🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sassy_programmer
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

My name on Upwork and Paypal account are same as "Hamza Jamshed" but still upwork is saying, "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Can anyone help please with this ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Soner,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

In case you're adding a company account, the team will reach out to complete verification. You'll be asked to provide personal identification as well as one of the following:

• An original bank statement showing the company name, as well as your name
  • A business license showing your name and the company name
  • Articles of Incorporation showing the company name with you as an authorized agent/owner

You can learn more about this in this help article.

If it’s been more than 4 business days and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, you can contact support by: 

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,653 REPLIES 1,653

Hi Megan,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team handling your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted now. Please allow 3 days for the payment method to become active. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
d1583375
Community Member

Hello,

My upwork name matches my payment method name, however, Upwork is saying it's mismatch.

How do i resolve this, please. 

Hi Amuche,

I checked with the relevant team and can confirm that you should no longer see that mismatch on your end. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
9518d2b9
Community Member

My friend is japanese. His name is 田邉晃季

When ID verification, he input "Akiki Tanabe" by the english name. but not verify.

In several network, The name is translated in chinese. So, How can I input the name?

Hi Hideomi,

Your friend may use the international form of his name for his profile information, as the system won't accept those characters. If your friend is having trouble with the verification process, it would be best if he contacts support directly for assistance. We cannot share the details of another user's account for privacy reasons. 

To access our support services, it would be best to follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the Help Center’s navigation bar and select the “Contact Support” option.
  2. Choose the “Chat with Upwork” option to initiate a conversation with our chatbot.
  3. Type in a question or topic and click “Send.” The chatbot will provide relevant articles related to your question.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
0171af55
Community Member

I'm a new freelancer and I completed a job and was paid and I just got an ongoing contract but I opened my profile using my nickname as my first name.  My bank has my legal name.  I cannot change it in my profile as it's locked because they say it's verified (which would be my legal name on my id)  so now I cannot get paid and have no way to fix this.  I've tried to contact support only to have the chat disconnect over and over and send me to the same place where I can make no change.  So I guess i cannot receive the payment I earned or take the new contract unless I go off the upwork site and work directly for my client? And I forfeit my payment I earned already? 

so to clarify the client released payment and I was told to set up a method to receive it.  That's when I found the issue and I'm unable to fix this despite trying every avenue offered on the support site. 

Hi Lisa,

I checked with our verification team, who confirmed they will assist you through a support ticket. You can access the ticket here

~ Joanne
Upwork
1e524727
Community Member

I changed my profile name exactly as my bank account name, but still give that the name didn't match, what should I do?

Changing the name of the profile along with the name of the bank may match.

(Mariya Tabassum)

b6b62888
Community Member

Please how do I edit my verified name on Upwork?

The bank details I provided have my first name, middle name and last name but my Upwork profile only has my first name and middle name .

Please how do I change this because Upwork can't verify my bank account because of it .

Hi Esther,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. You should be able to start using your payment method. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ahmedmokhtar39
Community Member

Hi, community.

I am happy to ask you, kindness.
I tried to add my Local Bank but there will be the trouble of "The beneficiary name is mismatched" ?, what should I do?

- My upwork profile name is "Ahmed Mokhtar".
- My name on visa is "Ahmed Mokhtar".
- My name on ID card is "Ahmed Mokhtar".
- My paypal profile name is "Ahmed Mokhtar".

Looking forward to hearing your advices.
All the best.
Ahmed 

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. Your payment method will now undergo security verification and become active in three days.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2aa76e70
Community Member

I've added two bank accounts for 'get paid', and the names on the accounts match my Upwork account name (it seems to me).  I'm getting flagged with the 'Beneficiary Name Mismatch' error.

Is Upwork Support usually who can help me resolve this error?

Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I followed up with the team handling your case and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
450f1d26
Community Member

I want to add a bank account in my Upwork, but Upwork showing that beneficiary name on my payment method does not match the name on my Upwork account. I have changed the name long ago and verified it. I am getting mail that payment method  updated in financial account "wiz retoucher". How can I change the financial account name to my Upwork name "Ashfak Rahman Sukh"? I am frustrated trying to get help from Upwork help center as it's take me to a chatbot only which is no use. I need help urgently.

The same with me! Why won't the chatbot or the support page let me open a ticket! I have a unique situation regarding why it's unmatched and I need the help of a human!

Hi Christine,

I checked but don't see a payment method with a mismatched beneficiary name on your account. If you haven't already, you can try adding it, and if you get the error, the relevant team will review it to ensure it's correct. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Ashfak,

I see that you've recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. An agent recently replied with more information to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
0c18d63f
Community Member

Hi Richard,

I checked and can confirm that one of our agents responded to your ticket. You can access the ticket here. If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to post them in the ticket, and the team will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
mo7amedmoh
Community Member

Hello,

appreciate your support as I am getting the below message while adding Paypal as a payment method however, there's no mismatch 

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

Hi Mohamed,

I checked, but I am no longer seeing the error that your name is mismatched; however, it shows that you have not yet completed the form W-8BEN. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork. You can find more information on this page

~ Joanne
Upwork
6a226a91
Community Member

Hi community, I am a new freelancer on Upwork, from Indonesia. In my case, I have completed all the bank details and changed my account name to the same name as my Indonesian bank account, but then when I go to the payment method setting, it still says that my name is not aligned with my Indonesian bank account - just because My name stated as " F " which stands for FRANSISCA (my baptized name). Is anyone has ever been in my case? What is the best advice to do to resolve this? 

Appreciate any answer :')

Hi Fransisca, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you via support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
fevu
Community Member

I've created my upwork account a while ago and now im trying to be active and update my profile so when i add payment method it says your name doesn't much with your upwork account because when i created my upwork account i used the shortened name of my last name, and when i try to update my last name it keep saying it's under review and it requires 48hrs.

Hi Feven,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I followed up with the team handling your case and your name mismatch is now approved. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
omar2085
Community Member

My name on Upwork and Paypal account are same as "Omar Mamdouh" but still upwork is saying, "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Can anyone help please with this ?

Hi Omar,

Thank you for your message. I see that your payment method is already accepted. Please update the Tax Information page to activate your payment method.

- Pradeep

Upwork
sharaf24
Community Member

My name is the same in PayPal and Upwork and the bank account.. but you keep saying that (Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account. ) the naaaames are the saaame .. please help

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for reaching out. We've escalated this to the relevant team and can confirm that your beneficiary name has been successfully verified. You should be able to start using your payment methods by 3/19/2024.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2f45e2c7
Community Member

Hi, I don't know why after I tape my bank adress, I got this message: The beneficiary name is mismatched. What things can I do to resolved it?

Hi Louis Jaures,

I checked your account, and I can no longer see any name mismatch error. It appears like you need to complete the W-8BEN form. 

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a valid W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax. Please check out this page for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
a9c299a3
Community Member

I need to resolve the issue of "The beneficiary name is mismatched."
I have confirmed that the account names are the same.

This issue has occurred before, and with your assistance, it was successfully resolved once through a transfer. However, after the completion of the transfer, no changes were made to the data, yet the same problem of mismatched account names has arisen again. Please assist in addressing this issue and preventing its recurrence. Thank you.

Hi Huilan,

Thank you for your message. I followed up with the team handing your request and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is already active now.

- Pradeep

Upwork
03ff6ae9
Community Member

I am currently experiencing the same issue. I have been adding my payment method but it keeps saying that the name is mismatched, please help because it is not and I don't have any other payment method. 

674924cf
Community Member

Why doesn't my name match? How to fix it I want to withdraw money using PayPay, but it doesn’t work

Hi Anastasiia,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is already accepted and will be active starting March 24th. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
britton_jordan
Community Member

I have tried everything to get my names to match up. I have tried the name change methods provided by the help center, I have deleted and re-entered my accounts, and I have gone through the step-by-step methods shown in the forums. I can't figure it out and I could use some help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths