🐈
» Forums » Support » Tax information verification
Page options
2e750978
Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

861 REPLIES 861
ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Ashik Hossain,

I took a closer look at your account and can confirm that you still need to provide your Tax Identification Number to complete your Tax Information. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example.

Some countries may use a National ID number. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

As mentioned in the message on your Tax Information page, this is required to confirm if you are a U.S. or non-U.S. taxpayer and whether or not Upwork is required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Add your tax information now to avoid delays in getting paid.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5b576eb6
Community Member

I have added a payment method for withdrawals. However, the payment method was not active for several days. Can you help me activate a payment method? I have tried various payment methods?

Hi Hanna,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is already accepted. Please update your Tax Identification Number on the Tax Information page to activate your payment method.

- Pradeep

Upwork
88fe0243
Community Member

I have selected withdrawal methods Directly to the local bank, but more than three days have passed and it is still inactive, noting that I filled in the tax information and the name in my personal file is identical to the name I used in the withdrawal method.

Hi Omar,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
52256dd7
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my upwork concerning the payment method. I chose payoneer as my payment method from Saturday 16 September until today, and I see that my payment method is still inactive.

Can you tell me more about this problem?

SAME HERE! I cannot get paid

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi JoAnn,

I've checked your account and can confirm that your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Frank Eudes,

I've checked your account and can confirm that you still need to complete your Tax Information before the activation of your payment method. Please know that if you’re not a U.S. taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

You're almost done though. You just need to provide your Tax identification number. This is the number you use for reporting taxes in your country and may be referred to by a different name, such as a PAN number in India, for example. Some countries may also use a National ID number. To complete your Tax Information, you just need to go to Settings > Tax Information > Tax identification number.

~ Arjay
Upwork
52256dd7
Community Member

Thank you, I've just completed my tax details and I'm waiting for my payment method to be activated.

52256dd7_0-1695168678855.png

2cc0d120
Community Member

I'm so new to earning money. I have huge doubt.I am not paying any tax by now then how can i add my name as taxpayer.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Muneeswari,

I checked and can confirm that you still need to complete the W-8BEN form to activate your payment method. This is a U.S. tax form for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

It looks like you haven't completed the "Tax Identification Number" section. You can go to Settings › Tax Information> Tax Identification number to complete the form. Feel free to check this help article for more information and detailed instructions on how to complete your Tax Information. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
d4645b8c
Community Member

Upwork is asking me to fill out the form Form W-8BEN, in wich I need to enter my tax identification number (TIN) to prove that I'm not a US citizen. The problem is that I don't pay taxes in my country (Panama) because I'm unemployed and I've never had a job either (I'm an architecture student). I hope to do small to medium lenght jobs on Upwork whenever I have the availability to earn extra income, however, at the moment because of my current situation it is not possible for me to acquire a TIN, what can I do to continue working on Upwork and be able to withdraw my earnings?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Valeria,

This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. Some countries may use a National ID number. It is necessary to complete your Tax Information and for us to activate your payment method for withdrawals.

You may be able to find information about your country's TIN here. If you have questions about your number, consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Let us know if you need further assistance, and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
9adba41f
Community Member

I got a notice as follow:

Action required: Withdrawal methods are currently inactive. Please provide your tax information to withdraw earnings. For more details, read our FAQs.
I used my bank account to get paid before and I don't know what's the problem.
Please help for this matter, thank you!

Hi Ho,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and it looks like you have not completed the Tax Information page. Please update the tax details on the Tax Information to activate your payment method.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Paradeep,

Thanks for your reply!

I updated my tax information on upwork and all part is shown as 'completed', the withdrawal methods notice is still there.

Could you help to check again? Thank you!

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Ho,

I can also confirm that your Tax Information has been completed, and the payment method is active. I can no longer see the tax notification upon logging in. Please try clearing your cache and cookies or use a different website. Then log back into your account and see if the notice still appears. Let us know, and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I have the same problem. When looking in my tax information it says everything is completed. I have been on Upwork since 6 years and never had any problems - what is going on?

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Jana Bianka,

I took a closer look at your account and can confirm that your Tax Information has been completed. Your payment method is active, so withdrawing funds from your account should not be any problem. Let us know if you need further assistance, and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d32dc746
Community Member

Capture.PNGHello Upwork team,

I hope this message finds you well. Today I experienced an issue while withdrawing my earnings from Upwork after completing a task for a client. Specifically, I could not verify the Tax Information section due to the fact that I do not pay taxes, I do not have a Tax Identification Number (TIN), and this is the only section left unverified.

I am interested in sending the earnings to my father's bank account, but I am unsure of how to do so. Could you please assist me with this issue? Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards
ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Ghanem,

We certainly understand your concern. Unfortunately, you will not be able to withdraw your earnings from Upwork until you complete the Tax Information form. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

Additionally, If you are withdrawing directly to your bank account, the beneficiary name on your bank account must match your verified name on Upwork. If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, you may add a new payment method that reflects your Upwork verified name, or reply to the email sent from Upwork to start the process of verifying that you are an authorized user on the payment method.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d32dc746
Community Member

Hi, sorry didn't clarify the question. I can't have it because I am a foreigner in this country, I moved a while ago. So, getting a tax TIN is not possible for me here because I don't have citizenship in this country!

I will speak with the support via email. Thanks.

ArjayM
Community Member

Thank you for clarifying Ghanem.

I've converted your post into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
587ebe01
Community Member

Dear Arjay

Could you please help me, I filled the tax form and it has been more than 3 calendar days since I uploaded my profile, but the withdrawal method is still inactive.

Hi Sara,

I checked your account and it looks like you need to complete an ID verification before your payment method is active. I see that you have already completed the necessary steps to verify your account. Please allow 1 business day for the team to review and update your account. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
dfd71184
Community Member

Hello, So my bank account still inactive for over 2 weeks amd i have the W-8BEN completed as it showed on my profile but the bank account still inactive, any help please. Thanks

Hi Mahmoud,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
bed80b93
Community Member

I have sumitted my bank account several days ago but my bank account is still not active. Can anyone assist me?

Have you submitted all your account verifications?

Hi Sandip,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked your account and it looks like you haven't filled in the tax information section of your settings yet. Please go to this page to complete your W-8BEN form so our team can approve your payment method.

~ AJ
Upwork
3f25fdcc
Community Member

Connot show payment method 

Hi Iqra,

Could you please elaborate on your concern? 

- Pradeep

Upwork
2508a6de
Community Member

Hello Upwrok members, hope all you are fine, I am currently facing an issue from a week that My withdrawal method is inactive as I completed my Tax information and profile and it has been more then 7 days that I add my local bank account for withdraw my funds. 
I don't  know what the problem is kindly help as possible. 
Thank you!

Hi Muhammad,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I see that your payment method is already active now. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
d32dc746
Community Member

Hi, I have a problem. Can someone help me?

I recently requested to change my name, after It was changed I couldn't receive money on my account because of the Tax identification number 30%.

I have submitted a form and all the requested info to Tax Upwork support and everything was completely verified. However, after this name change the warning popped up on my payment method. Can someone help me connect the support to remove it? Thank you in advance

Hi Ghanem,

I can see you currently have an ongoing ticket with the relevant team. Kindly allow more time for the team to review it and assist you further. You can access your ticket here

~ Luiggi
Upwork
aminemst
Community Member

Hello, I added my payment method (direct to local bank) and it’s not been activated it’s been a week or so now, I added it two weeks and it got rejected for a name mismatch I deleted it and added it again after i corrected the my name. The first name mismatch happened because on my Upwork account I use an abbreviation for my last name(mst for moustaghit). 

I contacted them twice and they "We have forwaded your request to the right department " but i get bo response even after 72hours

Hi Amine,

I'm sorry you haven't received a response yet. I can see that the team is still reviewing your case and will get back to you as soon as they have an update. We appreciate your patience.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8f889d44
Community Member

Hi Upwork team.

I newly joined Upwork just yesterday and I'm having problems with connecting my paypal to my upwork.
My Vietnamese name is Hoang Van Anh (Last name is Van Hoang and first name is Anh).

My upwork email is sign up from 1 email and email for paypal is a different one.

So now my upwork profile name is Van Anh Hoang

My Paypal name is Anh Van Hoang. I don't know what to do with this situation. I do not have a TIN code to add other payment method. Can you help support my case.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths