🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Name Mis-Match on Account verification
Page options
c3ca1bf0
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hello, today, I am trying to add paypal as an additional payment method.

My full name on paypal account is Cong Dinh, which is the same on upwork account.

But upwork says:

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

But I noticed that the verified name on contracts and invoices is Ding Cong. Is this the reason?

If so, this should not be a big deal!

Can you help me add paypal quickly?

Best regards.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

235 REPLIES 235
4fd2b572
Community Member

Hello,Please this is the second time the name mismatch error is on my profile. The name is the same on both accounts.Please can anyone look into it.

caff5704
Community Member

My last name was verified differently with with one letter , My family name is Zineldin so I can not get my PayPal to withdraw.

Also, I am from Egypt and don't know how to get my TIN , please help me 

Hi Mohamed,

I took a closer look at your account and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. You can now complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E to fully activate your payment method. To proceed, you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings. 

You may visit this help article for more information and detailed instructions.

~ Arjay
Upwork
caff5704
Community Member

Thank you for your responce but I still have the same problem with phrase: ( Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.) 

husnafzal
Community Member

Hi, 
I didn't know the policy that for buying connects we have to use a credit/debit card of the name similar to my account name. I mistakenly used my Husband's card. hence upwork restricted my actions and required account verification. I deleted my husband's card from the records and now uploaded a debit card with my name. but my verification is still showing my husband name.how do I remove my husband name ,so that it shows my name and I can verify it with my government id.

Hi there,

I understand that you've encountered an issue with your payment method due to Upwork's policy on using a credit/debit card that matches the name on your account. You've done the right thing by removing your husband's card and adding one that is in your name.

Here are steps you can take to fix this issue:

1. Contact Support: Reach out to Upwork's customer support team, explaining the situation. They are the only ones with the authority to assist you with account verification issues and can guide you through the process of updating your name.
  2. Prepare Documentation: Have your government-issued ID and the new debit card ready for when you are asked to provide proof to Upwork's support team.
  3. Request Name Correction: Ask explicitly for instructions on how to remove your husband's name from the verification process and replace it with your name.

If you got need again then feel free to reach out me. Thanks

I am trying to connect to Upwork support team but unfortunately I am unable to navigate that how to contact them.

Hi Husna,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
94d20224
Community Member

Hello!

My first name has a space in between in my profile (eg Mike John), and my bank name has no space (eg Mikejohn) as per my documents.

Hence it showed me the error that the beneficiary name doesn't match, so i requested for a name change. It says it'll be reviewed in 48hours. Once it gets approved will I be able to add my bank account? Let me know thank you.

Hi Neha,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and can confirm that your payment method is already accepted. It will be active starting April 10th 2024.

- Pradeep

Upwork
3b0056b1
Community Member

"I mistakenly entered the wrong name on my financial account. Instead of 'H' in my name, I entered 'N'. Now, when I try to add a payment method for withdrawal, it's showing an error message saying:

'The beneficiary name is mismatched.'

I need help because I can't find any option for chat or creating a support ticket. Could you please assist me?"

Hi Zabih,

I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted. It will be active starting April 10th, 2024. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
hossam_hamed
Community Member

Hi,

I am unable to verify my name with bank account name. Can you please reach out to me as I need to get this verified. Please assist. I can share account details if needed.

Thanks,
Hossam

Hi Hossam,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6b1cce74
Community Member

Hi, I'm veried already and my bank was verified but now see that upwor said beneficiary mismatched please help . Can you please reach out to me as I need to get this verified. Please assist

6b1cce74_0-1712544911715.png

Hi Dauda,

I'm sorry you are encountering this error. I can see that you removed the payment method from your account. Could you please add it again? Even if you get a beneficiary name mismatch error, the relevant team will proceed to review it and ensure it is valid. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8db8adf6
Community Member

Hello Upwork,

I have completed a contract and order from the Upwork agency. I cannot add payment either on an individual or agency basis because the notification on PayPal and Upwork does not match even though it is identical.

Furthermore, when adding payment to the agency, who can be named on the payment account? The agency founder or any manager?

Thank you.

Hi Toan,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5b3bbac3
Community Member

Hi,

I want to add my business bank account to my profile, but it is obviously not the same name as my personal name. ALSO, my business name has a "&" in it, which I could not enter into your system. So, I need someone from support to write me an email for two reasons:

(1) My real business name on my bank account needs to be entered into your system with an "&" in it.

(2) It needs to be varified.

Please create a ticket for me and get in touch. 

Many thanks and wishing you the best day,

Marieke

Hi Marieke,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I see that your payment method is already rejected for name mismatch. Our team will reach out to you via your registered email address to seek clarification on the name mismatch. Please do not hesitate to follow up with them directly on the same email if you have further questions.

- Pradeep

Upwork
beemeeman
Community Member

During my last verification there was some mistakes and upwork add some random name to my Certificate of earning. And now Iam unable to create payment method.  I create Help Request, but I always get copy/past scripted answers with link to verify my identity. But during verification I upload my passport and they say: The name on the ID submitted is different than your account name. I know that it is the reason because I need new verification. What should I do?

Hi Yevgenii,

I can see that you've recently replied to the team assisting you through your support ticket explaining your situation. Kindly allow more time for the team to follow up; they'll continue to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi. Thanks for your answer.
I write here, because they didn't help at all. I spent 4 days. It block my work here, I asking client to wait.  I upload my passport and get: "The name on the ID submitted is different than your account name" -- but this is the problem, that account name is bad. That is why I need help.

a_trush
Community Member

Hi. I have an upwork agency and I would like to transfer money to my Estonian OU. 

I am receiving such an error: "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

If I am correct Upwork compares my personal name and company name (the beneficiary name) and for sure they are different.

How can I solve this problem?

Hi Andrii,

We've shared your agency's account concern with the relevant team and raised a ticket to give this the attention it deserves. One of the team members will reach out to you on this page with further assistance once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
caff5704
Community Member

Thank you ,ArjayM for your response, however my last name (Zineldin) is not modified in the certificate of earnings and the beneficiary name is still mismatched and I can not withdraw my earnings in Eid !

Hi Mohamed,

I took a closer look and confirmed that the name mismatch has been cleared. Your PayPal payment method is now active and ready for use while the local bank account you recently added is going to be active in three days. Looks like you're all set! Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
caff5704
Community Member

Hi Arjay, 

Thanks, when I tried to get paid using PayPal, the process failed and get email with ( unable to apply fund).

08b84f58
Community Member

I'm reaching out again  to seek urgent assistance with a name mismatch issue I'm facing while trying to withdraw funds from my Upwork account to my recently added PayPal.

Every time I try to make a withdrawal, I receive an error message stating that there is a name mismatch. However, after carefully reviewing both my Upwork and PayPal accounts, I can confirm that the names are exactly the same. This discrepancy is causing a lot of inconvenience as it hinders me from accessing the funds in a timely manner.

I kindly request your help in investigating this matter thoroughly and providing guidance on how to resolve the name mismatch problem between Upwork and PayPal. .

I truly appreciate your attention to this matter and would be grateful for your prompt resolution.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi Emmanuel,

I checked with our verification team, and they've confirmed that your name mismatch error has been approved. You may log into your account to check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
b192c26e
Community Member

my paypal username is Chinese character 堃芃, That's the name on my bank card  and it's tied to paypal.

upwork requires the same user name as paypal, but only supports English user names.

The page keeps reminding me "The beneficiary name is mismatched. "

5f8d2b18
Community Member

Hello! My payment method was deactivated due to beneficiary name mismatched. I found out my family name on the Certificate of Earnings is has a different spelling. Now, I have reached out to support but there is no feedback. Do they manually type this thing?

Hi Ma. Michelle, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I reached out to the team handling your case and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork
b42229ee
Community Member

Hello- I've tried adding three payment methods (Paypal, bank account, and debit card) which have my correct name, but I am still receiiving the "beneficiary name is mismatched" error. I'm supposed to be paid for recent work in the next few days, so would it be possible to get this resolved as soon as possible?

Hi Abby,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b42229ee
Community Member

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it!

aeae80f4
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I do not see a link anywhere on Upwork to upload my Bank Statement, IRS Notice, and DBA Statement for bank verification. The Upwork chat is of no help, and I have been waiting for almost 10 days to get my verification done. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Hitesh

Hi Hitesh,

We have checked with our verification team and are happy to let you know that the name mismatch has already been resolved. You may log into your account and check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
640f0081
Community Member

Hello JoanneP,

I added a method on May 9th and I still get the name mismatch on payment method prompt despite the name on  my payment method matching the name on my verified Upwork account. Kindly look into my issue.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths