🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Redesigned Find Work Home Page: Feedback ...
Page options
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Redesigned Find Work Home Page: Feedback and Questions

We are redesigning the Find Work homepage to make it easier to view and manage your job feeds and profile highlights. In addition to visual updates, these changes include modernization of backend site elements.  Check out the announcement here and let us know your thoughts about these updates in the comments below.

~ Valeria
Upwork
153 REPLIES 153

@Valeria K

The problem appears to be resolved. Thanks.

Shamila I wrote:

Hi Valeria

I am having the same problem that Frederick mentioned. After experimenting and waiting etc the feed does not refresh or offer up 'new jobs available'.

Shamila and Wes,

Yes, we did some more testing and it appears there are intermittent issues with the "New Jobs Available" feature in the new design. Our engineering team is already working on addressing that.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Fredrick,

I checked and that feature is still there. If you leave the page open and don't refresh it, this button will appear as long as there are new jobs that fit the parameters of your saved searches.

Screenshot from November 3, 2021 10_24 AM.png

From my experience this morning, this is working only sporadically. I've left the page up and came back to it later several times. Only once did the new job indicator come up. The other times, new jobs appeared when I hit the refresh. This doesn't really matter to me, but I'm posting this to corroborate the others' experience.

Hi All,

The discussion has been moved here and we'll continue addressing your questions and reviewing your feedback with the team.

Check out the announcement about this update here for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
m_terrazas
Community Member

I have already commented on it several times, the last one here:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Edited-Saved-Searches-and-My-Feed/m-p/973728#M610051

Basically:
- Make the header and sides fixed so that switching between the options does not mean that we always have to go back to the top.
- The navigation data is lost as soon as you go down the page and that is not comfortable at all.
I think that both the header and the sides should remain fixed so that the change between the different options does not involve so much "up and down".

And as Martina says, what is that huge greeting doing there? It only serves to occupy space!

fgibon
Community Member

I'll weigh in too, whenever I browse a list, I open pages in new tabs with a middle click. Not being able to do that is disruptive, and opening the listing in a popup over the list is ANNOYING.

anna_babicheva
Community Member

I generally like the new design. Would definitely agree to lose the greeting banner, or at least give me a possibility to close it. My biggest concern is that when I look at some jobs further on the list and click on the title - the listing scrolls up almost to the top of the list and I am losing my previous position. All while the slider appears on the right. 

Example:

I scrolled down and even loaded more jobs. Let's imagine that I want to click on this highlighted one. 

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 10.27.19.png

When the slider appears, I no longer see the job post on the left (listing jumped really high up)

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 10.27.27.png

This is a huge deal breaker. If we do not have paginations and just use infinite load, we need to be able to preserve our previous position otherwise people would get lost in their searches. 

Have a great day!

Hi Anna, 

I'm unable to replicate your experience. Could you please try clearing your browser's cookies to see if this experience persists?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery, 

thanks for your reply. 
I have cleared my cookies and the first few results stay in my previous position, but the further I go and the more I load new jobs the more often it jumps really high up. 

I might try to record the Loom for you to show how it works, would that help?

Hey Avery,

I can confirm the issue Anna is reporting. When clicking on a job title to open the slider, the jobs list jumps up. Most probably devs are still working on it and it will be fixed soon.

Regards,

Marius

Hi Anna, Marius, and Muhammed, thank you for sharing more info.

Anna, and Marius, thanks for confirming the issue where the jobs list jumps up. 
Anna, I would appreciate it if you can send a Loom video to me through a private message so that I can send this to the team to be investigated further. 

Muhammed, and Marius, I have also taken note of the opening the job in a new tab from the job feed (not from the pop-up). 

Once our team has more information, we'll come back here with more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

An example of what he was commenting on. Actually, from the bar on the left, only the information about connects would be useful because the rest is either redundant or already appears in the header. So this data could be added to the header and the information could be expanded to the entire screen. Just an idea.

0000findwork.jpg

Hey Avery,

Did Anna sent you a video showing this issue? Were you able to replicate it?

Please let me know, if not I'll take a video and show you. 

This issue is very annoying. It actually makes it impossible for anyone to use the Find work page to look at jobs. I honestly can't believe this hasn't been working for a few days already.

Regards,

Marius

Hi Marius,

Yes! We could replicate that issues and it's already on the team's list of items to fix. We'll provide an update here once we have more information.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

This is happening with me as well. 

mpanaitescu
Community Member

I just noticed that I can't open jobs in a new tab by clicking the mouse wheel.

Is this on purpose? And if yes, why would upWork do that? For me, this affects the way I search for jobs.. scanning the feed, opening in new tabs then reading details. I am sure there are others that do the same. I honestly can't think of an efficient way to search for jobs now with the lack of this functionality 😞

Please tell me that was unintentional or upWork was just testing the new layout.

Hi Marius, 

It sounds like you're referring to the redesign of the Find Work homepage. I have merged your thread here, and you may read more about it here.

I checked your experience, and I can see that when you click on the job, a window pops up on the right, and you should be able to click on the option to open the job in a new tab from there. Let me know if you're not seeing this option so that I can look into it further. 
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.30.48 AM.png

~ Avery
Upwork

Hey Avery,

That was there before. But getting to that requires an additional step that completely breaks the workflow I've been using for years. As I see, there are others that miss this functionality. So I really hope that was unintended or temporary and we'll have it back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Marius 

Marius P wrote:

Hey Avery,

That was there before. But getting to that requires an additional step that completely breaks the workflow I've been using for years. As I see, there are others that miss this functionality. So I really hope that was unintended or temporary and we'll have it back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Marius 

It's two more steps. Click on the job, click on "Open in another window", click on the arrow to return to the list.
It is not very comfortable, no.

ETA.- I forgot one more step. Click on the jobs tab to return to the list and close the window.
Too many steps.

We all know about that link but before this update, we were able to right click on the job title and and the job was opened in a new tab while no we have to perform extra action.

So, please enable the job titles to be right clicked.

wescowley
Community Member

Another issue that I noticed this morning: Each time I report a job, when I go back to the list, the tab is frozen. It won't scroll up or down until I reload the page, which starts me off from the top of the list again. This is in Chrome on a Win10 desktop.

ETA: Workaround: click the heart to save the job, open saved list in new tab, report the job, click the heart again to unsave it, go back to the tab with the job list. Yes, this is easier. Thank you.

Wes C wrote:

Another issue that I noticed this morning: Each time I report a job, when I go back to the list, the tab is frozen. It won't scroll up or down until I reload the page, which starts me off from the top of the list again. This is in Chrome on a Win10 desktop.

ETA: Workaround: click the heart to save the job, open saved list in new tab, report the job, click the heart again to unsave it, go back to the tab with the job list. Yes, this is easier. Thank you.

That happens to me both when flag jobs and freelancers.
The only thing I could do was refresh the page, with the consequent loss of position in the list, of course.

Wes C wrote:

I noticed this morning that this seems to be fixed now, and the "go back to the top" button is back. Thanks for those fixes.

davydkoff
Community Member

Hi,

I flagged a job as spam from a pop-up window, and then I lose my scroll and can't view the job feed any further.

Hi Ilia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked but could not replicate the issue you are experiencing. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser? If the issue still persists please send us a screenshot from your and so that we can assist you accordingly. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

image.png

Hi,

Please open the "Flag as inappropriate" window in any pop-up and go back to the feed

Ilia D wrote:

Hi,

Please open the "Flag as inappropriate" window in any pop-up and go back to the feed

Yes, if you don't refresh the page, you can't move anymore Smiley Frustrated

ETA.- And it just happened to me here. I have replied to your post and after submitting, go back to the thread without the side scrolling bar.

researchediting
Community Member

Although it will fall on deaf ears, I shall again mention the peculiarity of having our personal landing/home page not be our account dashboard, but FIND WORK[!].

In the brick and mortar world, the equivalent would be — rather than being allowed to greet our colleagues, settle into our workstaton, and review the day’s agenda — to be handled a list immediately on setting foot in the workplace, with the instruction “Get busy!“

Many of us are here at least in part because we don’t want to work in places like that.

vladimirbalt
Community Member

The redesign looks quite nice actually. Is there any word about the dark theme coming along with this home page update?

Hey upWork,

OK so.. other than not being able to open a job in a new tab, there's another issue that's even more annoying. When clicking a job title to open the details in the side slider, the list jumps up and down. I see that there are several freenlancers that reported the same issue. The new tab issue might be intended, though I don't see why someone would choose to do that. But this is obviously a bug, and a very annoying one, that eats my time, breaks my worflow and decreases my productivity.

Please let us know.. are you going to do something about it? I honestly don't understand why something that worked so well needed a redesign. But at least please make it work as it should, and don't remove functionality we relied on for years. Thank you!

Best regards,

Marius

pawelmucha
Community Member

A very irritating issue on desktop Chrome (maybe others too, I don't know):

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the job feed.

2. Click on any of the offers, so it slides into the view.

3. Click outside, so it hides and you return to the main list.

4. Scroll the window down.

5. Click on some other offer.

Bug: The main list gets scrolled back up to the previously chosen offer.

Now imagine you clicked [Load more jobs] 10 times now, you have loaded 200 more offers and you click one to check out. You get scrolled up X screens and now you're lost.

Someone already mentioned it: In the new version I can't just open the offers in the new window. I don't know who was so intelligent to remove this feature just like that. I know I can do it from the opened offer, but then the above described bug happens.

I want my old job feed back.

Also how do I remove the dumb "Good morning", "Good evening" box which takes up half a screen? I can't believe someone there figured that it would make me feel better.

nimigean
Community Member

I want my old Job Feed back. 

Bad:

• I can't open the jobs in new tabs
  • I don't need the "Good Afternoon, my name, date" banner
  • I want to see when new jobs are updated in my feed without refreshing the page - I miss that old button that was telling me that new jobs are posted.

Good:

• More text, wider box, for the preview
  • Tab for the "Saved Jobs"

And how about a "back to top" button? That would a nice thing to have as well.

What I was asking for is that the heading with the search options, be "fixed".
But in the absence of that, your idea is fine 👍

Susan S wrote:

And how about a "back to top" button? That would a nice thing to have as well.

Yes, please put that back. It saves having to drag the scrollbar all the way back up.

tcaldara
Community Member

Thanks for the announcement. I was just about to open a new topic when I saw this thread.

Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, but something I'd love to see added would be a detailed filter in the job search section.

As an example, a search filter that would let freelancers sort new job postings by:
- Hourly/Fixed price contract type
- Estimated budget of the client (either $/hr or $/fixed)
- Expertise required/wanted by the client (beginner - intermediate - expert)

- Other options such as languages and so on.

I hope this feedback is taken into account 🙂

Best regards,

Tomas

Tomás C wrote:

Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, but something I'd love to see added would be a detailed filter in the job search section.

Most of these are available already. Do a keyword search. On the results screen, you'll see the filters.

Hi Tomas,

As Wes noted many of those filters are already available on the Job Search page. To access the search page, simply click on the green looking glass icon. You'll see various filters and will be able to tailor your searches as you'd like. After that, you can save those custom searches to your Job Feed. 

kochubei_valeria_0-1636399302993.png

For more information about searching for jobs and saving searches, check out this help article. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Tomas,

As Wes noted many of those filters are already available on the Job Search page. To access the search page, simply click on the green looking glass icon. You'll see various filters and will be able to tailor your searches as you'd like. After that, you can save those custom searches to your Job Feed. 

kochubei_valeria_0-1636399302993.png

For more information about searching for jobs and saving searches, check out this help article. 

Hi Valeria,
I have the new "Find Work" layout.
What is the "green looking glass icon"? I don't see anything like it.
If I want the filters to appear, I have to type something in "Search for job".

Maria T wrote:

Hi Valeria,

I have the new "Find Work" layout.
What is the "green looking glass icon"? I don't see anything like it.
If I want the filters to appear, I have to type something in "Search for job".

Maria, it's not necessary to type anything into the search bar. You should be able to just hit the button on the screenshot below and it'll take you to search. On Google Chrome it does. Could you please try and let me know if it works for you?

kochubei_valeria_0-1636402382332.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths