🐈
» Forums » Support » 'Suspicious login' messages keep coming to my...
Page options
df5ca2a5
Community Member

'Suspicious login' messages keep coming to my mailbox

I keep receiving the following warnings on my mailbox:

We noticed a recent login to your Upwork account df5ca2a5 from an unfamiliar location or device.
Timestamp
April 24, 2024 2:52 PM

I have received a couple of them yesterday and one today.

Yesterday I have changed my password twice and strengthened my account protection level.

Do you know what may cause these regular messages and how dangerous these activities may be?

Why does the account in these emails has such a strange name: df5ca2a5 (it's mot mine), and yet the messages come to my mailbox?

Personally I do not live in Stockholm, although located in Sweden.

I use sometimes my phone and sometimes my laptop to work on Upwork platform.

I hope I will get a comprehencive explanation throught this support service, since these messages worry me a lot, and I am not sure any more how much I can trust the Upwork platform.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

/Anna

1 REPLY 1
3ee81427
Community Member

It sounds like you're dealing with a potentially concerning situation, but there are a few possible explanations for the warnings you're receiving about your Upwork account. Here's what may be happening:

1. Suspicious Login Attempts: These warnings typically occur when Upwork detects login attempts from unfamiliar locations or devices. Since you're receiving them despite changing your password and strengthening your account security, it's possible that someone is trying to gain unauthorized access to your account.

2. Dynamic IP Addresses: Your IP address might be changing frequently due to your internet connection type (e.g., mobile data), causing Upwork to interpret your logins as coming from different locations. This could explain the messages about logins from Stockholm even though you're in Sweden.

3. Device Usage: Using both your phone and laptop to access Upwork may also trigger these warnings, especially if they have different IP addresses or if you're frequently switching between them.

As for the strange account name (df5ca2a5), it's likely a unique identifier used by Upwork's notification system to reference your account. It might not correspond directly to your username.

Here's what you can do:

1. Review Account Activity: Check your Upwork account for any unusual activity, such as unauthorized transactions or changes to your profile.

2. Contact Upwork Support: Reach out to Upwork's support team to report the issue and ask for guidance on securing your account. They may be able to provide additional insight and assistance.

3. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): If you haven't already, consider enabling 2FA for your Upwork account. This adds an extra layer of security by requiring a code from your phone or another device in addition to your password.

4. Stay Vigilant: Keep an eye on your account and be cautious of any suspicious emails or messages asking for personal information or login credentials.

It's important to take these warnings seriously, but with the right precautions, you can help protect your Upwork account from unauthorized access.

To address the situation and ensure the security of your Upwork account, here's a step-by-step solution:

1. Review Account Activity:

• Log in to your Upwork account and review the recent activity to check for any unauthorized transactions, changes to your profile, or suspicious behavior.
  2. Change Password:

• Change your Upwork password again to something strong and unique. Ensure it's not used for any other accounts.
  3. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA):

• Go to your Upwork account settings and enable two-factor authentication (2FA). This adds an extra layer of security by requiring a verification code from your phone or another trusted device when logging in.
  4. Contact Upwork Support:

• Reach out to Upwork's support team through their website or support email. Explain the situation and provide details about the warnings you've been receiving, including timestamps and locations.
    • Ask for guidance on securing your account and inquire if they've noticed any suspicious activity on their end.
    • If possible, request additional measures such as reviewing recent login attempts or temporarily locking the account for further investigation.
  5. Monitor Account Activity:

• Keep an eye on your Upwork account for any further suspicious activity. Regularly review your transaction history and profile settings.
  6. Update Device Security:

• Ensure the devices you use to access Upwork (such as your phone and laptop) have up-to-date security measures, including antivirus software and secure network connections.
  7. Educate Yourself:

• Stay informed about common phishing tactics and other online security threats. Be cautious of any emails or messages asking for personal information or login credentials.

By following these steps and staying vigilant, you can help protect your Upwork account from unauthorized access and ensure the safety of your personal information.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths