🐈
» Forums » Support » Phone Number is already in use
Page options
Ross P Community Member

Phone Number is already in use

I am having a similar issue. I am setting up a personal freelancer account and I need a phone number to proceed with the final step but my phone number is also being used for a client account which I need. Could someone advise please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!
~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,489 REPLIES 1,489
Joanne P Moderator

Hi Gaviria,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Christopher O Community Member

All of the solutions to the same issue dont seem to be working anymore. 

Hi, I am trying to apply for a job but it's saying the phone number is already in use. I bought this simcard four years ago and it looks like someone used to own this number.

The link to support just leads to a chatbot that tells me to go to the same page that leads to a chatbot. The support ticket page is not giving an option to open a support ticket. 

Can someone help me please? thanks

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Christopher,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Sonya M Community Member

I am getting a message that my phone number is in use by another account that is not a valid email address to log on. I cannot verify the account information as the email is invalid. 

Because of this, I am unable to post a job as I cannot verify the phone number as its states its in use by another account. 

Please advise. 

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Sonya,

We've escalated your community post to a support ticket. We understand the urgency of your case. We'll have one of our agents contact you soon on this page to assist you further with your phone verification concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Ian B Community Member

Hi Moderator, I am having the same issue too. Can you please start a support ticket for me?

Ari S Community Member

Hello - I've seen this issue raised a few times and it always seems to be solved by a moderator.

I'm getting a "phone number is already in use" error that prevents me from applying to jobs. I used to have a client account that I deleted but now I can't use my freelance account. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Ari,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. We'll have one of our agents contact you on this page with further assistance in completing the phone verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Amanda H Community Member

I'm setting up my profile and am on page 10 of 10 and can't progress! It is telling me that my phone number is associated with another account. It's likely correct that it's associated with my old account from a previous job that I don't have access to anymore.

How can I get my phone cleared from the old account and associated with this account?

Thanks!

Hi Amanda,

~ Arjay
Upwork
Amanda H Community Member

UPDATE - It looks like my community post was converted to a support ticket. Could your team somehow make it clear that this is how tickets are submitted? It's confusing and quite opaque especially for new users like myself. I needed help (which I'm now getting) but it was a very frustrating experience and not a great reintroduction to your platform. Happy to share any more details of the path I followed if it would be of help to you and your team to identify the gaps.

Hi AndreaG - I'm having this same problem. My phone number is in use with another account that I no longer have access to. (It is also VERY hard to find a way to contact a real person or to submit a ticket. The AI chat bot never actually allows for either of those actions as many times as I tried yesterday to get to a real person/ticket submission etc)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amanda

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Amanda, 

Yes, I see that moderator Arjay created a ticket for you and our team is looking into your case. I am sorry to hear about the frustration you experienced with contacting support. I would like to let you know that you can contact support by going to Upwork Help Center > Contact Support there you should see the option to contact support. 

Feel free to share more information about your experience and we will be sure to share it with our team for further review and possible improvements. 

~ Nikola
Ammar K Community Member

Im having an issue where I have had previous accounts but no longer have the logins. I am trying to create a new freelancer account for my business but it keeps saying that the phone number is in use. Is there any way to delete my other accounts with the phone number?

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Ammar,

~ Joanne
Upwork
Nicholas S Community Member

I need help with this issue.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Mac S Community Member

I am having a similar issue. For some reason, my phone number is already associated with a previous Upwork account that is closed. I can't seem to be able to receive the verification messages from Upwork. The ai chatbot has not been helpful either for coming up with a solution. Can someone at Upwork please help me?

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Mac,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Ian B Community Member

Hi,

I am creating a personal account but my phone number is associated with my work account. How can I setup a separate account?

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Ian,

- Pradeep 

Katherine H Community Member

I've been trying to apply to jobs and when it wants me to enter my phone number to send me a code, it says my number is already in use. I've tried methods to fix it, but nothing is working. I've also been trying to directly get in contact with support, but there is no link showing where I can send in a support ticket. I would appreciate a link if there is one.

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Katherine,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Hillary S Community Member

Upwork, please reach out to me! 

This message is not for Adam. It's terrible that this is the only way, after over an hour, that I can figure out how to try to connect to the support team. I'm sorry for the ping, Adam!

I, like everyone else, cannot figure out what my phone number is attached to. The account I can log into does not have it, so I have tried to work around it and I have wasted well over an hour trying to create a freelancer.

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Hillary,

~ Joanne
Upwork
Matt H Community Member

I'm trying to complete my profile but it says my phone number is in use on other accounts.  The other accounts are deactviated, they no longer exist.  I cannot access them to remove my phone number to allow me to apply the phone number to my current account.  Can someone - anyone - help me.  This is getting ridiculous. 

It's almost impossible to get help for anything on this website....this is a simple account issue that propbably comes up all the time and somehow it's exceedingly difficult to find anyone that can assist.   I can't even figure out how to communicate with a human besides posting this and hoping one responds. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths