🐈
» Forums » Support » Urgent: Bank Details Not Yet Activated
Page options
fd440770
Community Member

My Payment Method is Inactive

Your withdrawal method isn’t active yet. For security reasons, you need to wait 3 days after you add a new withdrawal method before you can use it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Huzaifa,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

• It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 
  • You need to provide your tax information: All freelancers who are U.S. persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork to access their funds. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer, you must file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is used to confirm that you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
3aa119e1
Community Member

Hello, I'm currently encoutering the same issue. Because of my carelessness, I typed my nickname instead of my real name in the verified name field (I don't know how to view my verified name or how to submit a support ticket). I discovered this issue when updating my payment method and the system indicated that the name on the card did not match the name I had updated on Upwork. How can I contact Upwork to provide the necessary information and resolve this problem?

Hello Nhi,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked and it appears that the name mismatch on your withdrawal method has been cleared. However, it isn't active because you haven't provided your Tax Information yet. More specifically, you are missing your Tax Identification Number. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Don't hesitate to visit this article for additional details on completing your Tax Information. 

~Ivy
Upwork

Hello Ivy, 

I cannot see Vietnam in the list you sent. And I also tried to search my individual tax number (TIN) on Vietnamese government website, but there were no results. What should I do?

Best regards,

Dasein.

12d3419e
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

I added my bank details to my account over 72 hours ago, but the bank information has not been activated yet. I urgently need this resolved. Could you please address this issue as soon as possible?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi Zonish,

I checked your account and can confirm that your payment method is successfully added to your Upwork account on Aug 11, 2024. There is a 3 days security period applicable to all new payment methods before they are active on your Upwork account for withdrawal.

- Pradeep

Upwork
a0578e00
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to report an issue with my bank account on Upwork. Although my bank details have been entered correctly and have been verified 100%, my account remains inactive. I have waited over three days for this issue to be resolved, but unfortunately, there has been no progress.

Given the urgency of this matter, I would appreciate your prompt assistance in resolving this issue as soon as possible. Additionally, I would like to know the steps I should take if this situation arises in the future to avoid similar delays.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your swift response.

Best regards,

Abdelrhman M.

Hi Abdelrhman,

I am sorry to learn that you are having issues with your payment method. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket and one of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Ivy
Upwork

Where none talk to my to solve the problem

Thank you for getting back to us, Abdelrhman. Upon checking, I see that the handling team is currently reviewing the issue. I have also shared your post with the team for follow-up. Please allow more time for our team to review your case. You will be notified of their response.

~Ronna
3f40ac49
Community Member

I have the same problem, the name on both my linked payment and financial account is the same but the error says different name. Can someone help me please

Hello Sherwin,

I checked your account and it appears that the name mismatch has been cleared. However, your withdrawal method isn't active because you haven't provided your Tax Information yet. More specifically, you are missing your Tax Identification Number. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Don't hesitate to visit this article for additional details on completing your Tax Information. 

~Ivy
Upwork
38b88860
Community Member

My payment is inactive. 

Hi Konara,

I'm sorry to hear about the status of your payment method. I'll be glad to help. I checked and see that your Tax information is not complete yet; this is why the payment method shows inactive at the moment. Specifically, you need to enter your tax identification number in Manage finances > Tax information for your payment method to become active. You can visit these helpful pages to learn more:

~Ronna
f4452054
Community Member

Hi

I am just sorting my payment method and it says I need to complete either a W-8 or W-9 form for tax purposes. I can't see where to do this or find it on the platform. It just sends me in circles. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for sharing your concern. You can go to Manage finances > Tax information to complete this information. You can learn more by visiting this helpful article

~Ronna
f4452054
Community Member

Hi Ronna
Thank you so much for replying. I have tried that link so many times and I fill in the part which mentions the forms but it keeps coming up with the attached message. I just seem to be going round in circles. I’m not sure how to get Upwork to help me.
Thanks
Sam

Hi Samantha,

There is no attachment on your post. Could you please include a screenshot of the error message or write the error message as a response to this post? 

- Pradeep

Upwork
delowarhossen987
Community Member

My payment method inactive why? I submit all of my bank information.

Hi MD.,

Thank you for sharing your concern. I checked and see that you need to complete your Tax information so that your payment method will be active. To learn more, you can visit these helpful pages:

~Ronna
vicky0091
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have added company bank account but it's still showing inactive.

My company is private limited and GST.

Hi Shashi,

Thank you for sharing your concern. I checked and see that you need to enter your Tax Identification Number in Manage finances > Tax information of your agency so that your payment method will be active. To learn more, you can visit these helpful pages:

~Ronna
vicky0091
Community Member

Hello Team,

Money withdrawal,  my bank account is inactive.

Direct to Local Bank (INR) - Account ending in **Edited for Community Guidelines** Preferred Inactive

fc290183
Community Member

I am a student, and I don't have a TIN Number. What should I do?

Hi, I am a student and a freelancer. I don't have a TIN. I live in Bangladesh. I can not register for an e-TIN because I am not eligible. Can anyone tell me how I will complete my verification for the withdrawal process?

Hi Samanta, 

Thank you for your message. I have shared your post to a support ticket to look into this for you. The handling team will reach out to you on the ticket to assist you accordingly.

~Ronna
a4602106
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community and Support Team!

I hope you're all doing well. I recently added my US bank account as my preferred withdrawal method, and the 3-day activation period has now passed. However, my account still shows as inactive, even though all the information provided is correct.

I submitted a ticket about three days ago and received a response within 24 hours, letting me know that my request had been forwarded to the relevant department. Unfortunately, it’s been 48 hours since then, and I haven’t received any further updates.

Could you please assist with this issue? Thank you so much for your help!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths