🐈
» Forums » Support » Phone Number is already in use.
Page options
c96f18ce
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489

Hi Austin and Fran,

I'm sorry if you're having difficulties with the phone number verification. I’ve escalated your community posts to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
579d378f
Community Member

I am receiving an error "this number is being used by another account" at the last stage of profile creation. I do not remember using this number on upwork.com website previously.

Hi Srinivas,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your report has been forwarded to our team and you will receive a support ticket from one of our agents who will help you with your issue. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
fccf44a4
Community Member

Hello, when trying to apply for a job it's stating phone number is already in use.

Hi Brittany,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
c0e5a2c3
Community Member

I've tried to apply to several jobs, and each one takes me to a phone verification step. I try validating my phone number, and I keep getting "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.".

Obviously this number is in use, I've already validated it in the past! I've tried reaching out via chat support and the bot ran me in circles for a good 20 minutes

I need this fixed asap, as it's completely preventing me from applying to jobs.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ray,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5ee3c037
Community Member

My Phone number is attached to the account of a previous employer, whost business now no longer exists.
i need to release my phone number from that account, so that i can add it to my own.
but there is no way to actually get in contact with Upwork - I cant believe how difficult it is to get some assistance.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
b5ca3431
Community Member

A while ago I created an account of UpWork and did a few jobs, but at the time i didn't know that I had to be 18 towork on the site, and had my account suspended because I wasn't 18. (I learned apparently this closes my account?) Point is, now I am trying to create a new account since I am 18 now, but I get a message saying my phone number is already in use?? when I go to try and login to my old account, it says that the account exixsts when i try ot use email login, but then when i go to reset the password, it says the email is wrong?? I just want to use the platform, but I just can't login.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joshua,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. We understand that you're now ready to utilize and start your career on the platform. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
37d0bd20
Community Member

Hello, the support feature on Upwork sucks. I need help getting in touch with a human being because it says my phone number is already associated with an account. Instead of directing me to someone who can help or being able to submit a ticket, I am stuck on a useless bot that is spitting out the same information. All I want to do is get my phone number connected to my account!!!

Hi Melanie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble using the contact support option. I understand how frustrating it can be when you can't get in touch with a human being who can help you with your issue. 

I will share your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
35dbcaf4
Community Member

Hi,

I've seen other posts related to this but I can't find anywhere to contact a real person to help me. 

My phone number should not be linked to another account, but I received the "Phone number is already in use by another account" message. I can't do much of anything on the platform without fixing this. 

Hi Anna Patricia,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Joanne
Upwork
994f51eb
Community Member

I am unable to verify my phone number due to it being in use already. How do I open a ticket ? My old account is tied to this number

I literally came on here to ask the same question I am so frustrated I do not know how to open a ticket. 😩

Hi Jennifer,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Briana,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
dd73e49b
Community Member

My phone number is associated with an account I used with a previous employer. I no longer have access to that account so I cannot post a job from my new account. It is impossible to file a support ticket with Upwork. I have spent the last hour trying to figure this out. Very frustrating. So I guess you have to post here to get a support person to respond?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Liana,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6dbde9f2
Community Member

Hello, when I try to verify my phone number, it states it is already being used by a different account.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the solution?

Mine also did that. I never got an answer, and ended up using a google voice number to verify my account.

Hi Christy,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths