🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add local bank account
Page options
8d5c5032
Community Member

Unable to add local bank account

Hi,

I am a freelancer from Canada. I can't enter my local bank information to get paid. When I try to enter the institution number and transit number, it didn't gave me the option to go to next page. I checked my bank information for many times, and I am pretty sure everything is right! Please help me to set-up my payment detail. 

Thanks,

Ruiyu

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gulnihal,

We’ve designed the process of Adding a Direct to Local Bank payment method to be as straightforward as possible. To add your bank account: 

1. Go to Settings  Get Paid
  2. Click Add Method
  3. Click the Set Up button for your chosen method
  4. Enter your bank account details, including bank codes
  5. Choose a payment schedule and click Next

Important things to know:

• For security reasons, your new payment method will become active in three days.
  • Check that the name on your bank account matches your verified name on Upwork. If your payment method was flagged for a name mismatch, please contact support to resolve the issue or add a new payment method.
  • You should also contact your bank if you're not sure you have the correct information, or if you received an error when you tried to enter it into our system.
  • Upwork charges $0.99 per Direct to Local Bank withdrawal. Any additional restrictions, timing regulations, and fees vary depending on your bank.
  • Be sure that you enter your bank information, including bank codes, correctly. We want you to get your money on schedule and any errors could result in a failed transfer or delay. If you've exceeded the character limit on the Name on Account field, please contact your bank to get an appropriate abbreviation.
    • Since some banks aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the bank code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

650 REPLIES 650

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for following up. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

PFA the screenshots.

Upwork team, kindly fix this issue for your Indian Freelancers.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Mangesh,

Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct sort code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, you have the option to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ''enter branch address manually'' under the bank not found a section of your bank information tab. Feel free to follow up if you have further assistance.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi, I've just joined Upwork and I'm setting everything up. 

I am trying to add my business bank account as a payment method but there is an issue when I enter the bank sort code.

I am using a business bank account with Mettle (business bank based in the UK) and their sort code is not being recognised. I can't seem to progress further past this point.

Thanks!

Hi Stefan,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your bank code. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello I am having the same problem. Can someone please reach out and help me? I also have a UK Santander business bank account and the sort code is not being recognised. If I click the green link to enter my banks address manually there's a popup with links to how to find my sort code but no actual option to enter an address manually. Please help me or else I cannot progress my account. Thank you kindly. 

Hi Levi,

On the pop-up that appears you should be able to see the "enter it manually" option here.​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

If you don't see this option, could you please send us a screenshot so we could check?

~Andrea
Upwork

Aghast this issue - so prevalent and old - is yet to be resolved.

I already use many apps that identify my bank using the same sort code.

Feels a bit lazy on Upwork's part.

Hi David,

Could you also try to enter your bank account manually by following the steps Andrea shared in her post below?

• On the pop-up that appears you should be able to see the "enter it manually" option here.​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details.

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

That introduces a margin for error which is decidedly dicey when managing
financial data.

What I want is when I type in my sort code as requested, you recognise it.
The last time I checked, HSBC was a pretty big banking organisation and
every other app I use that requires this information, pulls the data in
straight away - without me adding bank details manually.

Come to that, I don't even have a street address for my bank - and I
suspect many others are in the same boat.

Hi David,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Why would you not then follow up with the solution in this thread for people still having this issue 2 year later?

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please clarify if you need any assistance from our end? 

~ Nikola
Upwork

My Bank SWIFT code as advised by the bank is QNBAEGCXXXX which is not recognized by Upwork. Upwork however recognises the code QNBAEGCX.

I think the code recognized by Upwork is for the bank's main branch only.

Please help!

Hi Rana,

Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the SWIFT code? Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct SWIFT code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, could you please try again to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ''enter branch address manually'' under the "Bank not found" section of your bank information tab?

~ Nikola
Upwork

I've completed my first piece of work for a client and would like to bill them for my hours. I went to set up a payment method but it won't recognise the sort code.

It's not that I'm waiting the 3 days it takes to set up, it's that it won't recognise the sort code at all and therefore I can't register my bank.

I bank with Starling and am based in the UK.

Please can Upwork contact me or could someone give me some insight into how to fix this.

Hi Rosie,

Could you please follow the instructions Nikola shared in his post below:

• Could you please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the SWIFT code? Additionally, please contact your bank and confirm if you have the correct SWIFT code. If the bank confirms that you have the correct code, could you please try again to enter the branch address manually by clicking the green link ''enter branch address manually'' under the "Bank not found" section of your bank information tab?

If you're still experiencing any problems after this, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I have just set myself up on Upwork. I am trying to add my business bank account as a payment method but there is an issue when entering my bank sort code. The bank I am with is a business bank in the UK called Starling Bank and is not being recognied. I can't seem to progress any further without solving this issue.

Any suggestions/solutions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Onder,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

I'm having the same issue. Unable to add revolut sort code 

Hi Noel,

I'll have one of our customer support agents reach out to you directly and assist you further.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

Hey. Also with Revolut here and having the same problem. Did you end up finding a solution?

Cheers

Hi Robin, please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I put correct swift code of the bank, but platform cannot find it. So I cannot register payment method.

Hi Lena,

Please check this help article for more information about the correct format of bank codes. That said, since some banks aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case, you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals. Let us know if you're still having trouble after trying that and we'll be happy to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi

trying to add Starling bank but does not recognize sort code. Seen some posts to say this has been resolved? any advice much appreciated.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kajal, please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~Andrea
Upwork
fb0bf7c0
Community Member

Ok great, thanks for your help.

I'm having the same issue with Tide - is there any support available for this?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Chris, please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. That said, since some banks that aren’t in our database or have recently changed their information, your bank details may not be recognized. In that case you can enter your bank information manually by selecting the "enter branch address manually" option. On the pop-up that appears click "enter it manually."​ Once clicked, a new form will appear to let you enter your bank details. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank before entering changes manually in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hey there 🙂

I seem to be having the same issue as everyone else - I'm with Monzo, its not recognising the sort code

is there any chance someone could contact me please 🙂

Hi Charleigh,

Just to confirm, did you try to add your payment method manually following the instructions Here? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I'm also having the same issue trying to set up payment with Starling Bank in the UK.

Can't enter the details manually because Starling Bank doesn't have an address.

Hi Steve, 

Could you please check if the address listed by the bank here is accepted by the system? 

~ Avery
Upwork

Upwork was unable to recognize my Monzo bank. The sort code is 04-00-04, I was only able to enter it as 040004 and it still wasn't recognized. I filled it in manually, will I be able to receive money?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Simona,

Yes, you're free to enter your bank information manually. You may want to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank in order to avoid potential problems with withdrawals. Please check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I've put in Monzo's sort code manually and Upwork still doesn't recognise it?

Hi Phil,

Thank you for reaching out. Have you tried to re-confirm the sort code and other information on file with your bank? If not, you may want to consider contacting your bank for assistance and try entering the changes manually. This way we can avoid potential problems with your withdrawals.

Let us know if you still need further assistance after consulting with your bank and we'll look further into this for you. Feel free to check this help article for more information about the correct format of the sort codes. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
c05b1d6e
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Based on what I've seen on this forum, This is a common problem for UK freelancers and an issue that Upwork is well aware of. So lets not waste time with this back and forth about contacting my bank and if I've put the sort code in in the right format (FYI this comes across as quite patronising) because I've already attempted both previously and neither have fixed this issue. What would be more constructive would be if a Product Manager or someone who has access to the Upwork roadmap could tell me if integrating uk digital banks onto Upwork is on that roadmap. If it is then I'm happy to wait until that feature is launched.

Apologies if I sound curt, but I'm not interested in dancing around this or being told if I've put my sort code in the right format again.

Hi. I am unable to add a bank account. It's saying it doesn't recognise the sort code and won't accept it manually. Is there a workaround pls? 
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths