🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: My withdrawal method still inactive after...
Page options
fd440770
Community Member

My Payment Method is Inactive

Your withdrawal method isn’t active yet. For security reasons, you need to wait 3 days after you add a new withdrawal method before you can use it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Huzaifa,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

• It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 
  • You need to provide your tax information: All freelancers who are U.S. persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork to access their funds. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer, you must file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is used to confirm that you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56

Hello Haris,

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your newly added payment method. I checked and see that you are already in correspondence with our team on your support ticket. I have coordinated with our assigned team and the agent handling your case will reach out to you soon. You can access your ticket on this page.

~Ivy
Upwork

Hello IvygailJ,

Thanks for the help. My issue has been resolved.
50a0f4c9
Community Member

Hello. I'll go straight to the point. If I don't add tax info, will I be able to withdraw my earnings? I will be grateful, if someone from Upwork moderators will reply.

Hello Yaroslav,

Thank you for your message. Please know that in order to withdraw your earnings from Upwork, you'll need to complete the Tax Information form.

Furthermore, if the required form isn't completed, we might have to withhold up to 30% of your earnings and send that amount to the IRS. It is important to note that we won't be able to issue refunds for any withheld funds sent to the IRS, even if the forms are completed later. You can learn more here

~Ivy
Upwork
de60bb6c
Community Member

Hi everyone! I’m a new freelancer from the Philippines, and I’ve been struggling for over a month now trying to withdraw my first earnings on Upwork. Both my bank accounts, Payoneer, and PayPal keep showing as inactive. I’ve double-checked everything—my personal account details, profile name, phone number, and address all match, yet I still can't withdraw. Every time I try, I wait the usual 3 days for the accounts to activate, but after several attempts, nothing seems to work.

This is really stressing me out, especially since I’m the breadwinner in my family and really need to access these funds. It's also my first payment from my first client, so I’m eager to sort this out. If anyone has experienced a similar issue or knows what might be causing this, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you in advance! 🙏

Hi! Have you tried contacting Upworks support team? I know there's a support forum maybe you can ask there.

Hello Jehan,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand how frustrating this must be for you. I checked your account and it looks like your payment method is inactive because you have not been able to complete your Tax Information page yet. Please know that you need to provide your tax information: In order to access your funds. If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer, you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~Ivy
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths