🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Payment Method Inactive !
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

861 REPLIES 861

Now its 13 days and my payment method (local bank) still inactive

and no response for my support ticket until now.

and why i can not withdraw to paypal account and payments still rejected every time?

Hi Hamed,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your support ticket. I have followed up with the team handling your request and one of our team members will reach you as soon as possible. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
1c134592
Community Member

I have a problem with my tax residency. Specifically, related to the TIN (taxpayer identification number).

Now I am in Thailand (but not a resident) and I cannot get my local TIN until next year (more precisely, until next February, as I was told by the local tax office).

All withdrawal methods are currently locked for my account (I have warning about it on my account).

As far as I understand, I can't get my current money without this number until I provide my taxpayer number?

I have next questions:

(1) I have a TIN (PINFL) in another country (in Uzbekistan -- I lived there last year). Can I change my tax residency and use this number?

(2) If I can't do it from here (from Thailand), will I be able to do it if I go to this country (Uzbekistan)?

(3) Will I be able to use it when I return here (to Thailand) again?

(4) Should I use an Uzbekistan bank card to receive my money? (I could not add any of my Uzbekistan bank cards as a withdrawal method to upwork, but I can use one of them as a payment.)

My user id: 1c134592

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Igor,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Whether you are completing your W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E as an individual tax filer or as an entity, you need to ensure that you have a tax address on file first. It looks like you already have and, indeed, completed your tax information. Your new payment method will be active and ready for use in three days. You're all set! Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
04638e34
Community Member

Hi, hope so you are doing well. I am working here as freelancer. started my journey recently, got my first client now issue i am facing is that I have linked my Bank account for payment and after three days it didn't get active and also I have completed my tax information.It's still not getting active status.Any help would be appreaciated.

Thank You .

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Rafay,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist you with your payment method.

~ Arjay
Upwork
MaB

Hi Zaki, 

Thank you for reaching out about your payment method being inactive.  

Note: Upwork has implemented a security measure that prevents withdrawals to any newly added account for three days. As a result, you will not be able to withdraw funds to these added payment methods until after the third day. In addition, you will not be able to withdraw funds until you complete the tax information section located under “Settings.

Please check your tax information > taxpayer identification if it is already completed so that your payment method will completely activate.  

You can visit this link and make sure that you are logged in to your account. 

For more information, you can check this Form W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Thank you. 

I hope this helps. 

~ Bianca
financemark
Community Member

UW dropped my payment method - bank sees no issues.

Had to do the whole "Get Support" JerkDance to submit a troubleticket.

\What gives UW?

Hello Mark,

You can check out these Upwork resources or you can resolve the issue by contacting Upwork support directly

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/sections/360002707473-Payment-Options

Thank You
Nayem

You can check these resources to understand my ideas about to your lame useless response.  www.UWsupportisuseless.com.

Hi Mark,

I can see that a support ticket has been generated with your concern. I've also checked your account and can confirm that your preferred payment method is active and ready for use. Feel free to update your ticket by responding to the email sent by our support team if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

AND YET I AM STILL UNABLE TO WITHDRAWAL THE FUNDS ------  As I have repeatedly told the "support" technician, who conveniently dissapeared when I provided an image of the UPWORK error (vs the attempt to blame my Browser).

So IT IS NOT FIXED!!!!!

Anyone having problems with UW dropping their payment methods?

I was unable to transfer my weekly earnings on Thurs 8.31 b/c UW dropped my payment method, without notice or explanation.

I re-enabled the method and continue to receive error messages.

UW Tech entirely ignored the error message image I sent and attempted to blame the problem on my browser - I replied again with the error message and more browser problem responses.   They have suddenly dissapeared.

This is poor support - and earnings are not being provided as agreed.

Hi Mark,

We understand how you want this issue with your earnings withdrawal resolved immediately. I can confirm that your case has been escalated to the appropriate team for further review and was also mentioned on your ticket here. Please allow our team more time, and you will surely get an update on your ticket once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
baedd798
Community Member

My payment method is also inactive despite completing the W-8BEN form, its been about a week now.

Can someone help me on this?

Hi Gilang,

Thank you for your message. I see that your payment method is already accepted and will be active after 3 days.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hey, I have added first direct to bank account method before 10-12 day and I waited 3 days for Bank method get active but it was showing inactive then I added Paypal method, it became active after 3 days but direct to bank account method is still showing inactive. I have also added tax information but still , the direct payment method is not being activated.

What should I do to activate my direct to bank account?

Please help me to sought out this problem.

Thank you.

Hi Faizan,

I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
faryal65
Community Member

Same issue here. been trying to add different payment method. Can someone help one on one from upwork so i know what the issue is?

Hi Faryal,

Thanks for your message. You would need to complete the Tax Information section of your Upwork account for your payment method to be active. You may refer to this article for more details: Form W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E

~ Grace

Hi Grace,

Im non-US. and the amount im trying to withdraw is not taxable. Does this still affect my payment method?

Hi Faryal,

For U.S freelancers they have to complete the W-9 form.

For Non-US freelancers they have the W-8BEN form

All non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person, and are performing services outside of the United States.

1. Please make sure you fill out your Tax residence card along with filing a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E, under Settings › Tax Information > Tax residence
  2. Confirm you are a non-U.S. taxpayer under Tax Information › Taxpayer identification
  3. Lastly, certify the form by adding your TIN under Settings > Tax Information > Tax identification number

Once you complete and submit your information in the Taxpayer identification and Tax identification number sections, you’ll see “Completed” in the capsule beside each section’s title. If you haven’t done so yet, the capsule will say “Not completed”.

Please note that you must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

~ Alyssa
4f4943f5
Community Member

Hello, 

I cannot verify my VAT number as the company belongs to my husband. We are working together and I officially cooperate with him under his legal company data. Could you please verify it manually or contact me by email so I can share legal documents?

Thanks

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Katarzyna,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance in clearing your Tax Information issue.

~ Arjay
Upwork
eslamnasr1
Community Member

I'm trying to link my bank account, I linked it two days ago and went to check and now it tells me it is inactive

My name in upwork: Islam Nasr
And in wise: Islam Nasr Muhammad
Could that be the problem? Help please

Hi Islam,

I can see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about your financial account issue. Please allow our team time to further and you will get an update on your ticket here and your email once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
962d5b81
Community Member

Dear Support,

I presented my Wb8EN form on 1st September. 

When I try to get paid, it says you have no active withdrawal method out of my withdrawal methods for which I see them as inactive. I try to activate, put information and submit and it appears as "inactive" again. So I am unable to be get paid.

And for both my individual and agency accounts it appears above "Action required: Withdrawal methods are currently inactive. Please provide your tax information to withdraw earnings. For more details, read our FAQs"

Can you please help?

Thank you and best regards,

Hi Tugba,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Community Member

Hi! I've added three different payment methods and after two weeks they're all still inactive.

What should I do to get them active?

Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Leandro,

I appreciate you reaching out to us for help. In order to get your payment methods active, I advise you to check your tax information. 

Please ensure that you complete all sections. Please follow this guide.

Once you've completed your tax information (Tax residence, Taxpayer identification, and Tax identification number), your payment method should be activated.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you for posting in the Upwork community, Leandro.

~ Matt E

Hey, I have added first direct to bank account method before 10-12 day and I waited 3 days for Bank method get active but it was showing inactive then I added Paypal method, it became active after 3 days but direct to bank account method is still showing inactive. I have also added tax information but still , the direct payment method is not being activated.

Thank you.

742c6eec
Community Member

Hey, there is showing payment method is inactive. I also filled W-BEN tax form before Bank information but still inactive is showing. Please help me to sought out this problem.

Hi Faizan,

Thanks for reaching out. I checked your account and can confirm that the payment method is now active. In general, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added for security reasons.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello, as you said, I added another payment method but still my account is showing inactive.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Faizan,

Thank you for following up and sharing a screenshot from your end. I would like to clarify that the inactive message you're seeing is specific to the new payment method you added, and not your account. This new payment method will become active after 3 days like the previous one did, and if you add another one, it will go through the same process.

You can find more information in this help article

Edited to add information. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
742c6eec
Community Member

Thank you.

Thanks for following up, Faizan. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
742c6eec
Community Member

Thanks, I will be waiting for your agent.

Thank you.

1c7c06d2
Community Member

Hello! Actually I added a payment method via direct bank withdrawal more than 3days ago and it still shows "inactive" under it,

i completed my tax information, the W-8BEN because I am a non-us citizen and still says "inactive" on my payment method. I added the payment method on 07-09-2023 And now it's 15-09-2023. My question is ''Is there any problem in my bank information ? or why it takes so many times ?

can someone help me ? I am worried about this but i didn't find any mail or confirmation regarding this.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths