🐈
» Forums » Support » This number is already being used by another ...
Page options
a2710568
Community Member

Phone number already in use

My account is attcahed to another account but I cant seem to ifgure out what emai its attached to.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you need help verifying your phone number, it would be best if you reach our support team directly so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. Please let us know on this thread if you need assistance with this issue and we'll be happy to help.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

362 REPLIES 362
10ed96de
Community Member

I am trying to apply to a job and get error message when I try to verify my phone number.
It says phone number already in use.

Hi Paula,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
b4674d29
Community Member

the number is my number I used when I signed up.  I don't have another number to use.

also, should they have a "try this another way" opportunity to verify with email?

Hi William,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b4cbc137
Community Member

I had an Upwork account through my old job. I linked/verified my account with my phone number. 

I no longer work for that company and tried to set up a new account with a new email address. The system will not allow me to verify my new account because I am using the same phone number. Please help!

I looked in the forums and support posts but there is no answer. Also there is no way for me to speak to a person at Upwork (until I found this page... hopefull). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAM 

Please see the attached screenshot

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If you are using the old number which was assiciated with an existing account, it won't work for the new account.. The phone number could be used for security, verification and other usage, so you would need to use a new number for new accoount Or you need to close your previous account as you are not working with them now..

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response but that isn't solving my problem.

857624d8
Community Member

I am trying to apply for a project but it says that my phone number is already in use, and I can't verify it. Please help.

Thanks

Hi Olga,

I will be happy to help. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket so that we can look into this further and assist you accordingly. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
aed7a375
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to sign up with my new email I'm currently using. However, my phone number is in use with another existing account, which may happen to be my old university email that is no longer existing. I want to use my current phone number with my new email. How would I proceed? This is stopping me from continuing my process in finding a freelance job at the moment.

Thank you!

Hi Lauren,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
998c583f
Community Member

Hi all,

I seem to be going in circles here as I tried to apply for a job earlier and have been blocked by the image below when they ask for my phone number for verification.

998c583f_0-1716277617382.png

The support bot keeps sending me to the same web page that tells me to talk to the support bot and I'm a little stuck. Is there anyone from support I can talk to here and if not, how do I create a request to their team?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

Ben

Hi Benjamin,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
22a67215
Community Member

I'm trying to apply for work and each time it tells me that "Phone number already in use. Please, check it and try again. If you're still having problems, please contact support ."   I have one other account that I closed and ensured that my phone number was not on it.   I have tried the chat bot.  It told me to contact support directly, but I do not have that option. I have cleard my browser, restarted and tried a second browser.

You cannot start new account any time you want. Only one allowed. Some moderator here will help you to restore original account.

Hi Sara,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
0c2b6020
Community Member

I closed my old account. Now I made a new account, and it won't let me use the same verification phone number, even though I closed the old account. Please reach out to me asap and resolve this issue.

Click the above Support link for assistance.

Hi Giorgio,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
78b1398d
Community Member

Hello, 

I have had other accounts with upwork, and have closed them all. The current one I have is the one I want to keep. I do not want to cancel or re-activate any of the other accounts. I cannot apply to find work because the system will not allow me to verify my phone number. it tells me that it is already in use, which is incorrect. How do I resolve this issue? Again, I do not want to deactivate this account or re-activate the ones that I have already closed.  If no one is able to answer my question, how do I get in touch with a live agent or have a support ticket issued? the Customer service chat bot has not been able to answer my question. 

Thank you

Gwendolyn 

The image that I have attached is not my phone number - I did not want it to be accessable. 

Hi Gwendolyn,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
1a6afcce
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, I also am having this issue. Please help!

c13759f4
Community Member

I go to apply for jobs and can not and recieve an error message saying phone number already in use. How can I fix this?

Hi Austin,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
1a6afcce
Community Member

Hi Joanne, I also am having this issue. Please help!

f9eb243b
Community Member

Please help!

I have my number attached to an account I started but never used. I cancelled the account -I have the email showing it was cancelled. I went on to purchase connects and can not submit a proposal! It says the number is already in use.

Help please!

Hi Rachel,

~ Joanne
Upwork
1a6afcce
Community Member

Hi Rachel,

I also have this problem. Please help!

1a6afcce
Community Member

I also have this same issue! It's crazy that I'm resorting to a public forum for help on this instead of just being able to reach a customer support person directly. Please help!

b2500d81
Community Member

Please help! I am having the same issue and can't proceed to apply for any jobs because of if. 

There is no way for me to create a ticket, as the chatbot doesn't help at all. So frustrating especially because I have paid for Connects and am ready to apply for jobs. Could someone please create a support ticket to help me with the issue?

Hi Jade,

~ Joanne
Upwork
d56279e6
Community Member

I have the same problem

I have a phone number It is associated with an old account I'd like to be just associated with my existing account 

Hi Matthew,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
5c751b82
Community Member

My account is saying phone number in use but all of my old accounts are deleted. I don't know how to fix this and I also can't find ANY way to contact support. This is ridiculous! Any suggestions 

Hi Lindsey,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
86a42c8a
Community Member

I am having an issue verying my phone #. It says its being used by another account. 

When I go to Chat With Support and I click on the button nothing happens. At the bottom of screen where I would see a URL when clicking on a button I see "javascript:void(0)"

I am in Brave browser BTW. Tried Chrome too.

Hello Brad,

I'm sorry to learn you are having trouble with this. Thanks for also sharing the video below explaining your issue contacting support. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths