🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing met...
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226

Marin,

Click the above Support link for assistance.

The "Support" option only gives whatever blogs and information there is out there but no direct option to submit a ticket to other support team? A bit appalling for one of the biggest platforms out there? 

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Marin,

I'm sorry to learn about this experience. I see that you've contacted our support team via chat, and a support ticket has been raised with your account status concern. I can also confirm that your case has been handled accordingly, and your account's limitation has now been lifted.

Looks like you're all set! Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
88e71855
Community Member

How do I get someone who's not a bot to have a look at my account? I saw this notification banner starting Monday. It seems my card was declined. I've since updated both the primary and backup credit card, however the banner is still there and my contractors are unable to submit hours

I've attemped to go to the support page and "start a chat", but that bot takes me in circles, asking me to try the same thing over and over again ("add a new credit card and pay down your balance" -- which I've done multiple times now).

I cannot find a way to get a human in the loop so they can look at my account, because I've followed all directions and nothing has worked. Please help soon! I know this is the community board, but I'm hoping someone here can forward my plea to a support person. 

88e71855_0-1708018582006.png

Thank you.
ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Brian,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with further assistance in clearing the issue with your financial account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6d51427e
Community Member

I cannot add a credit card to billing method on my account.  The screen spins then times out.  Tried Safari on Mac and Edge on Windows.

Hi Simon,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble while adding a billing method to your Upwork account. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
dfea1559
Community Member

Almost 4 days later, and still no resolution for the same issue... support ticket and all... 

You all DO know that you have competitors, right?

Hi Alex,

We're sorry for the delays in getting back to you. I have followed up with the relevant team handling your ticket. Kindly allow them time to review your case. Someone from the team will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
dae7d525
Community Member

Hello.  I am a client and since last week have been having trouble with Upwork accepting my payment.  The card on file was denied due to unavailable funds but that has been retrified.  As instructed by Upwork support, I contacted my bank to remove the block from the card.  I've went in to update the card, also instructed by Upwork support, but Upwork is still blocking the card although my bank has released it.  I can't get any help from support as I've been trying to get this resolved all week.  I need to pay my caller and get us back to working our project.  Need help!

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Belinda,

I can also see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team for your case via a support ticket. I understand the urgency of your concern as to why you want this issue resolved as soon as possible.

I've submitted a follow-up to the team handling your case to give it the attention it deserves. Please expect an update on your ticket and email momentarily. We thank you for your patience and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you Arjay for responding. I did get an email Friday saying that support will be doing a manual withdrawal.  How long will that take to be completed?  I haven't been able to continue my project with my caller since last week.  

47a3c466
Community Member

Hi Upwork

I'm a client and my payment doesn't work. Whenever I trieded to pay, upwork refunded it and I can't pay.

for first contract, payment worked well, but from next payment, upwork doesn't work for payment.
payment page also has bug.

I hope upwork resolves this problem.

Thanks

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Vanessa,

I'm sorry if you're having difficulties processing payments on your account. I see that you've reached out to our support team and raised a ticket about this experience. Please allow our team 24-48 hours and you will get an update on that ticket once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
124c2633
Community Member

Hello,

My name is Annie Anderson, and I'm reaching out regarding an issue I've encountered on Upwork. I am in need of hiring a freelancer urgently for a project, however, I'm encountering difficulties initiating the contract due to a card issue.

Every time I attempt to proceed with the "Fund Contract and Hire" action, a pop-up notification appears stating: "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

Given the urgency of the project I'm undertaking, I am eager to resolve this matter promptly. Could you please advise on the steps I should take to rectify this issue?

Best regards,

Annie

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Just want to say I am available and in need of the work I can be reached at a hampton1077@gmail.com. thank you for your time and have a beautiful day

Fast sollution: use Paypal. It works good in many cases.

Slow: contact support to check whats wrong with your card.

What is $10 Markeplace fee? I didnt saw it before. New fee for clients added?

I've already tried using another bank card, but no luck - same issue. Any idea what's going on? This project is super important to me right now, so any help ASAP would be awesome. 

124c2633_0-1708379847242.png

fe037bf4
Community Member

Hi,

I tried to hire someone. My card was charged twice but i received no booking or confirmation of payment.

PLEASE HELP

same here ! i was chared twice , once the offer was rejected and the other i was charged but there was't a contract yet !!

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Lulu,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist you further with your billing concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork

chatbot is useless

unable to create tickets, what sort of platform is this

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Daniel,

I looked closely, and It appears your bank is declining the transaction you're trying to process. Have you tried contacting your card-issuing bank for more information about these transactions? Additionally, please click on my name and send me a PM with screenshots of the charges you're referring to. We'll surely have that reviewed and assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8d026815
Community Member

Hello I was tring to hire one freelancer and I clicked "Fund  Contact and Hire" button and the money deduced from my card and upwork sent it back to my account for some reason.

Hi Yared,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
dc677d80
Community Member

I'm trying to make a payment and it's not allowing me. I getting the following error: ''Unfortunately your browser or extensions are preventing us from updating your payment information. Please try to change browser or disable all browser extensions''. I have tried to use the clean install browser (no extensions) and try from different browsers from the PC laptop and also used the incognito browser nothing is working 

Please respond and find a solution

Greetings, we are waiting for the latest update.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties processing payments from your account. I've escalated this report to a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of the team members will reach out on this page with more information and further assistance in resolving the issue.

~ Arjay
Upwork
3bbaf284
Community Member

I'm trying to hire a freelancer, but I'm getting the following error:

Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

I entered all Master card information correctly.
I deposited $100 onto my Master Card.
I ask for your help.

Hi Mykhailo,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello

I am going to hire a freelancer.

but couldn't charge the billing method I selected.

This problem has occurred before and has occurred again.

I hope you resolve this quickly.

I have attached an image.

Hi Mykhailo,

I'm sorry to learn this is happening to you again. Since a support ticket was already created to help you with this issue, you can reply to the ticket directly with this information. This will automatically reopen it, and once the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6c435b06
Community Member

I used to use wise card to pay, but upwork fails to accept wise card payments.

And there is no way to solve this problem with chatbot, in addition, I couldn't submit a ticket.

Please reach out to me and help me to solve this problem.

Many thanks.

ArjayM
Community Member

Hi Elson,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties setting up a contract with your cards as a billing method. Generally, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

For more details about these billing method options, you may visit this help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6c435b06
Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I've tried to contact my card-issuing bank, but there is no issue.

Seems like there is platform issue, could you kindly help me to resolve this?

2cfde9a0c21736a4
Community Member

I tried to fulfill a contract from a freelancer but kept receiving the following two error messages when trying to process payment:

• “Unfortunately your browser or extension are preventing us from updating payment information. Please try to change browser or disable all browser extensions”.
  • "Payment disabled"

Disabling all browser extensions and using different browsers (Safari and Chrome) did not work. Chat Support was not helpful. Though it looks like the payment was unsuccessful and the contract status is not updating, my credit card has been charged multiple times.

Please create a support ticket and assign a support agent to follow up on this issue urgently.

Hi Naomi,

I'm sorry for the trouble you had. I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
c64023e7
Community Member

how do i fix this?? 

Hi Patrisha,

I'm sorry to learn you're experiencing this. Could you please contact your card issuing bank about the specific decline error if you haven't already? If the problem persists after that, let us know so we can assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7ad6530f
Community Member

Thank you.
I received these message several times and all information are correct.
So, I have already tried with several cards, but I have the same issue as yet.
I'd be happy if you help me.

Thank you.

Hi Dawar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths