🐈
» Forums » Support » Phone Number is already in use
Page options
thanh_tung
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

Hello, Upwork

I too am having trouble verifying my number. When I get my money to my local bank, I can not get code verifying to my phone or my E-mail, I tried it in 2 days and it is the same problem. Would you be able to have a team member reach out to me as well? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Leonardo,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Select Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

899 REPLIES 899

Hi Heather,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your phone number. We've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ba6fe6c0
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue.

When I tried to submit an application I got the following message: "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support."

I really appreciate if you can help me in this regards.

Thanks you

Hi Maryam,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
88c94881
Community Member

I'm having the same issue and can't figure out how to send a help ticket!

Hi Erica,

I'm sorry you're having trouble contacting support about this. We've escalated your Community post into a support ticket. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
fa03772a
Community Member

My phone number is already in use, the error says, and cannot complete the registration.

Hi Yuko,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble verifying your phone number. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
07fdcf0b
Community Member

I'm trying to set up and create an account but getting a message saying phone number is already in use. I have no way to access my previous account if I have one. Please help.

Hi Dominic,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
angie797
Community Member

I contacted Upwork previously to close any accounts I had open with my current phone number that I've only had for two years and other email addresses that could have been used with my previous number. After closing all possible other accounts it's still letting me my phone number is already used... how is this possible?

Hi Angelina,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e8e3fa06
Community Member

my phone number is connected to my old account which is closed. who do I contact? why is the issue so hard to fix? why is it so hard to contact a human at upwork? 

2df7d177
Community Member

I was a client, now am a freelancer, under the same account. I cannot submit a proposal because I keep getting the error: Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support.

Hi Sam, I would create a freelancer with the same account you used as a client. I have a freelancer and client account on the same account and have no issues. 

Hi Sam,

I am sorry to hear about the error while submitting Proposals. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
862d2cb5
Community Member

Hi UpWork. I am working on creating a Freelance account and in the final step it's saying my phone number is being used by another account. I don't have any other active accounts with UpWork. Any way you can reset so I can move forward?

Hi Jena,

I am sorry to hear about the challenges while adding your phone number. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
cd6d3091
Community Member

My old Upwork account was closed due to inactivity so I opened a new one today, but have gotten the message: 

Phone number already in use.

How can I fix this? I can't get in touch with any human support representatives. I can't apply for any jobs until this is resolved, so it is an urgent issue.

i am having the same issue and I cant seem to find a way to fix it 

Hi Zibusiso,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Hana,

You're getting that message because your phone number is likely still associated with your original account. As a gentle reminder, you can only have one account on Upwork, and creating multiple ones is against our Terms of Service.

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d2cbe47b
Community Member

I am unable to continue with UpWork since it says my phone number is being used, but I don't know when I would've put it in antoher account. Can someone help me so I can remove my phone number from wherever it is and continue with this account?

Hi Ben,

Please remember that users are only allowed to have one account. That said, having multiple ones is a violation of Upwork's TOS. I've converted your post into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will reach out to you here with further assistance in completing your phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6f0ad389
Community Member

I just made an Upwork account so before applying for a job it asked me to verify my number. No pin came to my phone so I tried again with a different number. After several failed attempts, I'm unable to apply for any jobs because it wont let me verify.

I tried using the customer support feature but its useless. How can i contact a live agent to get the issue resolved. I've lost 21 connects waiting for this issue to be fixed. 

Please help. 

Hi Tannai,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6f0ad389
Community Member

Hello Arjay. 

I recieved a response from Anni, however the situation has still not been resolved. She said its because my number was associated with a previous account I closed months ago. I would appreciate it if you or someone on your team could just verify the number attached to this account at the earliest convience. There are several oppurtunities to work that I feel I'm missing out on because of the delay. 

I appreciate your assistance. 

0498ed6b
Community Member

Hi - I've been a client for a while and now trying to become a freelancer also, so I've toggled to freelancer when logged in, but when I get to the page to enter a phone number it says I can't as this number already exists. Which is true - as I have a client account, but it doesn't seem to recognise I'm the same person...

Any tips?

Thanks 

Hi Daisy,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while creating a freelancer account. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
3046b287
Community Member

How can I get my phone number off this old account so I am able to use this account? thank you

Hi Emily,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e4ca4cbf
Community Member

Hello I am trying to verify my phone number to start applying for positions and it says that my number is in use for a previous account, then it says I can verify my number if my ID is verified, BUT I can't verify my ID until Upwork randomly decides it is a good time so it tells me to just keep applying to jobs until upwork wants to verify my ID. But I can't apply to jobs because I can't verify my phone number....... Can anyone help?😭

Hi Rand,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ad371b35
Community Member

Hi 

I am unable to create my account, its saying phone number already in use. Please help.

Hi there,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
kaidenb93
Community Member

I've done everything I could possibly do to get this error message to go away. I'm not able to apply to any jobs because its giving me the Phone number already in use message. Can someone help me with this. I've deleted one of my accounts and its still not allowing me to apply to anything. PLEASE HELP. 

Hi Kaiden,

~ AJ
Upwork
babsycakes
Community Member

Hello, I'm having the same issue as everyone else. It keeps saying my phone number is already in use and it is preventing me from applying to jobs. Please turn this community post to a support ticket. Thank you

Hi Baibhav,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
08a0b483
Community Member

Help 😫

I had an existing client account with my cell phone number and created a freelancer account through the same login following UpWorks instructions to do so (as I know you cannot have two accounts). My freelancer account and my client account are both connected with the same email address and both show up under the same login dropdown, but when I try to verify my phone number through my freelancer account it says the the phone number is already in use on another account (I assume my client account???). I have submitted three support tickets and have not heard back and I cannot use my freelancer account until my phone number is verified. Any ideas? Thank you! 

Hi Keisha,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with more information and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths