his projects and i dont see a real reason for my JJS to drop ! i thought it will increase since i had 12+  projects since last JSS update and all are completed with good feedback , including the other freelancer job !

You will never know the truth.

Maybe one of old contract gone out of calculation window (1 yr, 2yr) now.

am just new to the platform , less than 2 month ..

So it is not old one for sure.

Not 10\10 for last contract, removed one from previous. Are you sure is 10 left? Some clients think 7-8 is great feedback. But it is 70-80%

No, I did not remove any feedback, am not yet a top-rated one!
all my projects ended very well including the other freelancer job, he just did not like that I finished the job in a few mins and asked for approval of the milestone! even he said the job is done quickly and as he requested etc. 
and he left me waiting for it for 4-5 days 

How could I be sure of their private rating ?! I just make sure the job ends with a smile on the client's face. 

and i cant ask them for 10 in private .. 
this private thing is not really fair .

Just unFAIR / Unclear this system is. 

and it should not be called Job success % --- My jobs are all completed . 
maybe client satisfaction % !

a78d9a4d
Community Member

Please i need a honest answer from upwork.

My jss was 90% and didn't have any activity since then.

Now each update have resulted to 2% decrease in my jss and currently 85% does it mean soon i am at 70% for reason i Don't know.

Is this you answer as some contracts falling out of calculation always happen to my account every update. 

How is this happening ?

Obviously some contracts with more positive feedback are falling out of the calculation while others with less positive feedback are within the calculation range.

"Obviously"  for each update a contract falls out. What do you mean by more positive and less positive, my profile have either 5 star or no rating. The last job have more earnings than those from months ago

The feedback clients leave on your profile has nothing to do with your JSS. What matters is the private feedback they leave, which you can't see.

My JSS before was 90% and no other feedback i have or contract since then, the last feedback is the one made JSS 90%.

Thanks for the reply but i wait to hear from upwork support.

yofazza
Community Member

This has been discussed over and over. You can find Support's answers for exactly the same questions which'll will explain in 'formal' style and point you to the support page about JSS calculation. Here's one, I'm sure you've read some of them before.

I'll explain with example:

If 90 is calculated from 100, 90, and 80 (by multiplying and dividing by 3), when the 100 falls out of the time range, there will only be 90 and 80 left (multiply them and divide by 2 to get a 'reduced' JSS).

As for the 5 stars, yes as explained above, the one that affects the calculation more is the private feedback. Not the publicly viewable 5 stars.

56d1557e
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team, I am facing an issue with my Upwork Update and JSS down without any reason. Jss down from %100 to 86%. Please solve it.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

• You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ AJ
Upwork
michaelsamuel78
Community Member

My JSS score was 90% for the past 2 weeks. I have currently worked on 2 projects and am now on the 3 project which is ongoing. For two projects, I got a 5-star rating in both. Now I'm wondering why they had to drop my JSS from 90% to 89% yet it should increase. Are the algorithms working correctly? 

Hi Michael, 

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
pach95
Community Member

I have been working for more than 4 months with the same client and since then I have not had any other clients. My success job score had reached a level of 100% and my working relationship with the client is excellent and suddenly the score dropped to 80% without any explanation.

Hi FIRSTNAME,

I’m sorry to hear about the change in your score. Please note that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.

- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.

- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.

- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
3b6efd7f
Community Member

Hey all! So I recently finished a contract and the client provided me with 5 star rating. However, it didn't show up in my profile it's been 4 days since it ended. Also, my job success changed from 100% to 94%. I had 2 clients who were inactive for months (no messages,tasks, or any activity) so I ended the contract. Little bit disappointed how this can affect me job score wherein all of my past contracts aside from the 2 inactive ones can affect it, gave me all 5 stars. Is there anyway my job success can be changed back to 100%? And also, why is the recent project review not showing up on my profile. 

Thanks for the help! 

Hi Kathryn Anne,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. That said, changing it back to 100% is not an option. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
eleindanilo
Community Member

I have only 5 stars from clients and this month my jss has dropped 2 times, maybe the reason is that I have too many open contracts, what do you think? 

You will never know the trust.

Possible it is low private feedbacks. 

Hi Elena,

I'm sorry to learn about the sudden drop in your Job Success Score. Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on rolling windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
babarsuhail92
Community Member

In the Apr 2 update on my stats page, my JSS was a 100%

Since then I have gotten a new job (contract started on Apr 6) and after yesterday's update, my JSS dropped to 84%.

Wondering why that is.

Hi Babar,

I am sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. Job Success Scores reflect many factors, such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Check out this guide to learn more about the factors affecting your Job Success Score. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Okay, but I want to know what exactly caused my JSS drop since I am at risk of losing my Top Rated badge.

Hi Babar,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.

~ AJ
Upwork
4ccc959f
Community Member

Hello @upworksupport, 

May job success score has been steadily dropping since my account suspension. I haven't had any bad reviews in 6 months, infact I've been having steady 5 star feedbacks lately. Kindly reverse my JSS or explain why this is happening. Cos it's been affecting my proposals and I haven't been getting desired responses 

thanks 

Hi Adedolapo,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop and we totally understand how important this is for you. Unfortunately, we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
4ccc959f
Community Member

Still doesn't make sense to me, how can I be having 5 star reviews since October 2022 and my JSS is still dropping? You haven't provided a viable explanation to be honest. I read the article and it says JSS is calculated in 6 month cycles, I haven't had a bad review in 6 months. So why is this happening? 

Hi Adedolapo,

Thank you for your message. Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-, 12-, and 24 months windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. Take note that contracts fall out of your calculation windows and may affect your JSS without any recent activities.

Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork
alexradislav
Community Member

Now I work on Upwork with only one client in the long term, we have only one contract, I get new milestone every two or three weeks, but for some reason my JSS in the pre-last correction fell from 94% to 93%, and now it's 92%.

Please someone tell me what's going on?

Hi Artiom,

I’m sorry to hear about the sudden drop in your score, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Arjay, how am I supposed to understand the reason of my jss fall if based on attached article everything is fine?

ravi_iitian
Community Member

I am aware of the various windows for the JSS computation.

And I have a look at this link: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-Job-Success-Score. Maybe I am missing something.

After my JSS was updated on March 19, 2023, my JSS finally made it back to 100%.

Yesterday, I noticed my JSS (after updating on April 16, 2023) was again down to 97%.

I had received the not-so-perfect feedbacks on August 10, 2022 and September 05, 2022.

I had used my Top-Rated Perk on October 01, 2022, which had brought my JSS up from 94% to 97%.

The not-so-perfect feedbacks had moved out of the 6-month window on March 05, 2023, and my JSS was back to 100%.

I am pretty sure that for my JSS to bounce back to 100%, the JSS had to be based on the 6-month window.

In the last six months, I have worked for only two clients.

For one of these clients, I have done 26 jobs, and there has not been any souring of relations. You can check my messages with this client.

Also, the last job I did for this client was completed on Mar 03, 2023.

If that client had, for any reason, left a not-perfect private feedback, the effect would have shown when the JSS was updated on March 05, 2023.

Instead, after the JSS updating on 19 March 2023, my JSS was finally up to 100%.

So I can conclude that this client had not given me an imperfect private feedback.

Now let’s consider the other client.

I have done seven jobs for this client. This client has always appreciated my work and has always paid a bonus. Again, you can check my messages with this client. There is absolutely no indication that this client was unhappy with my work.

In fact, when I had applied for the last job with this client, not only had he increased the budget up by 33%, but also he had given me free rein to take as much time as I needed (as he understands that I do way more checks that most copy editors).

So I believe that this client had not given me an imperfect private feedback.

The last job I had done for this client (before the JSS was updated on March 05, 2023) had ended on March 3, 2023.

So again, an imperfect private feedback from this client would have show up after the JSS was updated on March 05, 2023.

To belabor the obvious, my JSS could not have gone up to 100% after the JSS was updated on 19 March 2023.

I repeat that the only jobs I have done in the last six months have been for just those two clients.

So I was surprised to see that my JSS had slipped down to 97% after the JSS was updated on April 16, 2023.

The last job I completed was on April 17, 2023, which could not have had any bearing on my JSS that was updated on April 16, 2023.

Is these any other criterion in the computation of the JSS?

Is there any stipulation on the number of jobs required to be completed in the last six months before the 6-month window can be used for the JSS computation?

In the last six months before the JSS was updated on April 16, 2023, I had completed only three jobs: on January 12, 2023, on February 03, 2023, and March 03, 2023.

Yes, I had completed one job on April 17, 2023, but that couldn’t have affected my JSS that was updated on April 16, 2023.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Hi Ravindra,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie Jane,

Thank y ou for your reply.

I already know everything you have pointed out.

I request to read my post again.

Best regards,

Ravindra

"Certa bonum certamen"

@Vladimir, @Valeria

I do not believe my post has been adequately addressed.

Could you please have a look at it?

I am well aware of the run-of-the-mill reasons for the JSS changing.

I may be missing something simple, but a canned answer is not for I was hoping for.

I was aware of the main JSS thread, but I had created a separate post as I felt it needed to be addressed beyond the standard canned approach,

"Certa bonum certamen"
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members