🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Can't add debit card to hire from UpWork
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
0b8ff3aa
Community Member

Did anyone ever solve this issue of declining bank for you?  I can pay one Freelance but not another.  

b98e9c8f
Community Member

Hi,

My payments will not process. I have tried with credit cards using two different banks. I have contacted both banks - they are telling me there is NO ISSUE on their side and the payment should work fine. Please help me with this.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi J H,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties processing a payment using your billing method. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5b38d11d
Community Member

I am a client from india. As i am hiring a freelancer and creating milestone & adding funds. It shows this:

Screenshot upwk.png

I am trying from last 2 weeks, but the issue remains same. I also changed the payment methods, but nothing works. Please suggest me the best solution, so that i can fix this issue. Thanks

Hello Kashmir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
4ab6f78e
Community Member

I am trying to hire a freelancer and my credit card details are being rejected. I get the following message:

4ab6f78e_0-1700822299079.png

This has happened for three differnet credit cards. The customer support is beyond useless. You can't chat with a real person, the bot just directs me to some online articles (which, of course, are useless) and then ends the chat. There is no way to get a different result and so I've jsut gone round and round in circles.

It's very frustrating and I am compeletely stuck

Thanks

Oli

Hi Oli,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your billing method and contacting our support team. Let me have this escalated to them so they can assist you further. One of our agents will be getting in touch with you via this support ticket.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Oli, did you find a solution?

0844202a
Community Member

Hello,

I tried to pay with card, but its not working.  There is no issue with my card.

Can you please check this issue?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Carlos,

I see that you've raised several support tickets about your billing method concern. Please continue coordinating with the team through a single and active ticket on this page so that the team can assist you more efficiently. 

We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
eccf1d1c
Community Member

Since I live in Ukraine, only Visa and Mastercard are available to me. I added 4 of my bank cards as payment methods. But every time I want to make a payment it cancels. First, money is withdrawn from my bank account, but then after 5 minutes it is returned. This has already been happening for several days. What should I do please tell me.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Eduard,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. I'm sorry to hear that your payment wasn't going through. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. 

Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
eccf1d1c
Community Member

I want to hire a freelancer and provide him with work, but when I want to make payment, the following picture appears. The money is withdrawn from my bank account and then I receive a notification that the transaction was not successful and after 5 minutes the money is returned to me. I have already connected 6 of my bank accounts and none of them are working. Also, perhaps this plays some role, I am from Ukraine and only Visa and Mastercard are available to me.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Eduard,

I'm sorry you're having trouble paying the freelancer. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
eccf1d1c
Community Member

OK thank you very much. I will be waiting for your feedback.

f629cca5
Community Member

Hi,

some time back I hired one freelancer and then I tried to pay her(approve milestone)but I faced some errors then I connected to the Upwork community and payment was done but not been updated on Upwork so far.
and now after posting a different job, I am trying to rehire the same freelancer but I faced the same payment issue. please let me know what happened. please solve this problem.
Best Regards
Shabnoor

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Shabnoor,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
f9bad45f
Community Member

Hi there,

I have a recevied a proposal from a freelancer but I have been unable to hire him as my deposit payments is not going through.  I have tried with four differnet cards but nothing.  Now the proposal link is not even working.  Can someone help?

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
29122ac3
Community Member

I am trying to pay my first invoice for services.  All three of my payment methods have been denied.  They are all valid payment methods.  Can't get support.  Please advise.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joe,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this. I'm sorry to hear that your payment wasn't going through. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. 

Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cf1357e5
Community Member

I want to deal with freelancer and when I want to pay him this message appears to me ! I contacted the bank and they said that you have a full balance and that the card works perfectly and there is no problem with the accounts !!

This is the message !

We are unable to authorize your card as the billing details you entered does not match with your bank or credit card company. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.

Hi Faisal,

I'm sorry you're having trouble using your billing method. I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern. Kindly allow more time for the team to review this and assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
58c46610
Community Member

I'm trying to pay a freelancer.... I pay using PayPal.... Paypal pays..... then Paypal immediately refunds me the full amount a minute later..

I cant get out of this loop, and the chatbot is useless.

What is the problem?  What is the solution?

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Robert,

You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork, as the transaction cannot be completed from our end. Once you've added an alternative payment method, please let us know if the issue continues.

To check which payment source failed on your PayPal account, follow these steps:

• Go to the "Payments" tab and click "Manage automatic payments."
  • Click on the billing agreement associated with "Upwork Escrow Inc."
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and check what funding source is your backup.
  • Update the backup source to a valid payment method and re-attempt the payment.
If the transaction fails again, the next step is to contact PayPal directly. Specifically, you'll want to talk to a PayPal Tier 2 agent and ask why your transaction to Upwork was declined.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d3b0615d
Community Member

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Rad,

I see that the team has reached out with more information about the status of your account and instructions on how to clear the issue. Feel free to coordinate by responding to the email and the team will assist you accordingly. You may also visit the ticket linked to your case on this page for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d3b0615d
Community Member

The issue in ticketing system is marked as "solved". Yet my entire account is still suspended. I updated the valid credit card at least 4 days ago.

I honestly have to admit that upwork's support is quite terrible. I have wasted amazing amount of time chacing something that should be easy addressed. And entire support page seems to be forcing user to go over pretty much un-relevant articles and information. I like upwork very much when all is good, but when there is issue, even small one it seems like upwork is a broken system.

89223a19
Community Member

please help me i have everthing correct details

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Elbos,

I see that you've added an alternative billing method and were successfully charged. Adding more than one billing method may help avoid account disruption in case a transaction fails. You may want to check this help article for available billing methods for your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
bf10fb9b
Community Member

Same problem! 😞 Milestone 1 payed, but can not fund Milestone 2. Tried different cards. Please, help. I see this:

Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Emma,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Please contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. 

~ AJ
Upwork

Bank says everything is okay. The payment is reversed from Upwork side after the charge.

Hello Emma,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
8692a9c7
Community Member

Hello, 

I am trying to hire a freelancer for my job on Upwork. I have tried three different banks with three other credit cards. The amount seems to be withdrawn from my account, but I see the payment method failed sign, and I cannot hire the freelancer in the end. When I checked my credit card charges, I noticed that the amount was withdrawn, and within minutes, the amount was returned to me for some reason. I called my bank, and they said the transaction went through without a problem, but Upwork seemed to cancel it. They said there was no problem with security on their end. Please help me. I need to hire a freelancer for this job ASAP. 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Burak,

We understand the urgency of your concern. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your case the attention it deserves. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a47bb79b
Community Member

Problem with payment method failed

Hello,

Create an unanswered case with more than 24 hours without a response.

Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason and keeps declining it.

I try with several cards and the error persists, I cannot hire the freelancer.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Olga Patricia,

~ Arjay
Upwork
410777a3
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and i would like to understand how to proceed with payment methods.

i tried several types but no one of them works ad i get a notification that says that My payment method it's not accepted and to contact customer support. 

What I can do? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Againe fill the payment method with the same name and account 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths