🐈
» Forums » Support » Phone Number is already in use
Page options
thanh_tung
Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

Hello, Upwork

I too am having trouble verifying my number. When I get my money to my local bank, I can not get code verifying to my phone or my E-mail, I tried it in 2 days and it is the same problem. Would you be able to have a team member reach out to me as well? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Leonardo,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Select Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

899 REPLIES 899
Community Member

Hi I am having the same issue as everyone else. I must have made an account with my phone number previously but never used it and do not have access to it. Can you help me close that account so I can proceed with using my phone number on my new and current account? 

Hi Gabriela,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Please be reminded that users can only have one account, and having multiple ones violates Upwork's TOS.

Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you here with further assistance in completing the phone number verification and proceeding with your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e57f49aa
Community Member

When building profile and applying for a job it needs phone number verification. Says phone number in use. Made sure to remove phone number from old account. Refreshed page and still getting error. Get support chat wont allow me to talk to real person and just says "i dont know how to help"

Having more than one account is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. A closed or deleted account still counts as 1 account. What you call your "old account" is the only account you will ever have on Upwork. Did you try to create a ticket for customer support?

Hi Madison,

As Sophie said, having multiple accounts is not allowed and is a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. I'll have one of our agents contact you via a support ticket to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
273a86b7
Community Member

I can't seem to resolve this. Can someone from support contact me directly so I can get my profile/account published?

Hi Kathleen,

I'm sorry you're having trouble verifying your phone number. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
giannibellomo
Community Member

I can't verify my phone number because it says that it's already in use, but it's not as far as I can tell. 

Please help. 

Thank you. 

Gianni,

Do you have a second Profile by accident? If not, get a new phone number.

Hi Gianni,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
d09d2dc2
Community Member

I am also having the same issue, I'm unable to apply because it tells me my phone number is already in use.

HI Matthew,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have already complete phone verification on your account today.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
db905a7d
Community Member

Hi guys, my phone number won't verify because apparently it is already in use. But that account has been closed for a while now so my number should work. The bit support can't help. I've tried all sorts of help form the website and online. I need an actual agent to help please.

thank you,

munira

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Munira,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

I am trying to apply for jobs, but when I do I get an error message when trying to verify my phone number, which in turn will not allow me to apply for jobs and submit proposals. 

Hi Kala,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
carchitzel
Community Member

Hello, I only have one Upwork account and am not able to apply for jobs because my "phone number is already in use", however I cannot contact anybody in support. Please help!!!

Hi Chelsi,

~ Arjay
Upwork
ef668652
Community Member

Hi,

I am a new seller on Upwork. I have optimised my profile now I am ready to bid. When I click on apply now it says that OTP has been sent to your number. But I dont receive any OTP. I have tried several times and changed the number as well but cant receive the OTP from Upwork.

Support team please solve this issue for me.

Thanks

Hi,

I am a new seller on Upwork. I have optimised my profile now I am ready to bid. When I click on apply now it says that OTP has been sent to your number. But I dont receive any OTP. I have tried several times and changed the number as well but cant receive the OTP from Upwork.

Support team please solve this issue for me.

Thanks

Hi Abdullah,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you already opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-28 hours to respond to your request. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
e5bd8df8
Community Member

I had an old UpWork Account and it was associated with my phone number. That account is no longer active and I cannot get into it HOWEVER it will not let me verify this new account becuae it is saying my phone number is associated to another account. I am stuck at a standstill 😕

Hi Sarah,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. However, please remember that users can only have one account, and having multiple ones violates Upwork's ToS. Don't worry! Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you here with further assistance on how to proceed. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
adamwilliams95
Community Member

Whenever I try to add my phone number is says it is already in use but I cant find an account to remove this from and the chat bot doesn't seem to be able to assist.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
f56b678b
Community Member

says my phone is in use

Hi Ethan,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9cfaee46
Community Member

I keep trying to have a code sent to my phone but it says phone is already in use. I saw another thread where others experienced the same exact issue. One rep said to open the support chat and after a few tries it will give you an option to contact support but it doesn't. I have never worked with Upwork before so Im not sure why it letting me use my own phone number. I dont know what else to do and it's frustrating. 

Can I also get support with this? I have been going in circles trying to submit a ticket and it's next to impossible. It keeps saying that my number is already in use when it's already linked to my account. 

Hi Chatrise,

I see that you've successfully verified your phone number. You can now work on your profile completeness and submit proposals to potential clients. Feel free to reach out if you have questions or need advice about your profile. All valued members are welcome here in the Community.

~ Arjay
Upwork
9cfaee46
Community Member

I had to use my secondary phone number. Not the number I have connected to my account

Hi Chatrise,

Sorry to hear that you were unable to use your primary number to complete the phone verification. You can update your phone number anytime in the future. Let us know if you still need assistance with adding your primary phone number.

- Pradeep

Upwork

vmy phone number is connected to my old account which is closed. who do I contact? why is the issue so hard to fix? why is it so hard to contact a human at upwork?

d73a6e04
Community Member

Please help. I was logged in to my account and searching for hires. Then when Itried to log back in I cant' and i cant reset my password. Theres no one to ask no one to call only the chatbot which i cant answer to. PLease help. I was vetting talent and go back to commujnicate with them.

Hi Miriam,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance with logging in to your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
40206c6c
Community Member

I am trying to set up and create an account but getting a message saying phone number is already in use. I have no way to access my previous account. Please help. 

Hi Tiffany,

Firstly, welcome to Upwork! We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e63d8b69
Community Member

Tried to remove it ,closed my account still cant use my own phone number

Hi Gergo,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
26c8152b
Community Member

I'm trying to verify my phone number - a phone number formerly associated with an old deactivated Upwork account - tried verifying with a different number and yielded the following result: "You attempted to check your PIN too many times. Please contact support." 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths